follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #4621
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
smh lol

Go ahead and start protesting every ND in CS that is lower than OE and running -2.5* of camber and is completely legal.

I'll wait here and enjoy my popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #4622
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Go ahead and start protesting every ND in CS that is lower than OE and running -2.5* of camber and is completely legal.

I'll wait here and enjoy my popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
please go educate yourself on MacPherson struts.

NDs are double wishbone....yeah not sure what the NDs have to do with the front MacPherson struts and camber gain, but I'm sure you do
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 PM   #4623
oinojo
Suspension Nerd

Drives: 2019 Mazda MX-5
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Struts will hardly gain any camber if any from lowering. Typically .1 or so but not half a degree.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #4624
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
please go educate yourself on MacPherson struts.
Not all MacPherson struts are exactly the same. Ours do gain a tiny bit of camber under compression (up to a point, beyond which it will stop gaining and actually start losing IIRC).

Anyways, if you want to protest someone, you'll have to show they didn't install the washer correctly or you're gonna need a great pair of calipers. Given that Koni have admitted to their issue and provided a fix, you've got a pretty high bar to clear to show noncompliance.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #4625
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
Not all MacPherson struts are exactly the same. Ours do gain a tiny bit of camber under compression (up to a point, beyond which it will stop gaining and actually start losing IIRC).

Anyways, if you want to protest someone, you'll have to show they didn't install the washer correctly or you're gonna need a great pair of calipers. Given that Koni have admitted to their issue and provided a fix, you've got a pretty high bar to clear to show noncompliance.
Not really too high of a bar to examine the Koni strut. These cars front suspension is not that complicated. You got the 4 holes on the strut and the holes on the chassis to examine.

Shock degassing alone will not net you -0.4 to -0.6 alone.
To get that amount of extra camber something has to be off.

Not surprised that folks with Koni strut replacements are up in arms.
Many owners claimed ignorance about the illegality of those struts when the source of the extra camber gained was plain as day!

Here we are again, people with the Koni washers are claiming extra camber.
Here we are again, Koni people are up in arms claiming that there must be some sort of "Koni engineering" miracle that nets more legal camber....All while not one Koni strut owner has posted measurements of the corrective washer.

My guess would be the either the washer is too small and thus provides wiggle room (thus misaligning the center of the mount hole and resulting extra camber).

Think about folks. The OEM crash bolt is only 2mm smaller in diameter than original. Simplistically speaking, that means it provides 1mm of extra outboard or inboard adjustment, which typically nets about 0.5 degree of camber adjustment. To get enough extra camber to achieve -1.8 or more I would imagine that you would need about extra 0.5mm or more of wiggle room.

While witch hunting after for 0.1-0.2mm of variance might be unreasonable, looking for half a mil or more is much easier. Even harbor freight calipers can handle that
Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #4626
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Not really too high of a bar to examine the Koni strut. These cars front suspension is not that complicated. You got the 4 holes on the strut and the holes on the chassis to examine.

Many owners claimed ignorance about the illegality of those struts when the source of the extra camber gained was plain as day!

Here we are again, Koni people are up in arms claiming that there must be some sort of "Koni engineering" miracle that nets more legal camber....All while not one Koni strut owner has posted measurements of the corrective washer.

My guess would be the either the washer is too small and thus provides wiggle room (thus misaligning the center of the mount hole and resulting extra camber).

Think about folks. The OEM crash bolt is only 2mm smaller in diameter than original. Simplistically speaking, that means it provides 1mm of extra outboard or inboard adjustment, which typically nets about 0.5 degree of camber adjustment. To get enough extra camber to achieve -1.8 or more I would imagine that you would need about extra 0.5mm or more of wiggle room.

