follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Drives: Ablaze MT (2016)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car got broken into - Stock tires stolen

I feel really really awful and bad. I really didn't expect to happen. And posting this here is embarrassing and shameful, but I decided to do it anyway. Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes. Here's the quick story:

I swapped out my wheels+tires for my winter tires. I usually store the stock in a warehouse, but this year my apartment building gave me a locker room and I was going to keep it in there.

Unfortunately, the key to the locker room came a day AFTER I left for a one week vacation. So I kept the tires in the back of m car (3 in the back seat, one in the trunk) while I was away.

My car is parked in a secure underground parking out with a camera JUST above my car. I didn't even think that someone would have the odasity to do this. I live in a pretty safe neigbourhood. I was cleary wrong and stupid.

I see scratch marks in the keyhole of the driver side handle. I'm guessing that's how they got in. Didn't think it would be that easy for them to get in.. sigh.

This is my first car, my first stupid mistake.... sorry guys. I know it was stupid.

I called up my insurance and made a claim. I'm with TD. This happened last night, so I will only hear back on Monday.

Hopefully I can get covered under home insurance and not the comprehensive car coverage. I don't want my premiums to go up...

Anyway, I'm depressed.
PoRco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
So sad to hear. However, don't beat your self up too much. Hind sight is always 20/20 but I don't consider you stupid.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
racecat (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well, considering how ugly the stock wheels are...

Don't worry too much about it, shitty people do shitty things and there isn't much you can do about it. This is why you have insurance.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Thanks for the support guys...

Any idea whether theft affects insurance premium? How much would it be to replace my stocks.

I lease this car, so I'm gonna have to replace them.

Also, I love the stock wheels I love this car so much for what it is Didn't want to change a thing
Old 12-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Don't get too down on yourself. could have been worse. A few small scratches is better than a window being broken or worse. apparently the alarm didn't go off???????
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
86-tundra
Troll Hunter

Drives: fr-s, tundra
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
I agree, don't get down on yourself, stock wheels and tires come cheap around here. Work with your home / renters insurance, IMO. You can get a used set of stock wheels and tires w/o tpms for $500. tpms will cost you $200, not sure if you had them in yours or not.

your car insurance premium shouldn't go up by this, but unless you've got a real low premium, it's not gonna be worth it. so many people are selling stock wheels and tires.
86-tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoRco View Post
Thanks for the support guys...

Any idea whether theft affects insurance premium? How much would it be to replace my stocks.

I lease this car, so I'm gonna have to replace them.

Also, I love the stock wheels I love this car so much for what it is Didn't want to change a thing
I'm a retired insurance claims manager and from my past experiences I have never known of a comprehensive loss (stolen tires) having any impact on your insurance rates. It is considered 'non-chargeable'. You can always double check by asking your agent.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Rio (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Don't get too down on yourself. could have been worse. A few small scratches is better than a window being broken or worse. apparently the alarm didn't go off???????
I know.. I'm pretty surprised about this too. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorovert View Post
I agree, don't get down on yourself, stock wheels and tires come cheap around here. Work with your home / renters insurance, IMO. You can get a used set of stock wheels and tires w/o tpms for $500. tpms will cost you $200, not sure if you had them in yours or not.

your car insurance premium shouldn't go up by this, but unless you've got a real low premium, it's not gonna be worth it. so many people are selling stock wheels and tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
I'm a retired insurance claims manager and from my past experiences I have never known of a comprehensive loss (stolen tires) having any impact on your insurance rates. It is considered 'non-chargeable'. You can always double check by asking your agent.
Thank you! This makes me feel slightly better!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
trekkie

Drives: 2011 Camry Hybrid
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
hope you have renter or homeowner insurance. Usually if the insides are stolen and it's not the car itself the car insurance won't cover, your insurance will tell you for certain.
trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
suckers. those tires suck.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tanuki For This Useful Post:
cfusionpm (12-30-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
PoRco
Ef Arr Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkie View Post
hope you have renter or homeowner insurance. Usually if the insides are stolen and it's not the car itself the car insurance won't cover, your insurance will tell you for certain.
I have renters insurance! Car was in underground parking lot with surveillance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
suckers. those tires suck.

Haha, I'm glad I posted here now. It was hard to admit this openly, but you guys have made me feel a lot better <3
Old 12-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Redlinedfrs86

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Man that sucks
Redlinedfrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
ntron1
Sarcastic Bastard

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ, '13 Mini, 1999 Blazer
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
http://bit.ly/19vLRTr

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...58187178,d.cWc
Old 12-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
BLTcookie

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
The alarm seems pretty forgiving when it comes to the car being forcibly opened. I had an absent-minded moment where I locked my key in my trunk and had to call road service. They used a pump wedge to crack open the window so they could reach a hook into the car and unlock it. My car didn't seem to mind very much. If a person does this, the button for the trunk won't open, which is a nice security measure. However, I found that if you know where the two pull-cords on the back of the rear seats are, you can easily just reach your hand around the side of the back seats and yank them down. The service guy, my friends and I were all pretty concerned with how easy it was to break into the car without setting off the alarm.
BLTcookie is offline   Reply With Quote