follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #29
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panman View Post
A fatter/wider tyre will make the problem worse, not better. You'll be reducing the ground pressure of the tyre and therefore decreasing the amount of water needed to "lift" the tyre to aquaplane.

Firstly you need to reduce speed (drive to conditions) - any tyre will eventually float if you are going fast enough in bad conditions.
what do you mean ground pressure? wider tires doesnt make the car heavier. it will make the contact patch shorter probably so a larger percentage of the contact patch is used to move water rather than asphalt.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #30
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
what do you mean ground pressure? wider tires doesnt make the car heavier. it will make the contact patch shorter probably so a larger percentage of the contact patch is used to move water rather than asphalt.
Pressure is force per area. Since the corner weight stays the same, decreasing the contact patch/area increases the pressure of the contact patch, which helps push the water into the grooves and helps with moving water.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=16
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #31
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
Pressure is force per area. Since the corner weight stays the same, decreasing the contact patch/area increases the pressure of the contact patch, which helps push the water into the grooves and helps with moving water.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=16
the contact area is a function of the weight of the car and the tire pressure (more or less). not so much a function of the width of the tire.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #32
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkahle View Post
For those of you who kindly posted that I was going too fast so sorry but i never broke 50 mph the entire trip. And yes the traction control was on and at time I even had the snow mode on for extra traction need be. Yes i know what hydroplaning is compared to the lack of grip that is expected when the roads are wet. Thank you for those of you who were kind enough for your recommendations. I am looking into all seasons now as the life span of my SS's seemed to suck anyways.

Not trying to be harsh, I was out in the weather too and there's plenty of cars in the ditches around here still from people going too fast. Another thing to keep in mind is that our cars are light, which is going to make it easier to hydroplane as well.

MPSS's aren't really designed to pump water out of the tread, they simply run a combinations of compounds that allows it to grip in dry and wet conditions. Meaning, if the road is wet, they're great, if the road has standing or moving water on it, you're going to hydroplane.

Tread designs that move water are pretty obvious (as most are derived from the first real testing for this stuff by Goodyear and the Aquatred tires that came from it). Main point is swept back grooves that channel the water out instead of trapping it under the tire.

Personal experiences, I had good luck with Kumho SPT's...but they don't last very well and it was on a far heavier car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Snow mode doesn't give extra grip. All it does is help wheel spin on starts.

And it does this by starting in second gear instead of first, so it's mostly pointless if you can control your right foot (at least in the rain).
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #33
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bf-G sport comp 2
Kumho SPT

So wait was it 60mph or 50mph? Either way you should slow down. Esp if u can't control it 😐

Sent from my toolbox
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #34
Rifle
EX-86 Supercharged God

Drives: '16 Series.HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I went Continental ExtremeContact DWS06s, 255/40s.. but then again, I have to deal with snow, winter in general, and summer conditions. #allseasonpls
Old 10-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #35
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkahle View Post
For those of you who kindly posted that I was going too fast so sorry but i never broke 50 mph the entire trip. And yes the traction control was on and at time I even had the snow mode on for extra traction need be. Yes i know what hydroplaning is compared to the lack of grip that is expected when the roads are wet. Thank you for those of you who were kind enough for your recommendations. I am looking into all seasons now as the life span of my SS's seemed to suck anyways.
then why the hell would you say this if you never went over 50!?!?

Thanks for the replys, and I actually hydroplaned at 60 mph and I wasn't accelerating. This occurred during the storms yesterday in the Dallas ft worth area. After ******* myself I turned the snow mode on to help gain extra traction need be and to my surprise the tires broke loose again less than 30 minutes later at about the same speed. So I'm hoping a fatter tire will help with the issue.

Y realize people can read your previous post so no saving face for you
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #36
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
?
Texans thinking everyone else is Texan and can't remember what OP had said previously. Trying to no longer sound like a moron by pretending he wasn't going fast? I guess
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #37
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Heard the new conti dws 06 is really good, wanna be a white mouse??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:01 AM   #38
makesdrivingfunagain

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure if the tires had the correct PSI in them at the time of this occurrence. If you got the air from the gas station by my house the other day you would know it was off by about 8psi. I think I should check my tires for proper air inflation more often. I need to order a new gauge.
makesdrivingfunagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #39
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
If you have the cash i would go with the PSS but if you are low on cash. The pilot sport a/s 3 is also a good choice.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:52 PM   #40
dpgfunk

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2013 BRZ
continental DW
dpgfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:30 PM   #41
football751

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm in a similar position. Currently have the MPSS and love them, but I only got about 15k miles from them. And in central Texas it's getting cooler and wetter, so I'd like to go with an A/S tire for this next go around. Might be able to time it right and get new tires by the summer to go back to summer tires (I drive a lot).

Anyone have experience with the G-Force Comp-2 A/S? Best rated tire on TireRack, though I know that's from consumer reviews, and they're cheap at $100/tire. Willing to spend more if it's worth it though. I know I won't get the dry traction I have with MPSS, but I'm looking for the best dry traction i can get while increasing the hydroplaning resistance and wet traction.

And for those wondering how the OP was going 60 mph with standing water...we live in Texas. 2-lane county highways that often have standing water are 70 mph, not that you should go that fast. 4-lane highways are 75 mph and occasionally have standing water. In all seriousness you'll get run off the road by an 18-wheeler in Texas if you're going less than 60 mph on any decent-sized highway. So whether the OP was going 60 mph or 50 mph, that's a reasonable speed to go in Texas when it's raining. Just a fact of life. We're just trying to get the best hydroplaning resistance and wet traction we can and then go from there.
football751 is offline   Reply With Quote