follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #421
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Well it looks like I won't have those covers or clips extra for anyone after all. Just finished taking apart the new spoiler and overall I have a 50% success rate with removing those covers intact. Luckily I ended up with 1 left and 1 right cover in good condition, but the others aren't in great shape (same for the clips).

Also I just wanna say again that this tool is absolutely perfect for popping the riser cores out of their covers. So easy to pry them out using this.
I just pushed the core to the side and it pops out easy...but man that stupid green front clip is a ..... to get to pop back into place.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #422
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
I just pushed the core to the side and it pops out easy...but man that stupid green front clip is a ..... to get to pop back into place.
Yeah that's all I'm doing with the tool, just makes it easier to push the core to the side. Did you take the green clips out of the cores and put them into the trunk first? Seems to be easier that way.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #423
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Which side do you need that plastic cover for, and do you need the metal clip to go with it? I may or may not have an extra one, depends how it goes taking apart the new spoiler which I haven't gotten around to yet. Those covers and the metal clips holding them on can be tough to get off without damaging them - I already have one other person in line to get one of the clips if I end up with the extra parts intact. Bent one of my clips pretty bad taking off the original spoiler the first time around so no guarantees.

Edit:
Nevermind Akuma, no extra covers here. The extras are broken.
Thanks for letting me know
I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with taking that piece off. For the record, I did use the same pry tool. The right side is the one that was giving me issues. I must have pushed in and downward too hard, breaking the little plastic clip. After I popped it out with greater force than the left side, the metal clip came out with it still attached. I'm pretty sure the metal clip is the culprit which causes you to put more force than needed.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #424
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah that's all I'm doing with the tool, just makes it easier to push the core to the side. Did you take the green clips out of the cores and put them into the trunk first? Seems to be easier that way.
I tried both ways and neither worked. Seems the core is just about 1-2mm too far inside the cover to let it reach the clip in point. :/ just snugged the 4 trunk bolts and the 3m tape held everything in place so I didnt worrry about it.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #425
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
Thanks for letting me know
I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with taking that piece off. For the record, I did use the same pry tool. The right side is the one that was giving me issues. I must have pushed in and downward too hard, breaking the little plastic clip. After I popped it out with greater force than the left side, the metal clip came out with it still attached. I'm pretty sure the metal clip is the culprit which causes you to put more force than needed.
I think what happens is the piece gets off-center a bit and the metal clip catches unevenly, more on one side of the bracket it connects to than the other, and doesn't release properly. This causes it to bend which only gets it stuck further and get more messed up when you pull it out, possibly breaking parts of the plastic tab it attaches to. Seems like it's supposed to come out with the metal clip still attached to the cover, the clip only comes off the cover when one or both pieces is damaged.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #426
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
I think what happens is the piece gets off-center a bit and the metal clip catches unevenly, more on one side of the bracket it connects to than the other, and doesn't release properly. This causes it to bend which only gets it stuck further and get more messed up when you pull it out, possibly breaking parts of the plastic tab it attaches to. Seems like it's supposed to come out with the metal clip still attached to the cover, the clip only comes off the cover when one or both pieces is damaged.
Definitely agree with this.

When it's in proper shape even and you place it under the black bracket it also still has some space, making it move more than I'd personally prefer. It doesn't "lock in" until you've put the cap on, which is when the metal clip bites it with the teeth-looking edges to hold it in place.

Sort of on-topic:

I'm still researching how to get extras of the metal clip.. It's proving to be kind of difficult because at least a couple companies I've contacted or looked at require the customer to be an OEM, and others require buying a huge pack of at least 100, lol.

This is before I've even confirmed the ones I'm looking at are the proper size that matches what we need to use.

Not sure how much more I'll look into it because it's just not as easy as I'd like lol.

@Tcoat any ideas on how to get small clips like the ones we're having issues with without having to do a huge bulk order?
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #427
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Definitely agree with this.

When it's in proper shape even and you place it under the black bracket it also still has some space, making it move more than I'd personally prefer. It doesn't "lock in" until you've put the cap on, which is when the metal clip bites it with the teeth-looking edges to hold it in place.

Sort of on-topic:

I'm still researching how to get extras of the metal clip.. It's proving to be kind of difficult because at least a couple companies I've contacted or looked at require the customer to be an OEM, and others require buying a huge pack of at least 100, lol.

This is before I've even confirmed the ones I'm looking at are the proper size that matches what we need to use.

Not sure how much more I'll look into it because it's just not as easy as I'd like lol.

@Tcoat any ideas on how to get small clips like the ones we're having issues with without having to do a huge bulk order?
Get me dimensions and some pics and I will see what I can do. Not joking. Probably a breeze for me to get them. Hell we may even use them already in two of the plants. How many skids would you like?
spike021 (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #428
spike021

Quote:
Get me dimensions and some pics and I will see what I can do. Not joking. Probably a breeze for me to get them. Hell we may even use them already in two of the plants. How many skids would you like?
That would be awesome. I think @tehShirt was going to try getting the dimensions for me.

I'd say maybe something like.. 36 or.. 52? I don't think we need a ton but enough extra pairs for maybe 20 sets, give or take, could be useful.

So far I've seen this, which is similar, but we need to verify dimensions first for sure: https://www.huyett.com/Products/Fast...B?searchText=#

Edit: when I get home I can take some proper photos of the one working one I have for now unless someone beats me to it
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Old 03-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #429
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
That would be awesome. I think @tehShirt was going to try getting the dimensions for me.

I'd say maybe something like.. 36 or.. 52? I don't think we need a ton but enough extra pairs for maybe 20 sets, give or take, could be useful.

So far I've seen this, which is similar, but we need to verify dimensions first for sure: https://www.huyett.com/Products/Fast...B?searchText=#

Edit: when I get home I can take some proper photos of the one working one I have for now unless someone beats me to it
This seems like the kinda thing Drambeenie should have and just include a couple with each kit... Just an idea.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:22 PM   #430
spike021

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
This seems like the kinda thing Drambeenie should have and just include a couple with each kit... Just an idea.
It's definitely up to him. I've just been figuring that it's not specifically a part of the kit so I don't think he's necessarily responsible for replacing any that get screwed up during the install.
Quote:
Old 03-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #431
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
It's definitely up to him. I've just been figuring that it's not specifically a part of the kit so I don't think he's necessarily responsible for replacing any that get screwed up during the install.
Oh, I agree with that, he's not responsible, but he could offer them for an extra $1 or $2 or w/e? idk... just throwing out ideas.
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #432
spike021

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan View Post
Oh, I agree with that, he's not responsible, but he could offer them for an extra $1 or $2 or w/e? idk... just throwing out ideas.
Yeah that could work too.
Quote:
Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #433
Drambeenie

Drives: Black 17 BRZ LT MT PP
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sorry, been a bit busy. Which exact part needs replacing? The black plastic bolt cover or the thin metal piece that sits inside the black cover? Or is it the black metal bracket that sits under the two bolts?
Drambeenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:37 PM   #434
spike021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drambeenie View Post
Sorry, been a bit busy. Which exact part needs replacing? The black plastic bolt cover or the thin metal piece that sits inside the black cover? Or is it the black metal bracket that sits under the two bolts?
It’s the thin metal clip piece that sits inside the black bolt cover and locks the cap into place
Quote:

Tags
removal, spoiler, trunk, wing