follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Top hats for KW V3

Hey everyone,

I just purchased my a set of KW V3 coils and I know these do not come with top hats. I was curious to those who own these coilovers or have knowledge about them if these TRD pillow ball top hats https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/42896 will fit/ not have compatibility issues? Someone had already told me that I would need to find out the shaft size and the spring size on the KW V3 in order to confirm fitment. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any reasson why those?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I have never seen those top hats before and that website has zero information about compatibility. Plus after shipping and tax it will be >$600 with no guarantee it fits properly, although looks like Amazon might have a set of fronts for ~$450. Some sites after googling that part number say they are supposed to be paired with a TRD coilover set with optional 'racing springs' that appear to be 65mm ID, which means you would need to have different spring perches to fit KW (60mm ID springs) as well as a different top nut, maybe you could re-use the OE top nut, not sure how KW mates up to the 86.

There's a few options available off the shelf that should work great, trying to do something 'unique' on this front most of the time leads to headaches, lost hours in the garage, swearing, and a loss of money. Hell I've even seen camber plates ordered from KW that didn't fit their own dampers when they said they would. Not a knock against KW, just that people who do this for a living sometimes screw up compatibility, and you want to trust a google translation that chucking $600+ across the sea will work out? And you didn't come up with the information I just came up with searching for 10 minutes on google?

tl;dr odds that it will bolt right up are extremely low, likely you will need two-three custom fabricated parts on each corner to make these work which will probably run you $50-$100+ per corner if you can design them yourself and have a machine shop make them. Worst case something about the spherical joint makes it totally incompatible with the KW's and you have to find a spherical to replace it meaning you're remaking over half the part to keep the TRD logo on them.

Could you do it? I'm sure with some determination and guidance yes. Will it be worth it? imho no, as soon as you need that first custom piece you're spending significantly more money than many off the shelf options that are known to fit well and with little problem.

Edit: This site makes it at least a little clearer what they're supposed to be paired with.
http://www.trdparts.jp/english/86_pe...atestnews.html
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I have never seen those top hats before and that website has zero information about compatibility. Plus after shipping and tax it will be >$600 with no guarantee it fits properly, although looks like Amazon might have a set of fronts for ~$450. Some sites after googling that part number say they are supposed to be paired with a TRD coilover set with optional 'racing springs' that appear to be 65mm ID, which means you would need to have different spring perches to fit KW (60mm ID springs) as well as a different top nut, maybe you could re-use the OE top nut, not sure how KW mates up to the 86.

There's a few options available off the shelf that should work great, trying to do something 'unique' on this front most of the time leads to headaches, lost hours in the garage, swearing, and a loss of money. Hell I've even seen camber plates ordered from KW that didn't fit their own dampers when they said they would. Not a knock against KW, just that people who do this for a living sometimes screw up compatibility, and you want to trust a google translation that chucking $600+ across the sea will work out? And you didn't come up with the information I just came up with searching for 10 minutes on google?

tl;dr odds that it will bolt right up are extremely low, likely you will need two-three custom fabricated parts on each corner to make these work which will probably run you $50-$100+ per corner if you can design them yourself and have a machine shop make them. Worst case something about the spherical joint makes it totally incompatible with the KW's and you have to find a spherical to replace it meaning you're remaking over half the part to keep the TRD logo on them.

Could you do it? I'm sure with some determination and guidance yes. Will it be worth it? imho no, as soon as you need that first custom piece you're spending significantly more money than many off the shelf options that are known to fit well and with little problem.

Edit: This site makes it at least a little clearer what they're supposed to be paired with.
http://www.trdparts.jp/english/86_pe...atestnews.html
Thank you for the information now I guess it's time for me to continue looking for top hats that will in fact pair up with the KWs.

The reason I would've preferred the TRD ones is so that it would match my build but if I have to run something completely separate that's fine by me
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
How much camber do you want to run?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #6
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
How much camber do you want to run?

- Andrew
I was only capable of doing -2.5 up front with camber bolts in the bottom and top hole. Was looking to get to top hats just for more adjustability in case I change my setup and need more front camber.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I was only capable of doing -2.5 up front with camber bolts in the bottom and top hole. Was looking to get to top hats just for more adjustability in case I change my setup and need more front camber.
Do KW have a slotted strut hole for camber adjustment? If so you should then get even more with the crash bolt in the slotted hole i would think.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
finch1750: KWs & based on them RCE Tarmacs had. I recall reading, that it's not advisable to use camber bolts in slotted strut mount holes though.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:43 AM   #9
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just get Raceseng, made in USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:19 AM   #10
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I guess it's time for me to continue looking for top hats that will in fact pair up with the KWs.
Raceseng Velox Vorshlag Cusco
I'm sure there's but all of those should pose minimal problems.

Last edited by strat61caster; 09-14-2017 at 02:32 AM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:42 AM   #11
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
finch1750: KWs & based on them RCE Tarmacs had. I recall reading, that it's not advisable to use camber bolts in slotted strut mount holes though.
I know it isnt advised to use eccentric bolts, but the smaller diameter crash bolt isnt either? I figured those would be OK since its no different then running in a non-slotted strut really
@Racecomp Engineering can you clarify?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 AM   #12
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
finch1750: maybe it will hold well if properly tightened (of course not too much. I already had once head of one bolt sheered), but one thing would be less slip safety (for cambolt in round hole you have tab that pushes against one of sides, and eccentric body of bolt, that pushes at other, no?), for which i'd use some extra means then (eg. loctite or paint, to increase friction), another thing .. if i get right, then while cambolt adjustment might work pushing from one side of slot, it wouldn't push back if turned in other direction, due slot being .. well, slot, and much wider.
Smaller crash bolts .. there is no fine adjustment, it's just smaller diameter then stock to allow some play, one just tightens it down at one position. But then (if slot is wide enough) why not use full strength right sized stock bolt (and fine-adjust with cambolt in other, non slotted hole (if only one of them is slotted)).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #13
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I run Raceseng Cas/Cam plates on my V3s, and I have no complaints.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-14-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:39 AM   #14
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
finch1750: maybe it will hold well if properly tightened (of course not too much. I already had once head of one bolt sheered), but one thing would be less slip safety (for cambolt in round hole you have tab that pushes against one of sides, and eccentric body of bolt, that pushes at other, no?), for which i'd use some extra means then (eg. loctite or paint, to increase friction), another thing .. if i get right, then while cambolt adjustment might work pushing from one side of slot, it wouldn't push back if turned in other direction, due slot being .. well, slot, and much wider.
Smaller crash bolts .. there is no fine adjustment, it's just smaller diameter then stock to allow some play, one just tightens it down at one position. But then (if slot is wide enough) why not use full strength right sized stock bolt (and fine-adjust with cambolt in other, non slotted hole (if only one of them is slotted)).
Yeah, I'm not saying its the best way but if someone is set on keeping rubber top hats vs. solid camber plates it would be an option. Though needing much more then -2.5 and I would think camber plates would be a small trade off as that would be a very aggressive alignment