follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Dogster70
;)

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Frs low idle dip and dies multiple times in a row

Hey guys so I have a 2013 frs and after long research on low idle dipping and how it could be an ecu issue or a battery issue or a ton of different things I was hoping one person could please just direct me in one way, so to start off I'll list my mods, I have a full speed by design turbo kit borla down pipe over pipe combo 770cc injectors, 265lph fuel pump, tuned ecu by exutek flex fuel kit running e80 and I have had no issues until recently.

So recently after start up and driving to work or start up and driving anywhere I noticed that the cars idle dips very low, and constantly dies tons of times in a row it's so aggravating and makes me look like a jackass when I'm pulling into a parking lot and my car dies on me 3 times in a row(ps it only dies at low rpm or idle I.E. pulling into a parking lot or coming to a red light, so my theories are that either
A. I have a low voltage battery that isn't functioning properly when at low rpm/idle. Since when sitting still or low rpms the battery is what the car uses to power the vehicle electricity.
B. A vaccuum leak somewhere, originally I actually did have a vaccuum leak from my oil catch can which I knew would cause that so I took the catc van off, the idle and all that ceased to exist for a few days but then started doing it more so and probably even worse after I removed t and hooked the pcv valve back into the intake,
Or C. I just had a new puck clutch installed around 500 miles ago I figured that it was me that was possibly stalling the car but after the 500 mile break in I felt like it was getting worse, so I thought maybe the clutch wasn't engaging properly?
And last D. Possibly a bad ground somewhere on the car, when I took the car to the mechanic to get the clutch in I noticed that there were some things that weren't full bolted down properly or with the proper bolts/plugs/fittings. So maybe they screwed up somewhere along the lines.
Anyway guys I really appreciate the help and look forward to hearing your responses.
Dogster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogster70 View Post
Hey guys so I have a 2013 frs and after long research on low idle dipping and how it could be an ecu issue or a battery issue or a ton of different things I was hoping one person could please just direct me in one way, so to start off I'll list my mods, I have a full speed by design turbo kit borla down pipe over pipe combo 770cc injectors, 265lph fuel pump, tuned ecu by exutek flex fuel kit running e80 and I have had no issues until recently.

So recently after start up and driving to work or start up and driving anywhere I noticed that the cars idle dips very low, and constantly dies tons of times in a row it's so aggravating and makes me look like a jackass when I'm pulling into a parking lot and my car dies on me 3 times in a row(ps it only dies at low rpm or idle I.E. pulling into a parking lot or coming to a red light, so my theories are that either
A. I have a low voltage battery that isn't functioning properly when at low rpm/idle. Since when sitting still or low rpms the battery is what the car uses to power the vehicle electricity.
B. A vaccuum leak somewhere, originally I actually did have a vaccuum leak from my oil catch can which I knew would cause that so I took the catc van off, the idle and all that ceased to exist for a few days but then started doing it more so and probably even worse after I removed t and hooked the pcv valve back into the intake,
Or C. I just had a new puck clutch installed around 500 miles ago I figured that it was me that was possibly stalling the car but after the 500 mile break in I felt like it was getting worse, so I thought maybe the clutch wasn't engaging properly?
And last D. Possibly a bad ground somewhere on the car, when I took the car to the mechanic to get the clutch in I noticed that there were some things that weren't full bolted down properly or with the proper bolts/plugs/fittings. So maybe they screwed up somewhere along the lines.
Anyway guys I really appreciate the help and look forward to hearing your responses.
Hope you find some help with this

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If its worked fine for ages and it suddenly playing up at idle
check for intake and exhaust leaks

leaky BOV is common
also exhaust gasket leaks or manifold cracks upstream or near02 sensors.

check your long term fuel trims at idle if they are high like over 10% you lkely have leak.
If they have been disabled in tune ie ltft is always zero, check the AFR at idle it should be arround 14.7 in most cases if its way different check for leaks
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Dogster70 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Dogster70
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
If its worked fine for ages and it suddenly playing up at idle
check for intake and exhaust leaks

leaky BOV is common
also exhaust gasket leaks or manifold cracks upstream or near02 sensors.

check your long term fuel trims at idle if they are high like over 10% you lkely have leak.
If they have been disabled in tune ie ltft is always zero, check the AFR at idle it should be arround 14.7 in most cases if its way different check for leaks
yeah i was actually kinda feeling like i may have heard an exhaust leak recently, i also used to use a small ecu monitor to view my boost and afr that plugged into my obd2 i just started driving without it and it recently stopped dying on me, you think there could be a possible reason why it would die with that monitor on?
Old 08-23-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogster70 View Post
yeah i was actually kinda feeling like i may have heard an exhaust leak recently, i also used to use a small ecu monitor to view my boost and afr that plugged into my obd2 i just started driving without it and it recently stopped dying on me, you think there could be a possible reason why it would die with that monitor on?
Obd device should not make car die unless maybe the connection is bad or the device is putting crap signals onto can buss
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #6
Dogster70
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Obd device should not make car die unless maybe the connection is bad or the device is putting crap signals onto can buss
Hmm is there any way to test that?
Old 08-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Dogster70
;)

Update: im missing a bolt that goes into my exhaust side of my turbo manifold. i also hear a slight exhaust leak and im dripping oil from my oil line that goes from my oil temp sensor to my turbo. i also feel like there could be a vacuum leak from where my blow off valve meets the back of the intake lines.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #8
Dogster70
;)

another update. i guess having a super light weight fly wheel also doesnt help with the idle issue.

Tags
bad battery, dying thread, rough idle, vacuum leak