While witch hunting after for 0.1-0.2mm of variance might be unreasonable, looking for half a mil or more is much easier. Even harbor freight calipers can handle that
I'd be more willing to take the measurements myself if it didn't mean having to spend another $120 on a new alignment. Particularly since I'm only running regional events, and not even at the pointy end locally. haha
Old 06-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #4627
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
I'd be more willing to take the measurements myself if it didn't mean having to spend another $120 on a new alignment. Particularly since I'm only running regional events, and not even at the pointy end locally. haha
The only thing you'll need to readjust is camber, which is just pushing the strut inwards as much as possible before torquing down that top bolt. Just get that useless WWRB driver we both know to help you. And I just saved you $120. You're welcome
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G_Ride For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #4628
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
The only thing you'll need to readjust is camber, which is just pushing the strut inwards as much as possible before torquing down that top bolt. Just get that useless WWRB driver we both know to help you. And I just saved you $120. You're welcome
The way I work on cars I'd screw it up somehow. I r bAD MehCanIK
G_Ride (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #4629
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:

Okay so maybe someone else can describe why this is then but here's my personal experience with two different twins and the exact same Konis on both. I had an FR-S RS1.0 previously and with the Koni Yellows with centering washers it sat at -1.1 degrees on both fronts on TRD springs. Moving to a regular FR-S with OEM springs and using the exact same Konis I'm at -1.7 on both fronts. These are both measured with me in the driver seat. The only things that changed were the springs, different set of OEM crash bolts, and the car.

So my understanding of that would then be that there's possibly a variance in crash bolts, a variance in the bolt holes on the cars, and some measurable change from what springs are in use. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #4630
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Okay so maybe someone else can describe why this is then but here's my personal experience with two different twins and the exact same Konis on both. I had an FR-S RS1.0 previously and with the Koni Yellows with centering washers it sat at -1.1 degrees on both fronts on TRD springs. Moving to a regular FR-S with OEM springs and using the exact same Konis I'm at -1.7 on both fronts. These are both measured with me in the driver seat. The only things that changed were the springs, different set of OEM crash bolts, and the car.

So my understanding of that would then be that there's possibly a variance in crash bolts, a variance in the bolt holes on the cars, and some measurable change from what springs are in use. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Differences in installs can have some effect. I found a -0.3 change depending on if I push in the top hat inboard or not. I found a -0.1 change depending on which direction the bolts were facing (threaded side is a bit narrower).

There is also a possibility that the stepped washer that Koni supplies wears or loosens, or if paint around the strut hole broke/wore off to give more play.

You could also have a difference in alignment racks. If digital laser type, they do need to be calibrated. You're talking a tenth or two of variance though...not half a degree or more.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #4631
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The ND is a different suspension that nets a ridiculous amount of camber and ride height from the Konis. It's what it is.

If I remember right, we had a wheels off impound at Nationals in 2015, I believe it was because of the camber question on our cars and the reason Koni corrected their full body shocks before the 2016 season (my timing might be off). There was no protest that year, but I think it contributed to how well Koni drivers did in 2015 vs. after 2015 when the Koni correction came out. How much did it contribute? It was somewhere in the range of not at all to barely within noise. I remember before the spacer, cars easily had -2.0-2.3 up front. I can believe -1.7, but if it's still at -2.0 with Koni's spacer, I'd be suspicious. Either way, I won't be leading any protests unless it's to get the ND moved to B-Street.

If someone wants to protest camber on a street FR-S/BRZ, I think they're going to have a pretty tough time winning the protest unless it's something extremely blatant.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #4632
MarkR171

Drives: '05 Elise
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Hands off my ND going to B-Street. Go play in D-Street! haha

ex '15 Scion FR-S
MarkR171 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkR171 For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:22 PM   #4633
brz7400

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Hands off my ND going to B-Street. Go play in D-Street! haha
Sorry off topic, but how is that Alfa 4C for autocross?
brz7400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #4634
MarkR171

Drives: '05 Elise
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz7400 View Post
Sorry off topic, but how is that Alfa 4C for autocross?
So much fun. No power steering, so plenty of feedback but requires plenty of effort in tight corners and counter steering. The car in it's current form loves to rotate when lifting or braking but will immediately hook up when you get back on the gas. I'm still learning to trust it, because at first, it felt like the car wanted to murder you with the back end immediately coming around when you lift and steer at the same time... getting back on the gas early and trusting it is incredibly rewarding.

I have this wild (probably stupid) dream of putting Hoosiers on the car and trying out SSP after nationals.

Video from last Saturday
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU5I-ZJhY0P/

ex '15 Scion FR-S

Last edited by MarkR171; 06-08-2017 at 06:33 PM.
MarkR171 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkR171 For This Useful Post:
brz7400 (06-09-2017)