follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #43
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
so if I read the OP correctly, cop was driving other direction, correct? & all suddenly, they flip a bitch and pulled you over...

When did cop's speedgun get so high tech that, they don't need to be in complete stop to get the accurate speed?
^ I would've asked to see the radar gun. Here in California if you ask that question and he fails to show it to you and gives you the "I could justify you were speeding by my judgement and me trailing you and having to catch up to you." If thecop give you that then it's a immediate take the ticket to court.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #44
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
so if I read the OP correctly, cop was driving other direction, correct? & all suddenly, they flip a bitch and pulled you over...

When did cop's speedgun get so high tech that, they don't need to be in complete stop to get the accurate speed?
Actually they do have some of those where I live(not widespread yet) but they are able to clock your speed (coming across from you) and the detector than substract their vehicle speed to the clocked speed and voila they have your actual driving speed and you are screwed.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #45
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's not all that high-tech, and it's been around for a long time. Some of the radar units connect to the police vehicle's speedometer and adjust the speed displayed on the radar accordingly. It's one of the reasons police speedometers have to be checked and calibrated periodically.

You can do the math in your head pretty easily. If you're traveling 50 mph toward a car that is traveling 50 mph toward you, a stationary radar in your car would read 100 mph based on the doppler effect alone. Then you just subtract out your speed (50 mph) to see that the other guy was going 50 mph. It doesn't take a supercomputer to calculate this on the fly if the radar is fed the police vehicle's speed from the speedometer.

There is also a type of motion radar that receives multiple readings on the object in motion relative to its surroundings and adjusts accordingly. But you don't really need that to get an accurate speed if you're feeding it the speedometer data.

In some states the cop doesn't even have to clock your speed. In shitty Texas, for example, a state trooper can stand in court and say that in his expert opinion, he visually judged your speed to be 80 mph. Because the courts in shithole Texas recognize sworn law enforcement officers as speed experts, and because they are presumed by the law to be telling the truth even when they make shit up, the cop's testimony that you were speeding will be accepted as solid evidence of your guilt unless you have some evidence to directly contradict it. So that means that a cop could actually just look at your car and say you were speeding, without having to have any technology at all.

I've been laughing at all these cops boohooing on the news about this bogus "war" that has been declared on them. If it's a war, they declared it long ago and have been winning it for decades.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #46
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
My first thought was to open up the boost on my turbocharger and hit the NOS button to see if I could beat him to the Oregon state line. Then I realized, that I did not have a turbocharger nor NOS, so I pulled over.
So when will the turbo kit be showing up?
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #47
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akari View Post
he can't afford it anymore, po-po's took all his spendin money.
humfrz (09-18-2015), Ultramaroon (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #48
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
That's not all that high-tech, and it's been around for a long time. Some of the radar units connect to the police vehicle's speedometer and adjust the speed displayed on the radar accordingly. It's one of the reasons police speedometers have to be checked and calibrated periodically.

You can do the math in your head pretty easily. If you're traveling 50 mph toward a car that is traveling 50 mph toward you, a stationary radar in your car would read 100 mph based on the doppler effect alone. Then you just subtract out your speed (50 mph) to see that the other guy was going 50 mph. It doesn't take a supercomputer to calculate this on the fly if the radar is fed the police vehicle's speed from the speedometer.

There is also a type of motion radar that receives multiple readings on the object in motion relative to its surroundings and adjusts accordingly. But you don't really need that to get an accurate speed if you're feeding it the speedometer data.

In some states the cop doesn't even have to clock your speed. In shitty Texas, for example, a state trooper can stand in court and say that in his expert opinion, he visually judged your speed to be 80 mph. Because the courts in shithole Texas recognize sworn law enforcement officers as speed experts, and because they are presumed by the law to be telling the truth even when they make shit up, the cop's testimony that you were speeding will be accepted as solid evidence of your guilt unless you have some evidence to directly contradict it. So that means that a cop could actually just look at your car and say you were speeding, without having to have any technology at all.

I've been laughing at all these cops boohooing on the news about this bogus "war" that has been declared on them. If it's a war, they declared it long ago and have been winning it for decades.
I'm pretty sure it's possible & engineers have made some. Have I seen one in my life? Nope, that's why I asked. It was just a simple question without any "anti-cop" nor sarcasm.

