follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Imperius

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
H.P.D.E Day List

Hello everyone,

I have signed in for Vatkins Glen Int HPDE Day April 28 and was wondering what should I bring with me, its only one day and Ill be driving my car to the trek.

p.s my car is in stock configuration.
Imperius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Rescodna

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (WRB)
Hey Imperius - I'll be there on the 28th and 29th. Here's a list of what I'm planning on bringing with me -

Helmet. This is self-explanatory.

A change of clothes or two. It might be wet and I expect we'll be required to drive with both windows down - that's been the rule in other organizations that I've tracked with.

Completed tech inspection form. You can find a copy in .pdf format on NASANE's website here - http://nasane.com/wp-content/uploads...Tech-sheet.pdf

Track day insurance paperwork. I saw your other thread about insurance so I'll put my two cents in - I think it's a good idea for anyone that's uncomfortable with the thought of losing their car if something unexpected happens. I'll be insured and I'll have my paperwork on me just in case.

Water. Seriously, bring plenty to drink and make sure you keep drinking throughout the day.

Spray detailer, a microfiber cloth, windex, and paper towels. All this stuff is so you can get a nice, clean surface on your car to attach your numbers to.

Painter's tape. I know NASANE will be selling vinyl numbers there but if they happen to run out of the one(s) you need or you just don't like them you can always make your own with painter's tape. Yeah, it looks kind of ghetto, but it works and it's cheap.

Tools. Think about anything you'll need or want to do. I know I'll want to pull of my front license plate and bracket so I'll bring everything I need to do that. Some people (like me) bring a torque wrench and sockets to check lug nuts at the beginning of each day or between sessions. Some people will want a tire pressure gauge and air compressor available. Some people like to have a jack, jack stands, and a bigger selection of tools available to do more involved jobs just in case.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

When you get there on Monday look for the WRB BRZ with #36 on it and come introduce yourself.

From what I gathered so far there will be a lot of FT86s there.
Rescodna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Imperius

Hello Rescodna, and thank you for sharing

Helmet - I will be renting one once I'm there, its around 20$, didn't want to buy one since I'm not sure about this hobby as it tends to cost a lot down the way.

Insurance - I got one from OnTrackInsurance.com its recommended by NASA, cant afford to walk away from my car.

Car Numbers - I was thinking of doing it with Plasti Dip and a stencil on spot, it drys quickly and easy to remove.

I was thinking of bringing a spare brake pads for all 4 wheels just in case, mine are stock.

Questions:

Completed tech inspection form - should I take my car to a garage to do the inspection ?

I assume you ware assigned a garage since you are attending the 2 day event, is there any place/lay down area for a 1 day participants?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Rescodna

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ (WRB)
Originally, I was under the impression that I could have my car tech'd right there at the track and save myself the trouble of having a 3rd party mechanic complete the tech inspection form ahead of time. When I asked, though, I was advised that I should have the form completed by a 3rd party mechanic prior to my arrival. That didn't seem right to me if I'm also going to be required to go through tech there (I think I will still have to) but I just went with it - I figure I'd rather be safe and cover my bases.

I was assigned a garage but I gave it up - I'm not planning on doing any serious mechanical work while I'm there so I'd rather it go to someone who will want to use it for real work between sessions. When I asked, I was told there was spot at the front of the garage for belongings.
Rescodna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
You should have the tech sheet filled out and signed before you get there. PCA is like that as well. Other items to consider:

1. If you are running track brake pads, swap em in before you go and bed them in properly. If you haven't already, flush your brake fluid.
2. I prefer to bring a 2nd set of tires in case you have more than 1 pop. That way if you aren't trailering your car, you can still drive home.
3. Bring torque wrench, basic tools in case of leaks (including flare nut wrench for brakes), ODB scanner to reset CEL in case you get one, extra fluids (oil, coolant, water, etc), tire pressure gague, small notebook and pen for notes (areas to improve, hot tire pressures, etc), air pump, gloves, painters tape
4. Tent/canopy for shade/rain protection
5. Lunch/ bbq grill and snacks
Old 04-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
lol just hit back and saw this:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25485
Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperius View Post
I was thinking of bringing a spare brake pads for all 4 wheels just in case, mine are stock.
Good idea. Be sure you know how to change them, too.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I will also be attending Watkins on the 28th and 29th (only a spectator on the 29th).

Not sure what number i am yet. I put down three numbers in the registration. I'll be in a white FRS with bronze rims.
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #9
Imperius

I will be with WRB BRZ number 510 with white wheels . see you there