follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
guy

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Emission and noise restriction in DMV

Hi, just want to see if anyone know the emission and noise restriction in DMV area (I live in tyson's corner).
I'm thinking about getting a cat-back exhaust system, but afraid to have troubles on the inspection and emission test.
Anyone already get the aftermarket exhaust on the car? I also want to get some advice on choosing all these exhausts. The US.ver TRD exhaust sounds pretty good, I would love to get something sounds like that or a little bit louder. But I definitely don't want something so loud that disrupt my neighbors and attract cops.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The way that the exhaust law works in VA is such: If you add any form of exhaust component to the car outside of OE it's illegal. This is to say that you could even have a muffler shop replace an old rusted existing exhaust with a newer quieter exhaust and they could still deem it as illegal.

Trust me. I had enough encounters with VA finest to know and have researched the law ad nauseum.

The only way around this is an OE aftermarket arm like TRD, SPT, AMG. etc product that states it is a 50 state legal system.

Oops edit: As for Safety/Emsissions, as long as the OE cats or aftermarket replacements are visible, no CEL's present and no exhaust leaks, you will pass your safety/emissions. This will also be dependant on how thorough the specific inspector is.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beyer Subaru For This Useful Post:
guy (10-31-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
sastexan

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had no issues with the Policia in my old Contour SVT with open headers and modified exhaust. Oh, the cat had a leak in it too - so it was LOUD. My kids would come running to the door when I was 1/8 mile away because they could hear the car coming (at 30 MPH too). No neighbors complained - I got a few comments - most of the complaints came from passengers because of the drone (and I got tired of it too).

Of course, Maryland does not inspect the cars once they are titled in state (that car did pass an emissions test though - even with the MIL eliminators tricking the rear O2 sensors).

I plan on getting an exhaust at some point in the not-too-distant future. Gotta do some year-end budgeting, sell my old snow tires/wheel set, etc.
'11 Odyssey EX-L - familymobile and hauler - food-encrusted carpets and other appropriate features
sastexan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sastexan For This Useful Post:
guy (10-31-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
_F-R-S_
Banned

Drives: 13 whiteout scion frs
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What isnt illegal now adays.
_F-R-S_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
guy

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
The way that the exhaust law works in VA is such: If you add any form of exhaust component to the car outside of OE it's illegal. This is to say that you could even have a muffler shop replace an old rusted existing exhaust with a newer quieter exhaust and they could still deem it as illegal.

Trust me. I had enough encounters with VA finest to know and have researched the law ad nauseum.

The only way around this is an OE aftermarket arm like TRD, SPT, AMG. etc product that states it is a 50 state legal system.

Oops edit: As for Safety/Emsissions, as long as the OE cats or aftermarket replacements are visible, no CEL's present and no exhaust leaks, you will pass your safety/emissions. This will also be dependant on how thorough the specific inspector is.
So basically, with an aftermarket system I can pass all the inspection and emission with no problem. But if I meet a shitty cop, I might be pulled over?
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
So basically, with an aftermarket system I can pass all the inspection and emission with no problem. But if I meet a shitty cop, I might be pulled over?
this has been exactly my problem.

I had an aftermarket exhaust on my old jetta that was quieter than my friends stock GTO. I got a couple tickets for it, first one was written for "aftermarket exhaust". 4 years with no emissions problems though.
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
Yep. The only caveat is the Cat. If an inspector is strict enough and he doesn't see a Cat in place you can fail the visual inspection. There by failing your emissions inspection.

I had a high-flo in my downpipe that was wrapped. The inspector tried to be a hard ass and almost failed me. I had to take him out in the shop and lift the car to show him that I did in fact have a Cat installed.

The exhaust laws like many of the automotive laws in VA have been revised annually since the 60's.

The conclusion that I came to for "modding" a car is:
You are allowed to mod if it is a farm/agricultural vehicle that weighs over 5,000 pounds or if it is an antique/hot rod. These are the only two sure fire ways that I found that you can be "legal" to mod in VA.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote