follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
Taisenki

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is this project doable? (My dream build)

I want to start with the limited trim of the brz.
I'm in love with the Rocket Bunny body kit of the car so that's definitely going to be apart of my dream build.
This post is not completely done and I need feedback because I'm really new to the auto world, and especially the aftermarket business.
I was going around on youtube and found tons of videos about plasti dip and was wondering what are the pros and cons to using plasti dip compared to getting a "normal" paint job.
I know that I want the car to have this kind of color [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlunZdmyc10"]Alien Plasti Dip (GC-47) - YouTube[/ame]

Another thing to add is I just found a set of tail lights that I really like http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...-LBLED-RD.html
After snooping around for a little bit, I stumbled onto the Scion frs that WBJ made with Jade Motorsports. I really like these wheels:
Wheels
http://www.str-racing.com/products-p...w-machine-lip/
http://www.ravspec.com/shop/advan-ra...114-flat-black
http://www.str-racing.com/products-p...str-502-black/
I've also seen videos about how crawford performance can double the bhp out of the brz... Not sure I want something that expensive and powerful, 300 bhp should be just enough for me, any suggestions?

PS. sorry for the extremely messy/noob post, I've never made a forum post until now. Any suggestions/feedback would be amazing, you guys know better than any group of people on the brz/frs so I know I'm in good hands. And big thanks to anyone who reads the complete post.
Taisenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
boucher
Leaux Down Krewe

Drives: 2014 SSM Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
My advice: Do a lot of reading on these forums before posting a "will all this work" type of post. You can't gain all the knowledge all at once, but if you research each different part of your build, you can learn what is and what isn't possible, as well as how to do it. Everything you've asked has been answered before, just look for it. You seem very energetic and wishful, but don't try to build your whole car in a day.

Follow me on IG: @rougarou86
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boucher For This Useful Post:
calmtigers (10-22-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
The best way to learn about cars is slowly working on your own and getting the confidence. Don't be scared about minor work. I even consider replacing your flywheel and clutch as minor. A wise mechanic once said to me "what are you nervous about? It's just nuts and bolts" as we dug into my first job as an apprentice: doing a head gasket.

Rocket bunny isn't for the feint of heart as it requires cutting the body sheet metal. So be sure you're confident before trying that! But really it's not all too hard. You have my blessing on the advan wheels. Good choice!

Welcome to the community! You'll find a lot of sound advice on here, and you'll also find some stupid advice. Hopefully you can tell the difference and make good decisions for your vehicle!
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VacantSky For This Useful Post:
WallsAndFoundations (11-02-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Taisenki

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thank you boucher and VacantSky, very glad to join a great community.
Taisenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Slow down.

Ok, first consider your driving skill level and needs. (it's quite possible the BRZ is more car than you can handle at 10/10 and you might not need to improve anything on the car at this point. Don't be offended - this car is quite capable!)

Next, consider financial aspects. Is your car paid off? How much will the mods cost? Which mod will bring me the best bang for the buck? And which mods will increase or decrease my car's value the most?

Best thing to do is be well educated on the car and what mods you might or might not want. You found a good website here but unfortunately you now have to put in the legwork of reading through the various threads on these topics, while learning what information is true and which posts to filter out.

Sounds like you are excited about your new car and hobby - that's great! Now drive the car - learn how it handles, read up on driving techniques, and hone your skills. Then you'll get a better feeling of if you want a stiffer ride or more hp or more grip or cosmetic add ons to "impress" other people like yourself.

Bottom line - will this work? Yes - pretty much anything you'd like to do to this car - especially stuff others have already done - is possible; with enough money anything is possible. What you need to ask rather is: what do I need now? And only you can answer that, from experience driving the car.

There's a "popular" TV car show that often has the presenters race against each other. One presenter is a professional race car driver, the others are not. They will often put the race car driver in a slower car to even the playing field, but that's usually not enough. Slower car wins bc of the skill of the driver. Best of all, the skills you pick up as a driver tranfer from car to car for the rest of your life!
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ashtray For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #6
manualmotive

Drives: '14 BRZ Todoroki/OriginLabo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Are you willing to spend more money on modding your car then the entire worth of your car? This shit is fucking expensive. Read the wing:

manualmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manualmotive For This Useful Post:
Kiske (10-26-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
yes

rocket bunny fenders fit on the FRS/BRZ

plastidip adheres to subaru paint just as well as it adheres to anything else

you can put wheels on these cars too
AncientCityFRS (10-26-2014), Maverick22 (10-27-2014), raven1231 (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 05:31 AM   #8
calmtigers

Drives: 2014 Whiteout TRD FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Remember mods are give and take there's a reason these cars did come wide bodied with massive rims
"I love dinosaurs so much that I’ve based my life on burning as much black melted dinosaur flesh as I can on a daily basis...even the screaming sound of prehistoric reptilians being burnt through any of the classic Japanese four cylinders gives me great joy."
calmtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
ovm_catalyst
Jax86Club

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Premium MT
Keep in mind that when you're looking at wheels, minimum requirement you need to be aware of is that the bolt pattern for our cars is natively 5x100. I didn't look at all 3 of the wheel links you posted but the Advans were 5x114, and the 3rd link was a 4 bolt wheel. (Yes, I know adapters/spacers etc exist, but you get my point)

Theres a good thread on here explaining wheel offset + all the other technicalities of fitting wheels + tires, just browse around that part of the forum.

Edit: I did a lot of forum lurking for months before I got my car last month, so keep doin' what you're doing and good luck.
ovm_catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'd start with simple mods like intake, crank pulley and exhaust before diving into forced induction and permanent mods like rocket bunny. Pretty much all mods decrease the value of a car, so if this is an issue, I'd suggest rethinking your priorities.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Look into vinyl wrapping the car rather than dipping it. I've yet to see a dipped car that didn't look like crap after a few months.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #12
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
The only reason I would dip a car would be to protect the paint. Dip will NEVER look better than paint! It will protect paint if that's what you want.
My advice would be to build a car based on function, not necessarily form.
Educate yourself so you don't go broke (1st of all), and end up with a product/car that you can be proud of and one that works for you.
Anything is doable with funds. But funds don't always make practical machines.
Planning is everything! Research, knowledge, and advice from those with experience in building cars will help you get the tools you need.
I see Plasti Dipping as the next generation of paint protection (long term).
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #13
Maverick22

Drives: 2013 Rocketbunny GT86
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Find the rocketbunny registry, do some research, do more research.....
Maverick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
jadewbj

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Anything can be done if you have the money. I personally am not a fan of dipped cars. They look pretty good from far but are far from good up close. I would recommend a wrap over dip all day long.

Keep in kind there is kind of no going back from rocket bunny, things get cut pretty seriously.

Thanks for the compliment on the wheels. I love them too.
jadewbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, build, dream, subaru