I'm not against cops. Anytime ppl speed &/or get caught speeding even 1 over, that's still breaking the law. Simple as that, am I gonna point someone's mistake? Nope, I'm guilty as well (speed once a while lol).
Old 09-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #49
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akari View Post
....... I think what I need more is a Buick with a governor on it ……

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #50
extrashaky

Quote:
It was just a simple question without any "anti-cop" nor sarcasm.
To be clear, I didn't think you were "anti-cop." I was just answering your question. It was a subject that was already on my mind, because in my trip down to McAllen last week I was hit by radar from moving troopers dozens of times, and that's not an exaggeration. There were literally (and I do mean literally) hundreds of troopers swarming all over down there, harassing people for fun and profit. The stream of them passing the other direction on my return was like an asshole parade.

My comments came from the fact that I take issue with ongoing police war against the people they purport to "protect and serve." Look at the headlines in just the last few weeks. A couple of dipshits in San Antonio were caught on tape gunning down a mentally disturbed man with his hands up. Five dipshits arrested a teenager at school who made his own electronic clock, trying to claim he had made a bomb. Cops in St. Louis refused to allow a paramedic to take a seriously ill man to the hospital, and when he went unconscious in his cell, they strung him up by his shoelaces to try to make it look like he committed suicide to cover up their mistake. Unfortunately for them he survived and is now talking.

And #1 and #3 were both white people, so it's not a race matter. It's a matter of cops declaring war on citizens and getting away with it for decades before the internet and cell phone cameras made it clear they have a serious problem. Then they have the unmitigated audacity to whine and cry on television about a few cops getting shot or assaulted, when police deaths are down this year, and cops have killed significantly more civilians than the other way around. If there's a war on cops, the cops are definitely winning it and have been for a long, long time.

So if my posts have an "anti-cop" tone, I think it's well-deserved based on their behavior--toward me, toward my car, toward black people, toward white people, toward teenagers and little old ladies like the one gunned down in her own home in Atlanta a few years ago or the woman in full diabetic shock they pulled out of her car and threw on the ground or the man having a stroke that they pepper sprayed and tasered, none of which anyone would have believed before widespread dissemination of video via the internet. It's about time police as a group stopped making excuses, cleaned up their own house and started showing the public a little more respect.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (09-18-2015), soulreapersteve (09-19-2015), strat61caster (09-18-2015), Target70 (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #51
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I was pulled over in my BRZ by a piece of shit Texas state trooper for doing 71 in a 75 mph zone. I was second in line in a group of cars, and the cop singled me out and gave me a bogus ticket. He admitted he didn't hit me with his laser. He claimed he clocked the whole group going 85, and since I was in the group, I was guilty. I know for a fact the group wasn't going 85 because we were all hemmed in by a truck in the right lane going 71 and an idiot in a minivan who had matched the guy's speed in the left lane and wouldn't let anyone pass. The cop was a lying sack of shit who deserves to have his badge shoved up his ass.

I sometimes have to go down to McAllen on the Mexican border for work, where the hillbilly Texas government has decided to send hundreds of troopers for the express purpose of harassing brown people. I rent a car when I go. I have a real fear that if I drove the BRZ, one of them would pull me over and accuse me of being an illegal Mexican drug dealer and impound my car.
It doesn't just happen to brown people. I have a very similar story which happened in Georgia. I am a white guy driving my wife's boring car but had out of state plates. Driving in a group of cars and was pulled over. The deputy added at least 8-10 mph to my actual speed. Next time I drive through there I will have my Go-Pro aimed at the dash. If I ever get pulled over again I will record the whole thing and see him in court.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #52
Super_Scion_86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It probably doesn't help our case when people like me pass highway patrol cars while going 85 in a 65...

Though he seemed very interested in the car after he gave me the ticket.
Super_Scion_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #53
Tectoniic
#FiftyShadesOfBlue

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 1,425 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I try to not have preconceived notions about police as I have yet to have a run in with one but.... I definitely feel like this car and sports cars in general are cop magnets and often get profiled.

When I would drive my parents cars(suvs) at 2 or 3 in the morning back from somewhere I would pass plenty of cops and not a single one did anything. Almost every time now that i drive home early in the morning I get cops following me. I have had 3 pull U turns in the middle of a road and just follow me with no lights on or anything. One of them followed me for 10 miles through 3 different towns riding my bumper hard until I pulled into a gas station and he just stared at me and drove off when I got out to use the pump.

I don't really care that cops all speed as well but I get incredibly frustrated when they almost try to bait you into doing something stupid.

Tectoniic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tectoniic For This Useful Post:
Rampage (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #54
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
...If there's a war on cops, the cops are definitely winning it and have been for a long, long time....
There is a war. It began as the war on drugs, but you can't fight a war against inanimate objects, so you wage war against those that use them. That happens to be the American people. Whether or not someone agrees with the drug war, thorough mission creep, those battle tactics have spread to be used in any conceivable situation. It has gotten to the point where large portions of the everyday operation budget of local police rely on money/property confiscated from people who *80% of the time are not charge with any crime, otherwise known as policing for profit. And when the people have had enough and *76% pressure their representatives to protect them, the police unions threaten the politicians with a cut to federal funding if they pass any legislation to curb their authority.
Citizens don't fight wars, Soldiers do. Police are citizens employed in the full time job of upholding the peace. You know they have crossed over into soldier, when they start to refer to other citizens as "civilians". The war is real, and they started it; however real soldiers don't whine and complain when the "enemy" shoots back.

* https://reason.com/archives/2015/09/18/forget-justice-cops-just-want-money

I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I don't know really where this topic can go besides other stories of tickets, or anger/agreement with police.(puts on flame suit)
extrashaky (09-18-2015), why? (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #55
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I sometimes have to go down to McAllen on the Mexican border for work, where the hillbilly Texas government has decided to send hundreds of troopers for the express purpose of harassing brown people. I rent a car when I go. I have a real fear that if I drove the BRZ, one of them would pull me over and accuse me of being an illegal Mexican drug dealer and impound my car.

Brown pride amigo!~

I've also had bad experiences driving through TX on various cars by both state patrols and speed trap cameras.

65mph zone to 35 in .02 seconds, and no speed limit 55mph zones turning into 25mph.

Courtesy of GTA V, "Obey and Survive."

:b urnrubber:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectoniic View Post
I try to not have preconceived notions about police as I have yet to have a run in with one but.... I definitely feel like this car and sports cars in general are cop magnets and often get profiled.

When I would drive my parents cars(suvs) at 2 or 3 in the morning back from somewhere I would pass plenty of cops and not a single one did anything. Almost every time now that i drive home early in the morning I get cops following me. I have had 3 pull U turns in the middle of a road and just follow me with no lights on or anything. One of them followed me for 10 miles through 3 different towns riding my bumper hard until I pulled into a gas station and he just stared at me and drove off when I got out to use the pump.

I don't really care that cops all speed as well but I get incredibly frustrated when they almost try to bait you into doing something stupid.

Bump your music, cruise control @ 55mph and let the good times roll. Ignore cop, and make smart choices, just cruise.
soulreapersteve (09-19-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #56
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
It doesn't just happen to brown people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Brown pride amigo!~
To be clear, I'm not brown. I'm very white, of Irish and Austrian ancestry. I'm afraid to take my BRZ down there because it's bright red with tinted windows, and I'm afraid the overly excited cops will mistake my car for a drug dealer's car and come after me.

The reason I brought up brown people is that what I witnessed first hand down in McAllen and Rio Grande City was appalling. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the state of Texas decided that the Border Patrol wasn't doing enough to keep illegals out, so the governor has sent literally hundreds, if not thousands, of state troopers down to the border for immigration enforcement. State troopers are not immigration cops and have no idea what they're doing, so they just set up all along the highways pulling people over, harassing them and writing tickets.

Obviously, since they think they're there for immigration, you're a lot more likely to get pulled over if you look Mexican. When I first went down there I noticed that everyone was driving 5 miles under the speed limit. Then I realized it wasn't everyone, it was just Hispanics, who are terrified of the police state they're under. I was working with an elderly woman who was born on the American side of the border and grew up in Rio Grande City who said she has been pulled over and harassed, with the cops demanding to see her papers, as if she just crossed the river and started up a business and bought a home to live in.

They're spending millions of dollars of taxpayer money on this bullshit. Troopers are staying in every hotel along the highway and racking up food and fuel expenses while they have a big harassment party. The parking lot of the hotel where I stay is almost completely filled with cruisers.

The rest of the state doesn't see it, and they support all this nonsense, because illegal aliens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectoniic View Post
I try to not have preconceived notions about police as I have yet to have a run in with one but....
I used to work in television news and had to get along with cops in my job, so I tried for years to give them the benefit of the doubt. Yet I saw over and over and over how they abused their positions of trust. It's not that they're necessarily bad people. It's that they're in a system that rewards lying and corruption and warps their way of thinking so that they believe it's normal to see every citizen as a perp.