follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2024, 07:01 PM   #1
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front control arm bushings (KCA434 and W0905) installation and impressions

I installed the Whiteline front control arm bushings (KCA434 and W0905) recently. I thought I prepared well, read all the horror stories and watched all the installation videos. Took one control arm off the car, pretty easy (with a few taps to get the ball joint to release). Tried pressing out the bushings with an improvised press made from scrap wood and a bottle jack. The bushings laughed at me and didn't budge at all.

I then reached out to a local guy I met at a track day last summer. He runs an enthusiast shop that specializes in custom tools and hardware, mostly for older BMWs. He was game trying to help me out, so I removed both control arms and stopped by. After a couple of hours and several attempts, we managed to get both bushings from one control arm and press in the Whiteline bushings. This involved a lot of muscling around and percussive persuasion with a BFH with a screw-and-pipe type of puller. That was with the first prototype of the tool. The second prototype (using some very clever locating pins and dual-purpose pieces) was much better and using an impact gun on the screw made it much easier. He's now offering the tool at his shop, and has plenty of pictures of how to use it staring my very own right control arm (so I won't plagiarize them here). Based on my experience with these bushings, even access to a proper hydraulic press isn't enough - you have to have exactly the right diameter of pipes/cups to successfully press them out. A well stocked shop might have exactly what it needs on hand, but otherwise it would cost even more to fabricate the right items.

Once installed on the car, I feel a subtle improvement in steering directness, especially in rapid direction changes. There might also be a small delay that was removed when steering, but nothing major. Overall I'm quite disappointed that the difference is so small (bordering on placebo), especially considering the cost of the bushings and the effort to install them. You live and learn, but these go in the list of "probably shouldn't have bothered" mods for me.
Ohio Enthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (04-28-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 09:34 PM   #2
cueball89

Drives: 23 BRZ 15 Impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting tool. I wonder if the bushings on my Impreza are the same size as the BRZ. The big bushing on my Impreza is trashed after 145k miles.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 10:52 PM   #3
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball89 View Post
I wonder if the bushings on my Impreza are the same size as the BRZ. The big bushing on my Impreza is trashed after 145k miles.
You should be able to measure the bushing diameter with the control arm on the car. The bushing protrudes from both sides of the arm and you can put calipers on it with the wheel removed (at least on the BRZ). The BRZ bushing is 60 mm in diameter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
cueball89 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 11:00 PM   #4
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball89 View Post
I wonder if the bushings on my Impreza are the same size as the BRZ. The big bushing on my Impreza is trashed after 145k miles.
You should be able to measure the bushing diameter with the control arm on the car. The bushing protrudes from both sides of the arm and you can put calipers on it with the wheel removed (at least on the BRZ). The BRZ bushing is 60 mm in diameter.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:10 AM   #5
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,336 Times in 7,387 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
After doing these myself years ago I always recommended people don’t do this unless they are WELL prepared. I had access to massive industrial hydraulic power unit driven presses and it was still a PITA. It’s hard to get the fixturing to a point to press everything out/in since there are not many workable surfaces on the control arm.
norcalpb (04-28-2024), Ohio Enthusiast (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 02:11 PM   #6
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,218 Times in 520 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I put these bushings into my car, I was a lot happier after I changed them for the PCI spherical front and Hardrace spherical rear.

With that said, the front bushing isn't the worst to do on a home press, but that rear is absolutely terrible. I'd have happily paid for a tool to remove it instead of what I did - totally worth it
Old 04-28-2024, 11:59 AM   #7
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
I put these bushings into my car, I was a lot happier after I changed them for the PCI spherical front and Hardrace spherical rear.
Do you street your car? How well are the sphericals holding up? I daily my BRZ, including winter with snow and salt, so probably wouldn't work for me...
Old 04-28-2024, 02:49 PM   #8
cueball89

Drives: 23 BRZ 15 Impreza
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post

The shell does appear to measure right around 60mm with the calipers. I'd have to get the car up in the air to verify it, I only crawled under the car. The shell doesn't protrude on the Impreza. I'm guessing it's probably the same diameter.
cueball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cueball89 For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (04-28-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:53 AM   #9
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,218 Times in 520 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Do you street your car? How well are the sphericals holding up? I daily my BRZ, including winter with snow and salt, so probably wouldn't work for me...
I don't really, no. I for sure wouldn't run them on a car that sees winter