follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilover options for DD

I've have a 2014 FR-S, all stock with sticky tires as the primacy's are gone. Looking into coil overs and maybe new suspension arms for easier adjust-ability. I don't even know where to begin as I see I can spend $500 to nearly $4k depending on what I want.

First off, I'm a DD and don't intend on tracking. Car currently has 50k miles. I'd like to do some auto crossing someday, but just haven't. So, I don't need something for a dedicated track rig, but I would like to get a bit more grip out of this system. I find when I corner hard I can lift/lighten the inside rear tire and if I push it, it'll throw the VSC into action. I'm not disappointed with the stock setup, I just know it can be further improved pretty simply with new coils and just looking for a good place to start.

Any recommendations in the $1k-$2k price points? I live in the PNW, so decent weather resistance is preferred.

I do prefer a rebuild-able or replaceable damper as I plan to have the car long term. I'm so new to this not sure if that matters. The write up for the Meister ZetaCRD answered that I could replace dampers when needed, and not the whole coil setup. I like this concept, but does it really matter?

Recommendations and links appreciated. I've been digging, but felt it was time to start asking questions as I don't see any overwhelming 'goto' brands. And lastly, what am I overlooking? I see new links to sway bars may be required and don't come with most coil setups.

Last edited by jeepmor; 11-19-2017 at 05:57 PM.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
The Sachs Performance Coilovers are a good option:

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/...u-brz2-0-147kw

I've not written a detailed review, but they are fine for a DD car. The damping quality is better than stock and you don't have the silly lose of traction on uneven pavement or other conditions. You want to have a control when the car will go sideways and when you don't want to do it! The spring rates are not that high, but they are sufficient for auto crossing events or an occasional track day. A driver in Japan uses this setup in the national Gymkhana championship. So, they can be quite competitive. There was another member here using them, but he messed up a bit with the spring perches and camber plates. Result was to have a limitation on height adjustment and the height was close to stock. I suggest to use them with the factory parts and don't try to match with other manufacturer parts.

Let me know if you want more information or have other questions.

Last edited by nikitopo; 11-19-2017 at 03:51 PM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (11-30-2017), Teseo (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
NyX_Nick

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Stock, 1991 Toyota MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For a DD, you can't go wrong with Bilstein B14's or B16's. They're kinda soft for all out performance, but great for a DD. I know a few people who run them up here in Ontario through the winter and have had no problems.

I'd also recommend KW V1's, or for something a little more sporty, RCE Tarmac Zero's. The V1's use KW's INOX Stainless Steel bodies, and RCE's coilovers are made by KW and use the same thing, so you know they won't rust out or be destroyed in the winter.
NyX_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NyX_Nick For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
jeepmor

Thanks for the inputs. I do want adjustable damping as I see some have it, and some don't. I have a colleague at work with an FRS setup with coils. He said for autocross he really turns them up for performance, but he says it's too much for daily so he backs them back into middle range.

Should I be looking at a two way adjustable or one? Make much difference?
Old 11-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Actually given how you described in OP, imho unadjustable will fit you more. Adjustability means also possibility to dial wrong. And it needs some time/efforts spend on testing out settings, comparing laptimes for example (and preferably with consistent driving at that). If you'll never take it to the track, and thinking just maybe sometimes in future take it tor not take it to autox i guess you'll just dial in "soft-enough" setting for comfortable DD and leave it at that. So do you really need adjustability? Multi-way at that? And even occasional auto-x .. you'll get MUCH better times improvement by more seat time and good instructions then because of different damping.
To me by what you described in OP, looks like camberbolt set for front + B6 struts + alignment for a bit more front camber should cover most of your points/wishes/be within budget. +Add better tires for further improvement.
Will you really need something above that? It might be that vague plans of autox will stay at just planning stage. And as i wrote, more experience/instructions will allow drive much faster then different coilovers, if you'll drive autox or if you'll go to track.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (11-20-2017), RJasonKlein (11-19-2017), strat61caster (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
jeepmor

Thanks for the subjective feedback churchx. I'm a mechanical engineer by education, so I do like the extra options to tune to my liking. Albeit, I agree, once I find a good DD setting, it'll spend most of its time there. My colleague at work stated he likes the damping adjust-ability, and stiffer settings improve times when auto crossing, so I'm sold on it. He said he can stiffen them so much it'll "rattle your teeth, but the times are better." And being I took vibrations in college, I like the premise of tuning compression and rebound independently. Even as you mention, it will take a while to dial in. And I agree training and track/autox time are no substitute for just twisting the damper dials.

Also, upon reading more threads and surfing coilover retailers, I now know I will be buying a setup with camber plates and an adjustable damping style setup. It may be single adjustable damping instead of compression/rebound independence. I'm willing to take on more costs for those features and they aren't pushing me out of my budget. I don't mind a little overkill to have what I want.

My colleague is happy with his adjust-ability, so I'm going to follow that path as he's done a bunch of track and autocross, and still has daily setups he is happy with. I like having the options and would much rather have a one time purchase of overkill than have to revisit later should I start autocrossing and tracking and have to upgrade again. I don't want to go full money pallet, but I don't want to cheap out and ignore my goals either. Even though, I gather there are plenty of decent plug and play options.

Damping adjustment and camber plates are requirements now that I've spent a few hours digging. May need adjustable control arms ultimately, but I'll start with camber bolts then add accordingly. My colleague has coilovers and control arms so he can adjust as he wants. He's pretty happy, so I'm trying to follow in his footsteps a little bit. Just don't have enough time to pick his brain as I like.

My long term goal is to turbo the car, but I want to make handling more capable first. Colleague added a turbo to his recently after many suspension mods. He's glad he has them, but still struggles to keep 275ish whp hooked up when pushing hard.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
jeepmor

What brands are the most reputable versus not? I see brands I've heard of since a wee lad like Bilstein and Eibach. But others brands, I just haven't seen these brands in my previous 4wd experience. A big factor of buying my FRS was all these options to choose from.

I do see KW dampers employed in multiple FRS/BRZ coil manufacturers, that's a good sign. I like the idea of stainless body, but it pushes the budget. I see it's jumped to about a $1300 minimum to get what I'm after. Camber plates and damping adjustment.

What other incidentals should I expect to encounter? Seasoned wrench here, but been jeep guy for past 20+ years this is my first sports car.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
ok, got to ask. what tires are you using?
If you got almost 50K out of the oems you are not driving hard and fast.
Have you been using sport or track off? Letting the car drift out of corners?
Have you tried pedal dance or similar?
Have you gone to a driving school, this car is really amazing stock.
Have you tried a skid pad to try different traction settings?
You live where it is not a long drive to find a snow covered parking lot to play with settings.

In short, until you do autocross or track this car it is unlikely that you have exceeded the capabilities of the car as it sits stock. (the exception is barstool racing or bling effect)
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #9
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I upgrade the suspension I will be looking along the same lines.

- 100% DD
- No trackwork
- Hoping for stock comfort with 1"-1.5" lower
- Improved road handling

I'd be looking at the old school traditional suspension companies Koni/Ohlins/Bilstein.
I suspect Tein Flex Z would be the closest option to what I'm looking for from the JDM style brands (ie bolt in, adjust, forget)
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
jeepmor: Remember, often some suspension changes improve times not because they really work better or enhance grip/handling, but simply because with them subjective confidence may grow and that letting one push a bit more, even if car was capable to go faster even with "non teeth rattling" setup. There is also bit that drivers preferences may differ. "Teeth rattling", or much stiffer setup usually is meant for much grippier tires. Have you stated your plans on tires?
I'd say better take it to the track as is, in stock form, to taste how it handles, what and if you need to improve, not just take different driver words as ones to follow as what's best to you too. To me first thing limiting was front camber (to reduce understeer), second brake capabilities (better pads&fluid), then better tires (once stock primacies were through), then ramping overall camber (to even out wear and extra grip) .. and i'm still on stock struts/coils and stock power and yet having loads of fun and still considering if worth to get or not some coilover upgrades for next season or just simply have even more trackdays visited
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-20-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think this is the important bit......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
First off, I'm a DD and don't intend on tracking.
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #12
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Where are you at in Oregon?
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
jeepmor

Been through stock tires, pilot SS, and cheap sumitomo all seasons. Little left on pilots before wear bars, 50% on all seasons. Have all seasons on stock rims stowed away. Car has RPF1 wheels and AOD8 Yokohama tires. 8.5" tread width, better grip than pilots in summer conditions.

Stock suspension is great, but needs some more damping control. Bilstein B16s have the compression rebound tune, but don't have the adjustment on the shock body of others and lower 30-50mm.

It doesn't matter to me that it'll spend 99% of the time in one DD configuration. The option to adjust while on twisty trips from Shaniko to Fossil will be worth it.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #14
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
Thanks for the subjective feedback churchx. I'm a mechanical engineer by education, so I do like the extra options to tune to my liking. Albeit, I agree, once I find a good DD setting, it'll spend most of its time there. My colleague at work stated he likes the damping adjust-ability, and stiffer settings improve times when auto crossing, so I'm sold on it. He said he can stiffen them so much it'll "rattle your teeth, but the times are better." And being I took vibrations in college, I like the premise of tuning compression and rebound independently. Even as you mention, it will take a while to dial in. And I agree training and track/autox time are no substitute for just twisting the damper dials.

Also, upon reading more threads and surfing coilover retailers, I now know I will be buying a setup with camber plates and an adjustable damping style setup. It may be single adjustable damping instead of compression/rebound independence. I'm willing to take on more costs for those features and they aren't pushing me out of my budget. I don't mind a little overkill to have what I want.

My colleague is happy with his adjust-ability, so I'm going to follow that path as he's done a bunch of track and autocross, and still has daily setups he is happy with. I like having the options and would much rather have a one time purchase of overkill than have to revisit later should I start autocrossing and tracking and have to upgrade again. I don't want to go full money pallet, but I don't want to cheap out and ignore my goals either. Even though, I gather there are plenty of decent plug and play options.

Damping adjustment and camber plates are requirements now that I've spent a few hours digging. May need adjustable control arms ultimately, but I'll start with camber bolts then add accordingly. My colleague has coilovers and control arms so he can adjust as he wants. He's pretty happy, so I'm trying to follow in his footsteps a little bit. Just don't have enough time to pick his brain as I like.

My long term goal is to turbo the car, but I want to make handling more capable first. Colleague added a turbo to his recently after many suspension mods. He's glad he has them, but still struggles to keep 275ish whp hooked up when pushing hard.
Have you ridden in you coworkers car? What coils does he have? AutoX is a very specific set-up that awards stiff to eliminate roll where compliance like that is needed for DD.

Camber plates are not needed for a DD and just add more NVH as you now have solid metal where OEM top hats are rubber. You can get more then enough camber via camber bolts for you intended use. Bolts alone can get you -2.5 in front, even more if the upper hole is slotted. And really a performance alignment even on stock suspension will be night and day to how you car currently is. Whats your current/planned alignment?

Double adjustable suspension is probably the best option as you are better able to control the damping but you really need it set up correctly or it can be much worse then stock. KW V3 sounds like it's in your ballpark though a little high on the price side. Talk to a reputable vendor like @Racecomp Engineering as they can help you dial in your settings after you buy.

Ohlins single adjustable may be another worthwhile option to choose if you can settle for single adjustable. Many complain they are a bit soft for track but for DD and the occasional autox it should be great.

How serious are you about the autox but? Because I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are chasing trophies, and in that case you probably want to ditch your wheels for 9" for the extra rubber and move up to a "200TW" tire. Also know that many lower control arms are not legal for STX which is where I assume you would run unless you are FI.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote