follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #57
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brilliant chassis and great styling at an affordable price point earned one year as a 10 Best. Serious lack of refinement along with mediocre results in performance comparisons made it a one year wonder. The car is very heavily biased towards performance attributes at the expense of others. Fine by me....that's why I bought mine but C&D evaluates the whole package from the perspective of Joe Public.

The true brilliance of this platform is how well it adapts to aftermarket improvements. Add more power, stiffer suspension, stickier tires and the whole just keeps getting better. Every track day I constantly have people stop by to see my car and say the same thing..

" I thought these things were slow ????????"
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned

Last edited by Deep Six; 12-09-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #58
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
Reasons for sale/trade:

its too slow

its too small for me

i have winter

i'm not comfortable with this much attention from other men

lol i can't afford it,

Subaru needs to fix the chassis so it handles properly.

I can't put up with the squirming under power.

I'm already getting bored with the juvenile handling of my BRZ.

take your pick
Add this to the list.
I bought the car because everyone told me it was cool.
I also want to be cool like everyone else.
Aw man the car everyone else likes I don't like I'm going to sell it and buy an m3.

Sub note
To all those complaining about power need to drive a 2.0 vw jetta (not diesel) then come tell me about horsepower. I feel like im driving a damn rocketship compared to that pile o crap.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubaSteve For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #59
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
The 240SX came out 25 years ago! How did you miss it?
Had one. It wasn't missed. I just didn't like it very much. Sorry, no offense intended.

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #60
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Subaru needs to fix the chassis so it handles properly. Otherwise, it will soon sell out to those of us willing to put up with the squirming under power. The market for fans of early 911 style handling gets saturated pretty quickly. I'm already getting bored with the juvenile handling of my BRZ.
I laughed.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #61
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
What I find strange is that there is a lot of used FR-S. The hype had me believing folks was gonna be in for the long haul. It had the most hype ever I think in the car industry.
For me, it's because of the hype that I was guessing a lot of people would turn around and sell them. The thing was being compared to Porsches and every review said "wow it's so fast around turns!" "It's so much fun to drive!". Then people buy them and realize that it accelerates on the highway like a dying turtle and they get embarrassed in front of their friends with Mustangs and Camaros.

I wouldn't really pay much attention to the article OP posted. It looks like they're just calling out every nice car of 2013 and saying that it isn't good. Come on, how could you say the Miata and Mustang GT weren't always good cars? And everyone absolutely loved the Focus ST. It seemed like the best fwd car released in a long time.

They're just splashing around in the water here.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
amram (12-09-2013), Superhatch (12-09-2013), ZionsWrath (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #62
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
You realize most of the staff of C&D are former automotive engineers from inside the industry? I'm not sure where you get your info but they don't use any "manufacturers data" for road tested cars. They log all the data themselves.

I see nothing wrong with what they said. Blinded by the handling they couldn't see how average everything else is. Pretty damn accurate if you ask me.
That is the whole point of the car. The R&D was spent on handling, cost were cut elsewhere to keep it at a certain price point. Knocking it for that after you praised it for the very same qualities is fucking retarded.
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZionsWrath For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #63
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yeah it's no fun that they feel the need to pick on the car but I think they offered the snippet to explain WHERE the FR-S/BRZ is when it's so popular; see the last sentence of the intro. It's very backhanded though, Eddie Alterman must have been having a shit day.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #64
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It boils down to one thing, there are no other comparables to this car aside from the ancient MX5.

So its easy to get excited about the concept of this car. Reality is it falls short on so many levels. You just need the perspective of spending time in other drivers cars to see it more clearly. When I was doing my bitch fest review, I had just come from multiple S2000 ownerships, Exige, etc etc. Almost 2 years later been working on fixing up a 98 Prelude for my mom, and after driving it for a month the FRS is even more disappointing. When I find things in a 15 year old car that are better. (excluding wrong wheel drive)

Twins, great idea poor execution. Half baked sports car.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #65
Carban
Grease Monkey

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
reviews can be taken in for the knowledge and keeping an open mind. Regardless, the most important opinion is your own. I love my car

frs is best. so handling. very wow
Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #66
Adam Anthony

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Base Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
It boils down to one thing, there are no other comparables to this car aside from the ancient MX5.

So its easy to get excited about the concept of this car. Reality is it falls short on so many levels. You just need the perspective of spending time in other drivers cars to see it more clearly. When I was doing my bitch fest review, I had just come from multiple S2000 ownerships, Exige, etc etc. Almost 2 years later been working on fixing up a 98 Prelude for my mom, and after driving it for a month the FRS is even more disappointing. When I find things in a 15 year old car that are better. (excluding wrong wheel drive)

Twins, great idea poor execution. Half baked sports car.
Is there a car you would have rather have bought for the same money? I am curious. I have watched your review videos, etc. and am interested in these sorts of things. Having bought the base FR-S, I am not sure what I would have got instead except for something used. Having much more experience than I in these sorts of things, I am curious what you think overall as to a better alternative.
Adam Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #67
Ashybone

Drives: 97 Camry & 91 3000GT VR4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dudes are stupid, end of story. The only thing that bothers me SOMETIMES is the... What's the stock touchscreen called, BeSpoke? When I pick a song and it plays a random song instead of the one I wanted to play. Other then that, the crickets=fix=drive faster or turn up the radio, or wind down the windows. Love everything else about the car.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #68
FirestormFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I find it interesting that none of you quoted the last line of the blurb "keep one in the garage for canyon carving or track days" or something along those lines. They never said anything was bad, just that everything was average.
FirestormFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirestormFRS For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (12-10-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #69
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Anthony View Post
Is there a car you would have rather have bought for the same money? I am curious. I have watched your review videos, etc. and am interested in these sorts of things. Having bought the base FR-S, I am not sure what I would have got instead except for something used. Having much more experience than I in these sorts of things, I am curious what you think overall as to a better alternative.
There is primary one reason I own it, and it mirrors what you said.
Nothing else new and cheap on the market right now. It's like we are in transition period. Drove the Genesis 2.0R the 3.8L, the Mustang V6, 370z, MX5, Elise, G37s. All had their strong points.

Really for a cheap drivers car there isn't any other choice. Thats the problem though, it's kind of like settling because there is other option.
Clearly the FA20 is now turbocharged and DI by Subaru so all of the main problems should go away somewhere in the next year or two.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #70
Adam Anthony

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Base Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
There is primary one reason I own it, and it mirrors what you said.
Nothing else new and cheap on the market right now. It's like we are in transition period. Drove the Genesis 2.0R the 3.8L, the Mustang V6, 370z, MX5, Elise, G37s. All had their strong points.

Really for a cheap drivers car there isn't any other choice. Thats the problem though, it's kind of like settling because there is other option.
Clearly the FA20 is now turbocharged and DI by Subaru so all of the main problems should go away somewhere in the next year or two.
Thank you for your response. It is appreciated. I had driven a lot of other cars as well prior to getting the FR-S and though it lacked in certain areas, I just had too much fun with it. I am excited for what the future versions hold.
Adam Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote