follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
HeresMyMind

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ohlin's vs. KW V3.

I am currently in a serious debate between these 2 coils for my car.

It is a stage 2 brz used as a DD and auto crossed 1 time a month.

What are the major differences between the 2? Has anyone driven on both setups?

Yes I have searched this topic, but didnt find good usable date.

-B
HeresMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What's a higher priority, DD comfort or autox performance? Are you comfortable test and tuning damper settings and changing spring rates? Are you building a competitive scca car? Just local events for kicks? What kind of tires will you use?
imo neither will be great off the shelf for a competitive autox build, the springs are too soft. There's more potential in theory for the kw v3 because they are double adjustable, but that means more ways to get it set up wrong than right, I've heard that the Ohlins are more comfortable (maybe the most comfortable on this platform) but that may hold back ultimate performance. Sorry no direct experience with either but I've looked at a lot of setups for autox and there's not much off the shelf that's appealing imho. For a dual duty car where autox competitiveness isn't the top priority you'll probably be happy with either depending on where you personally land. If you want a more competitive setup there's other options but some have been successful on re-sprung V3's.

Last edited by strat61caster; 10-11-2018 at 12:14 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
What is stage 2?
Boris_Petrov (07-24-2019), brybot (11-01-2018), kch (10-22-2018), strat61caster (10-11-2018), wparsons (10-11-2018), yberther (10-28-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
HeresMyMind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
What is stage 2?
Just the typical full exhaust with headers and a tune. No boost or e85

Current have konis and eibach pro springs.

Not planning on going crazy and needing clubsport kw’s.

I do plan on running stx in autocross with some 17x9 245/40r17s

-B
Old 10-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Both are pretty darn good choices and a big step up from what you have now.

1. For the Ohlins, the "new" standard Ohlins spring rates are not my favorite. We HIGHLY recommend customizing the spring rates. We have done this multiple times now with good success and can put together something that would fit your usage well. There is no upcharge from us on that.

2. The KW V3 gives you some tuning flexibility, if you can take advantage of it. Better handling than the standard spring rate Ohlins, but when customized right the Ohlins would have an edge in ride quality and handling.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Turbo (10-11-2018), wparsons (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Both are pretty darn good choices and a big step up from what you have now.

1. For the Ohlins, the "new" standard Ohlins spring rates are not my favorite. We HIGHLY recommend customizing the spring rates. We have done this multiple times now with good success and can put together something that would fit your usage well. There is no upcharge from us on that.

2. The KW V3 gives you some tuning flexibility, if you can take advantage of it. Better handling than the standard spring rate Ohlins, but when customized right the Ohlins would have an edge in ride quality and handling.

- Andrew

Would you recommend 'customizing' the V3's with different springs as well? And would this improve their performance to the level of a properly customized set of Ohlins?

Any thoughts on how the KW V3s would compare to a Japanese shock like the HKS Hipermax 4 SP ?
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-16-2020)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Off the shelf, the KW are better. The Ohlins need some massaging to really get done right.

It really comes down to, are you willing to learn to use two knobs to optimize the behavior of the car to both street driving and performance driving, or do you want to just "plug and play"?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Boris_Petrov (07-24-2019), chaoskaze (10-09-2021), Turbo (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Would you recommend 'customizing' the V3's with different springs as well? And would this improve their performance to the level of a properly customized set of Ohlins?

Any thoughts on how the KW V3s would compare to a Japanese shock like the HKS Hipermax 4 SP ?
At that point, just get some RCE T2s. They're a custom valved and custom sprung coilover based on KW. The KW V3s potential is more limited since revalves are not really possible (only rebuilds to standard spec).

Have not tried the HKS coilovers. I like some of the specs of both the GT and SP coilovers, but there are a few things that I would change (spring rates on the GT for example, though the dyno plot I saw was solid for a street car and I like the top hats they use). The dyno on the SP was much more aggressive and I would expect a harsher ride over bumps than the Ohlins or KWs.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Turbo (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #9
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Off the shelf, the KW are better. The Ohlins need some massaging to really get done right.

It really comes down to, are you willing to learn to use two knobs to optimize the behavior of the car to both street driving and performance driving, or do you want to just "plug and play"?

In your opinion, how suitable are these two coil-overs for track-driving? And is one better suited than the other, once spring rates are optimized?

Would a change in spring rates improve the KW's performance on this front, similar to how Andrew suggested the Ohlins need? There seem to be a lot of FT86 drivers whose cars see extensive track use with minimal street time.

Up to what level of track-day use/competition do you see the KW's and Ohlins' being a reasonably competitive option?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Up to what level of track-day use/competition do you see the driver being a reasonably competitive option?
Ftfy.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
HeresMyMind

I drive my year round about 13,500 miles. And autocross 7-8 times a year.

I’m looking for something mainly comfortable.

I have eibach and konis but didn’t know if good could would be more comfy as a Daly.

-B
Old 10-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
In your opinion, how suitable are these two coil-overs for track-driving? And is one better suited than the other, once spring rates are optimized?

Would a change in spring rates improve the KW's performance on this front, similar to how Andrew suggested the Ohlins need? There seem to be a lot of FT86 drivers whose cars see extensive track use with minimal street time.

Up to what level of track-day use/competition do you see the KW's and Ohlins' being a reasonably competitive option?
Parts don't determine competitiveness; the driver does.

The parts should really be used to build a car you are comfortable and consistent driving. In that regard, the Ohlins have a higher upper potential limit, due to the more extensive support available for them.

Unless you are planning on doing multiple rebuilds/revalves to get the exact behavior you want (and already have the knowledge to speak with the folks at Ohlins or a damper shop of your choice such as PSI), you're better off getting something already proven.

Consider a pre-proven, pre-customized option like RCE T2, or CSG FLA.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (10-11-2018), Boris_Petrov (07-24-2019), Racecomp Engineering (10-11-2018), wparsons (10-12-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Parts don't determine competitiveness; the driver does.

The parts should really be used to build a car you are comfortable and consistent driving. In that regard, the Ohlins have a higher upper potential limit, due to the more extensive support available for them.

Unless you are planning on doing multiple rebuilds/revalves to get the exact behavior you want (and already have the knowledge to speak with the folks at Ohlins or a damper shop of your choice such as PSI), you're better off getting something already proven.

Consider a pre-proven, pre-customized option like RCE T2, or CSG FLA.
Wise words
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #14
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
At that point, just get some RCE T2s. They're a custom valved and custom sprung coilover based on KW. The KW V3s potential is more limited since revalves are not really possible (only rebuilds to standard spec).

Yeah, that makes sense.

What about a situation where someone already has a set of KW V3's ready to install (as I do)? Knowing that the valving couldn't be changed later on, what (if anything) would you do on the spring front there? I'll be migrating there from the HKS SP that are on the car now.

It's a track-day car that drives to/from the track and sees a bit of weekend use.