follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #7029
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This is a long asssssssssssss thread but glad to say I have read every damn page.... Finally

I was super excited to read about the 1.5 dump pack conversion and have to say this is the route I shall take on my car 100%.

When will the next batch be coming down the pipe line? I am planning way ahead of time but when I get my company bonus in December / January ish, @Robftss is the first person I am talking to, then @shiv@vishnu , then I'll take my GF out to dinner
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GotBRZ1691 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-07-2014), DC2R (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #7030
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
This is a long asssssssssssss thread but glad to say I have read every damn page.... Finally

I was super excited to read about the 1.5 dump pack conversion and have to say this is the route I shall take on my car 100%.

When will the next batch be coming down the pipe line? I am planning way ahead of time but when I get my company bonus in December / January ish, @Robftss is the first person I am talking to, then @shiv@vishnu , then I'll take my GF out to dinner
Congrats on finishing the thread. I only managed because I jumped in around page 134. With how long it is now, I wouldn't even try it.
If you are wanting this in December/January, you really should contact Rob and get put on the list ASAP. From what I understand, the waiting list is over 50 people. And previous batches were I think under 20 units. I think I got on the list for the 3rd batch back in May. I know he is having parts problems right now, so turnover could speed up, but he will only need more of those same parts later so I would not wait, plus you can always back out later. I am sure there will be someone to fill your spot.

In the mean time, If you are set on your course of action, I would not wait to contact Shiv. You are going to need a tune eventually to run the phantom, and unless you plan to buy a used OFT, they will likely cost the same in 6 months as they do today. Plus you get 6 months of driving around with the extra power of a stage 1 tune for no extra charge .
DAEMANO (08-07-2014), Sojhinn (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #7031
rinnamon

Drives: Toyo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious why batteries are used instead of a super capacitor to deal with rapid and frequent charge / discharge cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #7032
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
the capacity is too small and they discharge too quickly + price
Old 08-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #7033
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post

I was in a similar situation (although my wait was waiting to sell a motorcycle to buy the ESC). I could afford the OFT, so I bought it first. Having done that, I'd recommend going ahead and getting the OFT if you don't already have it and can afford it. It's an improvement worth the $500 on it's own. Then you'll already have it for when you get the ESC... install, re-flash and you're good to go.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #7034
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
Gas mileage - Yes, it does consume more fuel and yes the needle does drops faster. Tbh I dont give a *^%$. I wanted more power and am fine with the consequences. One point to make is that if I stay out of boost and drive casaul the car will consume fuel in the same manner as stock.
Thanks for the review... but actually, the casual cruising mileage will be better than stock if your experience is like others of us.

Yes, the needle drops faster when using the ESC... but after the initial first week of testing and engaging it over and over, I found that the overall average mileage is better than stock - the efficiency of the OFT tune and the ESC at cruising speeds more than makes up for the higher fuel usage when engaged.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #7035
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post
I was in a similar situation (although my wait was waiting to sell a motorcycle to buy the ESC). I could afford the OFT, so I bought it first. Having done that, I'd recommend going ahead and getting the OFT if you don't already have it and can afford it. It's an improvement worth the $500 on it's own. Then you'll already have it for when you get the ESC... install, re-flash and you're good to go.
I will be getting one once my parents send my tax return check to the west coast. For some reason it was sent back east and my parents just told me
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GotBRZ1691 For This Useful Post:
robwbright (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 PM   #7036
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Here it is

http://www.datazap.me/u/boofneenee/e...zoom=2958-3079

4.21 boost is a lot of fun. If I engage it sooner I get more boost and lower in the rpm range. I have hit 4.8 something already.

I am no expert but from my limited knowledge I can say that this 3rd gear pull looks really good.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #7037
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Yeah the thread is so long because we talk about a wide range of things here. But it's a welcoming place. Btw- anyone need a crazy ass gaming keypad with an analog stick built in? The analog controller is controlled by a teensy board and the mechanical switches have been upgraded to cherry mx's.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407374527.257419.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  207.3 KB

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel

Last edited by Sojhinn; 08-06-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #7038
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Yeah the thread is so long because we talk about a wide range of things here. But it's a welcoming place. Btw- anyone need a crazy ass gaming keypad with an analog stick built in?
Attachment 87316
I entertained the idea but settled for my Corsair mechanical keyboard :-)

glws
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #7039
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Here it is

http://www.datazap.me/u/boofneenee/e...zoom=2958-3079

4.21 boost is a lot of fun. If I engage it sooner I get more boost and lower in the rpm range. I have hit 4.8 something already.

I am no expert but from my limited knowledge I can say that this 3rd gear pull looks really good.
you're right...its perfect! Very good numbers on all aspects.

I was going to mention this earlier.....anyone getting surging at low rpms(very high engine load numbers at low rpm) should try adjusting their compressor to shot straight into the next pipe before the throttle body and DR sensor.

I found that mine was angled down and it was going weird surging at low rpm. Try and get it straight or even angled up a bit. Also make sure the compressor is pushed in all the way to the same silicon adapter.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #7040
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
you're right...its perfect! Very good numbers on all aspects.

I was going to mention this earlier.....anyone getting surging at low rpms(very high engine load numbers at low rpm) should try adjusting their compressor to shot straight into the next pipe before the throttle body and DR sensor.

I found that mine was angled down and it was going weird surging at low rpm. Try and get it straight or even angled up a bit. Also make sure the compressor is pushed in all the way to the same silicon adapter.
Thank you so much for picking up on that. you are correct. I see a spike here in engine load when engine load and rpms are the only parameters I am viewing. Will adjust tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #7041
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Relevant article. About future Bugatti
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...07-1019iy.html

"Further changes are also said to be in store for the induction system. Nothing is official at this stage, but suggestions are engineers at Bugatti parent the Volkswagen Group’s engine development headquarters in Braunschweig, Germany are looking to equip the unusually configured unit with electric turbochargers in a move aimed at improving its already prodigious low end torque as well as improving efficiency levels through gains in thermal qualities".
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keen as For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-07-2014), Gums (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #7042
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you so much for picking up on that. you are correct. I see a spike here in engine load when engine load and rpms are the only parameters I am viewing. Will adjust tomorrow.
Yours may be a normal amount... I am really talking about the people that spike to load rating of 5.

Either way it is easy to get the compressor a little misaligned. Straight is obviously the best way but sometimes it doesn't want to go that way naturally so you have to loosen both fittings and align.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive