follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can I use any UV light to spot tracer fluid in my engine oil?

I bought this UV light on a whim after my dealership placed some tracer fluid with my engine oil: [ame]http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RV8PREI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_ detailpage[/ame]

I'm pretty sure there's a leak as it's seeping and I can see little fresh oil underneath (timing cover area driver's side). However nothing stands out when I shine in that area. Looking back on that site, it says it's for urine detection only however I thought UV was UV? There are two reports of people using it for engine oil leak detection in the reviews as well. I also checked the dip stick with the UV light and the oil shows up, but it's not bright at all. Doesn't stand out.

I'm beginning to wonder also if the dealership even poured tracer fluid in there. it's not in the notes and the guy lied to me twice saying they cleaned the engine after determining there wasn't a leak and that he also drove in the car as passenger after fixing my throwout bearing. I took a look underneath thet next day and it was still the same baked up oil residue underneath and my dashcam revealed only one driver in the car. I'll be going back to have them check but I'm pretty sure th ey'll say they can't find any UV leak. I have a backup appointment at another dealership 3 days later, but just curious.

Last edited by tracerit; 02-27-2016 at 10:06 PM.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, hello, again @tracerit .........

(what an appropriate forum name for this thread .... )

So, you're still chasing your elusive timing chain cover leak.

Well, yes, if the dealership did in fact add a fluorescent dye to your engine oil, and it is leaking, you should be able to see it with the "black light" (UV light) that you purchased. If it is leaking it should appear as a yellow/greenish glow. Sometimes it's hard to see (a pair of yellow tint goggles help).

I know you would like for your car to be perfect and not leak a drop ..... but, I'm ah feared you might create a "leak" (ulcer) in your stomach trying to deal with it.

You might consider buying some fluorescent dye and adding it to your oil and get some yellow goggles and go hunting with your UV pistol.

Then you would have a "talking point" for your discussions with the dealer.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
tracerit

Haha yup, still dealing with it. I'm beginning to think it'll be okay to live with. I'll just clean it up every time I change my oil. Doesn't seem to be leaking, barely seeping. I think it's just bubbling up pretty much. I'll know more by Saturday...

I thought about getting my own uv fluid from pep boys but I want to see what thr first dealership says regarding not putting any uv fluid in. The grime is pretty much built up now. So it's definitely not normal. I'll probably go back to the same dealership that fixed it the first time.
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 12:14 AM   #4
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Haha yup, still dealing with it. I'm beginning to think it'll be okay to live with. ................. I'll probably go back to the same dealership that fixed it the first time.
Welp, keep us posted.

I suggest you just put away your magnifying glass and UV light ..... and ....... just go with the flow ........ get it, "go with the flow" .......

humfrz
Old 03-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
tracerit

Quick update. I bought my own UV fluid and another light (which ended up working the same as the first). The UV fluid in the bottle was super bright orange, definitely noticeable. However once I poured it into the engine, it diluted away lol. Can't even see it in the dip stick, so perhaps they did pour in the UV fluid... weird.

Anyways, I brought the car in and the second dealer also said "no leak". NOt a big fan of the language. Both dealerships said that to my face like the timing cover is perfectly fine and that there is no grime, burnt up residue and a slight line of fresh oil at the bonding sealant line. And as anyone can see, it's not. Granted it's not leaking onto the pan, it's seeping quite slowly. At least this time I had the opportunity to speak to the tech who basically said unless the oil is leaking onto the pan below, warranty won't cover any seepage. He said don't clean it at all and just let it get dirty to the point where it starts leaking so he can take pics and send it to Subaru of America to request warranty work. I almost got the feeling he was hinting that I should fake the scene lol.

Not sure how I feel about all this though.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Quick update. .................Not sure how I feel about all this though.
OK, last time ...... I recommend that you put your black light and magnifying glass away. Just slip a piece of cardboard under your car and if you see oil on it, take it back to the dealer.

Hells bells, back-in-the-day we would keep pans (like huge cookie sheets) under the vehicles to catch the drippings.

You know, I used to worry about stuff like that ...... until I wound up in a ICU for a week, back in St. Peters, MO, with tubes running down both sides of my nose into my stomach and an IV in each arm. Yep, the bottom of my stomach dropped out.

So, have a beer, watch a movie, let it go ........

humfrz
Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
tracerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
OK, last time ...... I recommend that you put your black light and magnifying glass away. Just slip a piece of cardboard under your car and if you see oil on it, take it back to the dealer.

Hells bells, back-in-the-day we would keep pans (like huge cookie sheets) under the vehicles to catch the drippings.

You know, I used to worry about stuff like that ...... until I wound up in a ICU for a week, back in St. Peters, MO, with tubes running down both sides of my nose into my stomach and an IV in each arm. Yep, the bottom of my stomach dropped out.

So, have a beer, watch a movie, let it go ........

humfrz
I'm gonna try haha. I told myself, whatever decision these dealers make in addressing the seeping (not going to call it leaking anymore lol), I'll be installing my Ace header but all three of my concerns with the car were rejected today. The seeping was rejected. My creaking clutch fork area was ignored, and possible rear axle clicking was denied diagnosis because I'm lowered (just a modest 1" drop with Tein Flex coilovers too). Just really feeling defeated today. Fortunately I can try doing something with the last two concerns. I love the car but man is it worrying me haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-05-2016)