follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #127
redphaser

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
... once I had the pin out, I used a pair of channel lock pliers, with the pedal up I just clamped the top and bottom spring pearches in the jaws, then pressed the pedal to the floor with my other hand, let go with the pliers and it shot right out.
I wish I had enough posts to thank you for this one. I just did the removal and fought with that SOB for nearly an hour before finding this, which did the trick.

The clutch feels so much better without the spring. It feels more "mechanical" in a way, and less like the clutch from a gaming wheel. I still need to drive it around for a few days to get fully adjusted to it, but I took it around the block and I definitely will not be going back.

Thanks all!
redphaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #128
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redphaser View Post
I wish I had enough posts to thank you for this one. I just did the removal and fought with that SOB for nearly an hour before finding this, which did the trick.

The clutch feels so much better without the spring. It feels more "mechanical" in a way, and less like the clutch from a gaming wheel. I still need to drive it around for a few days to get fully adjusted to it, but I took it around the block and I definitely will not be going back.

Thanks all!

You are welcome, glad it worked for you. I wrestled it for a while too before I tried that.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:10 PM   #129
klittl06

Drives: FRS?
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I took a look today at my clutch pedal but it doesn't look like the spring rotates at all when pressing the clutch. It just looks like its making the pedal harder to push (like someone mentioned on the first page).

I don't have a difficult time driving the car by any means, I just prefer a stiffer clutch. My clutch as is seems to have a "dead spot" for the first inch or so as many have described post spring removal.

I wonder if the original owner messed with it... My car didn't come stock, so I guess it's a possibility. Or maybe I'm just being dumb; I'm open to both scenarios.
klittl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #130
eric6

Drives: 93 MR2 Turbo; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I just wrote a decent how to on this modification. Took me 15 minutes learning how to do it and taking photos along the way.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84622
eric6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eric6 For This Useful Post:
flippy (05-01-2015), Slysdexia (03-19-2015)
Old 03-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #131
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just removed this over the past weekend. Should have done it a year ago.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #132
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The Gs and 370z have this exact same problem, and people reported a bit of free play when they removed their spring as well. Some members swapped it with a lower rated spring, and that seemed to be a balanced solution of increased pressure plate feel with no free play in the pedal (by keeping a softer spring in there).

If anyone won't miss their spring too much, mind sending one to me? I'm going to try to experiment with different spring replacements and I misplaced mine :/
I know the free play isn't a big deal but I figure it's something I can fiddle with and fine tune while waiting for my other parts to arrive.
kbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #133
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tried to do this today, couldn't get the Damn pin out. I tried with the clutch pedal depressed also. Anyone have any tips?

Last edited by D_Thissen; 06-29-2015 at 07:45 PM.
D_Thissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #134
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Tried to do this today, could get the Damn pin out. I tried with the clutch pedal depressed also. Anyone have any tips?
Get the biggest flat head you can fit in there and use the thing holding the pin/spring as leverage.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #135
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
But what really worked well, was once I had the pin out, I used a pair of channel lock pliers, with the pedal up I just clamped the top and bottom spring pearches in the jaws, then pressed the pedal to the floor with my other hand, let go with the pliers and it shot right out.
After taking the pin out I almost got a hernia trying to remove the spring. Locking Pliers saved my day as it was so easy to remove with them using this process.

It has been a week after removing the spring and adjusting the pedal height and I can't understand why the car did not come like that stock.

I learned MT on this car so I was already adapted to the original setup, but this mod instantly improved all my shifting activities. I can up/downshift so smoothly now. I can take of from stoplights faster as well.

No more guessing where the clutch engages. I just want to drive and drive...
Old 05-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #136
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Get the biggest flat head you can fit in there and use the thing holding the pin/spring as leverage.
Right on, thanks! Ill try again later. I think Ill just bust out the pry bar instead
Old 05-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #137
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Tried to do this today, could get the Damn pin out. I tried with the clutch pedal depressed also. Anyone have any tips?
For the pin lock it didn't matter whether the pedal was depressed or not. That helps when you take out the spring. For the pin I pushed it back from the ends of the U shaped lock with a set of pliers. It comes in and out sideways, so you would be pushing the pin lock towards the front of the car. There are some good pictures on this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84622

After removing the lock i used channellock pliers to push the end of the pin. Once the pin moves back a bit, I used the flat screwdriver and some force to pull it out using the pin head,moving the pedal up and down a little bit. while pushing it out.

For the spring removal, get a set of locking pliers and lock it at the top and bottom of the spring assembly. Once it is locked, press the pedal and the spring assembly will separate from the pedal, allowing you to push it back and take it out. Took a couple attempts as the pliers were not tight enough, but a lot easier than trying to do it manually.

Last edited by Aozora.BRZ; 05-05-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Aozora.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #138
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Great review on removing the clutch pedal spring but I've noticed that no one has commented on clutch adjustment for aftermarket (High Performance) clutches... I've been looking on our forums but it doesn't seem that anyone is running a heavy duty pressure plate (Exedy Hypersingle, ClutchMasters FX400/500, ACT stage 4+, etc).

I'm guessing this mod might not benefit those that have heavy racing clutches?....

Just my two cents but I hope some peers will chime in on this thought.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #139
DemonRawr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6M
I would like to ask if ANYONE have discover that the removal of the spring actually causes the clutch to slightly be engaged even without any pressure on it? About a month after removing the spring (car is at 12,000) the clutch began making squeaking noises everytime you depress it during the first 15 minutes of driving. I do NOT ride my clutch as I just rest my foot on the dead peddle. Even if I did from everyday driving, how can it wear out so early? So that brings me back to my question... Does removing the spring cause the clutch pedal to sit lower, thus causing it to engage? Can someone reply back ASAP?

Last edited by DemonRawr; 05-12-2015 at 06:43 PM.
DemonRawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #140
Cuchullain

Drives: 2013 GBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonRawr View Post
I would like to ask if ANYONE have discover that the removal of the spring actually causes the clutch to slightly be engaged even without any pressure on it? About a month after removing the spring (car is at 12,000) the clutch began making squeaking noises everytime you depress it during the first 15 minutes of driving. I do NOT ride my clutch as I formed a habit of just resting my foot on the dead peddle. Even if I did, how can it wear out so early? So that brings me back to my question... Does removing the spring cause the clutch peddle to sit lower, thus causing it to engage? Can someone reply back ASAP?
FWIW my spring has been out for approximately 10,000 miles, and I don't get any squeaks. Soon after I removed the spring I also added a bumpstop behind the pedal to shorten the distance to bottoming out the pedal, and more recently I have replaced the clutch master cylinder to the smaller bore one. No problems
Cuchullain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuchullain For This Useful Post:
DemonRawr (05-12-2015), jcw99 (12-21-2015)

Tags
clutch helper spring, helper spring removal