follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Mac1235

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
he really meant... ohh forget it...

lol
Mac1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #16
Jlin

Drives: FRS
I'm having my warped seals replaced with my condensing taillight next week covered by warranty
Jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
My drivers side window seal is cracked already :/. Gonna take it in next week
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
raptor87

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Ltd
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mine is warped, the drivers side window squeaks against the rubber when you close the door.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The one on the front of the hood looks "warped" on all of the ones I've seen, brand new. Go look at some new ones next time you're at the dealership.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
The one on the front of the hood looks "warped" on all of the ones I've seen, brand new. Go look at some new ones next time you're at the dealership.
Yup I noticed that too. And I just looked at pics from when I picked the car up new from the dealer, and I can see it then.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #21
Steve201brz

Drives: BRZ
My driver's side window seal has been gradually pulled out of it's seat. Most likely from not enough lubrication/rubber conditioner being applied. Regardless, it was out so far it was actually creating extra resistance on the window when it rolled up all the way (basically obstructing the path). No amount of lube/conditioner would have helped me it at that point

Not sure if it's related but the window started to malfunction. Could roll the window down but not up. Only the "auto close" function would close the window, but you'd have to hold it. Nothing worked while the door was open. Couldn't control the passenger side at all.

I had the stealership "re-seat" the window seal and fix the window control issues. I assume the service guy didn't leave the window cracked to let the seal dry properly so needless to say it's much better but still not seated properly. Still rubs and I can see this problem happening again in the future

TL;DR: Take care of the window seals. I can understand how failure to lubricate can cause it to be pulled out of it's seat, then causing extra resistance for the window when it rolls up all the way. Wish I had more info of what was done to fix it, the guy at the dealership wasn't able to answer any of the questions I asked.
Luckily it was repaired under warranty, just relaying my experience because something stupid like this can burn a hole in your pocket if you aren't covered.
Steve201brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
FyeaFRS

Drives: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type-M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So these are a few of the pics I snapped when I first noticed this happening. About two months ago I had my windows tinted and it still kept happening so I decided to take it my dealer to have the seal replaced.

The rep told me that because I had my windows tinted that they would not cover it and that I'd have to have the tint removed and come back to show them.

I showed him these pictures and he more or less said tough sh!t. "Well they're tinted now so it doesn't matter.."

So heads up to anyone with tinted windows that they'll probably try to blame it on the tint and deny the claim.
Attached Images

FyeaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
raptor87

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyeaFRS View Post
So these are a few of the pics I snapped when I first noticed this happening. About two months ago I had my windows tinted and it still kept happening so I decided to take it my dealer to have the seal replaced.

The rep told me that because I had my windows tinted that they would not cover it and that I'd have to have the tint removed and come back to show them.

I showed him these pictures and he more or less said tough sh!t. "Well they're tinted now so it doesn't matter.."

So heads up to anyone with tinted windows that they'll probably try to blame it on the tint and deny the claim.
They didnt deny mine
Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #24
FyeaFRS

Looks like I'm going to a different dealer then -_-
Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #25
pooch

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (M/T)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyeaFRS View Post

Was this covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? Dammit I'm at 40k miles, ugh! Has anyone found some DIY fixes for this? My OCD causes me to hate this, it drives me insane each time I close my window. I noticed I just have to keep the strip clean and the window edge clean as well but it's really irritating.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #26
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1235 View Post
Just to let everyone know they still don't have an updated part for the weather strip issues on the windows. It seems to be cold/wet weather related. I am working on using some minor adhesive to hold the part of the weather seal that is seated in the door in a more secure manner to prevent it from being pulled out. I am also going to use some rubber conditioners to try and keep the rubber pliable. I recently took mine to the dealership and got it replaced and they confirmed it was the exact same part and 15 minutes later I experienced the same issue again.

Just wanted to update everyone. Guess we wait for them to collect more cold weather data and get us some better all weather parts!
Mine is coming off where door locks to chassis. The door stabilizer part.

Also, I get water inside after light rains. I'll park it outside, and when I wake up the next day, I find drops and trickles of rain. It's like my car is sweating by itself during the night.

@pooch
To repair, just take to dealer. If you are unsure, email Toyota, then once they create a file/account for this issue, they'll tell you to take to dealer. At this point, just tell them which dealership you'll be taking it to and have them send the report info over. Less likely to be denied that way imo.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #27
FyeaFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Was this covered under the bumper to bumper warranty? Dammit I'm at 40k miles, ugh! Has anyone found some DIY fixes for this? My OCD causes me to hate this, it drives me insane each time I close my window. I noticed I just have to keep the strip clean and the window edge clean as well but it's really irritating.
I took it to another dealer who fixed both that and a chirping fuel pump under warranty.

I had also since then been treating the strips with gummi pflege and it hasn't really returned.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #28
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
K-Y?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1235 View Post
A rubber conditioner works with the natural rubber structure to help keep it pliable in colder temperatures and typically more resistant to UV rays. Keeping the rubber soft and pliable as it was intended in cold temperature can eliminate a lot of the issues. There are tons of products out there in the automotive marketplace regarding "rubber conditioning".

Given this, AstroGlide (the water based formula, not the silicone based stuff) would seem better. After all, it was developed by NASA for its rocket motor gaskets...
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote