follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #183
ravisraval

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
So then you feel the kit should clear the 17x9 +35 w/o spacers?
yup
The Following User Says Thank You to ravisraval For This Useful Post:
MaximeT (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #184
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximeT View Post
The kit looks really good.
I took that with my phone :
Let us know how that works out. I'm currently saving up for a kit soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to frslee For This Useful Post:
MaximeT (11-24-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #185
Rafi@RR-racing

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Rafi,

What is your thoughts on mixing the Sport Rears with the compition fronts? I see you have a holiday sale going on, that is a $100 of the purchase of a F/R sport kit. But, would prefer the 6 piston fronts.

I think that its a great combo. Based on our track testing and all the feedback we have received from the numerous customers we have who track their 86's, this car benefits tremendously from more rear bias.

Rafi
Old 11-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #186
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi@RR-racing View Post
I think that its a great combo. Based on our track testing and all the feedback we have received from the numerous customers we have who track their 86's, this car benefits tremendously from more rear bias.

Rafi

Is it too much rear bias? I know you mentioned that the stage 2 rear for competition setup should have rear aero, what that right?
Old 11-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #187
Rafi@RR-racing

Quote:
Is it too much rear bias? I know you mentioned that the stage 2 rear for competition setup should have rear aero, what that right?

We originally developed the Stage II rear caliper setup for cars with rear downforce. But since we have done that, we tested that setup without rear downforce and had no issues at all, definitely no rear lockup.

We have done a lot of road testing with the Sport Performance rear kit, and no rear lockup issues either. Balance is really good.

Neal from The Racer's Line tested our rear kit on a customer car, without rear downforce, in the rain at Leguna Seca -- so even in the rain, we did not get any reports of rear lockup or ABS activation on the rear brakes.

BTW, Phil from Element Tuning is not only running our Stage II rear calipers, but he is now also using Hawk DTC60 pads in the rear, and much lower friction pads in the front! So the bottom line is that the 86 really benefits from increased rear bias.

Rafi
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rafi@RR-racing For This Useful Post:
MaximeT (11-28-2015), solidONE (11-29-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:12 AM   #188
ハチロク

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Next week we will have front rotors that match the Sport Performance kit rears. I will post pics of the new front rotor option that matches rears by next week.

Any progress on this? I think I'll be buying the stage I front kit if it will work with the dba rotors. I think I'll be able to make the money work out if I can use paypal "bill me later" feature. As long as the price doesn't change too significantly for the dba's.
The Following User Says Thank You to ハチロク For This Useful Post:
djdnz (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #189
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
We originally developed the Stage II rear caliper setup for cars with rear downforce. But since we have done that, we tested that setup without rear downforce and had no issues at all, definitely no rear lockup.

We have done a lot of road testing with the Sport Performance rear kit, and no rear lockup issues either. Balance is really good.

Neal from The Racer's Line tested our rear kit on a customer car, without rear downforce, in the rain at Leguna Seca -- so even in the rain, we did not get any reports of rear lockup or ABS activation on the rear brakes.

BTW, Phil from Element Tuning is not only running our Stage II rear calipers, but he is now also using Hawk DTC60 pads in the rear, and much lower friction pads in the front! So the bottom line is that the 86 really benefits from increased rear bias.

Rafi
Thanks! I know I feel the need for more rear bias, I have noticed abs activation on the front end of the car on the hard braking corners of our local track. Currently running dtc60s f and r on stock calipers.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #190
Rafi@RR-racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ハチロク View Post
Any progress on this? I think I'll be buying the stage I front kit if it will work with the dba rotors. I think I'll be able to make the money work out if I can use paypal "bill me later" feature. As long as the price doesn't change too significantly for the dba's.

Almost man... sorry for the delay. We should get the DBA pattern front rotors this coming week, will post pics soon.

Nice thing is that you are in NJ, so you will receive the order really fast (we are near Philly).
The Following User Says Thank You to Rafi@RR-racing For This Useful Post:
ハチロク (11-28-2015)
Old 11-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #191
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's a good question, generally the Stage II and IV will not fit stock rims because they use much wider calipers to accommodate thick pads.

So if you want maximum clearance, you need to go with Stage I or Stage III which use the more narrow caliper. Rear should fit no problem with stock wheels.

That said, for the front, even with the Stage I or Stage III, you will still need approx. 10mm spacer for stock wheels.

You can download the wheel fitment templates off of the description page of each brake kit on our site.

-Rafi
@Rafi@RR-racing

This is a picture of the stage 2 front template and Wedssport TC105N 17x8 +42 wheels. There is about 6 mm clearance towards the bottom. Assuming there is some thermal expansion at track temps, how much space would you recommend at a minimum? Thanks!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 12-07-2015, 03:17 AM   #192
stevo_12v

Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Are the STAGE I compatible with DBA T3 4000's for our cars??

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...ont-rotor-pair
Old 12-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #193
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes, regarding BBK fitment for stock wheels, what you wrote is correct.

The Sport Performance Rear 4 piston BBK is a huge value proposition because what we achieved is more heat capacity AND a big shift in rear bias which benefits braking performance tremendously. The rear pad wear rate is much less than fronts, so the thickness of the pads is plenty sufficient. You will find that the rear pads will still outlast the thick pads we use on our front BBK's, so this is a non-issue.

Next week we will have front rotors that match the Sport Performance kit rears. I will post pics of the new front rotor option that matches rears by next week.

Bias chart:
Hi,

Looking on your website you have two options for the piston diameter of the sport performance rear kits. Am I correct to assume the column on the right is with the larger piston offered with the sport performance rear kit?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #194
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ハチロク View Post

It works with the DBA rotors, I'm running them
Old 12-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #195
Panman

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_12v View Post
Are the STAGE I compatible with DBA T3 4000's for our cars??

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...ont-rotor-pair

Stevo, That's what I'm running on my car with the Stage 1 Kit - Brisbane.
The Following User Says Thank You to Panman For This Useful Post:
stevo_12v (12-08-2015)
Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #196
Rafi@RR-racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post
Hi,

Looking on your website you have two options for the piston diameter of the sport performance rear kits. Am I correct to assume the column on the right is with the larger piston offered with the sport performance rear kit?

Sport Performance kit only has one piston option. We have 2 piston options with our 2 piece 13" rear Competition kits.

Rafi

Closed Thread

Tags
big brake kit, competition, track