follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #29
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
I'm averaging about $200 for a trackday (this prediction aligns with my outlay from last year).
Dayum...
I instruct so I only have to pay a $50 fee for the time trial at the 2-day events I go to. But I tend to spend a freaking fortune elsewhere. Don't ask me what I spent on tires last year for only 13 track days...

Quote:
I don't think either approach is a bad way to go, I just know what I've found to work best for me.
Yup! Totally in agreement with you. Just wanted to be sure people know that reusable vinyl decals are a reasonably inexpensive alternative to magnetic for temporary use for track days. And they don't fall off!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
14stu (03-15-2019), Vesartis (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #30
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Dayum...
I instruct so I only have to pay a $50 fee for the time trial at the 2-day events I go to. But I tend to spend a freaking fortune elsewhere. Don't ask me what I spent on tires last year for only 13 track days...

Yup! Totally in agreement with you. Just wanted to be sure people know that reusable vinyl decals are a reasonably inexpensive alternative to magnetic for temporary use for track days. And they don't fall off!
I tried reusable vinyl numbers, but they were only reusable about 3 times. They picked up a ton of dirt and brake dust and wouldn't stick (they were a kind of sticker, I was expecting an electrostatic vinyl).

Our local SCCA Time Trial just got a place that does vinyl as a sponsor, I might have to check them out since I've won some contingency already.

The competitors in my TT class all mutually decided to run either RS4's or Falken Azenis 615k+ to keep costs down (it's a 200tw class and we didn't all want to have to run fresh RE71r's all the time).

I love the RS4's as track tires, they work well, last long, and are cheap. I recommend them to everyone at (or plans on going to) the track.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #31
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Static Vinyl is pretty great but you have to take good care of them, they get wrinkled easily and over time micro-scratches from applying with card and not keeping them pristine wears them down, 30-40 applications and they start to show their age imho. Still look good at 50/50 though.
(for anyone that doesn't know that's 50 feet away at 50 mph)

When you've got half a dozen different car numbers registered with different organizations for different cars and codrivers, home cut magnets are the way to go. Showing up to an HPDE or NASA or SCCA event for a full season with a consistent number, spending the $40 and looking good makes sense.

Shit I still use painters tape when I show up to the one Lotus club event per year I do where my number is like 681 or whatever.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #32
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,882 Times in 2,026 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14stu View Post
I tried reusable vinyl numbers, but they were only reusable about 3 times. They picked up a ton of dirt and brake dust and wouldn't stick (they were a kind of sticker, I was expecting an electrostatic vinyl).
I've been impressed with the reusability of the izoomgraphics numbers/letters. I'm not even that careful with them. 7 events, so 7 applications/removals, and could easily get a lot more, particularly if i'd be more careful and not remove them with greasy/grimey paws...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote