follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #43
Employee

Drives: XXX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja View Post
I'll have better pictures tomorrow. I'll be calling Scion tomorrow as well to see what options are available for me.

Here's a quick comparison for now. Driver's side on left and passenger on right (duh, lol).

As you can see, the driver's side gap remains consistent from top to bottom. The bottom running boards line up as well. Different story on the passenger. Large gap up top that narrows as you go down. Notice the lines along the bottom of the door and fender don't match up.

Perfectly flush driver's side whereas the passenger fender is bowed out approx. 0.25 inch up top and bows inward at the bottom.

I suppose it's not a HUGE deal since the car still drives fine unlike the CEL issue people have been dealing with, but it bothers me, and now that I know it's there, I'm going to notice it all the time.

It's actually better to have the fender outboard as opposed to flush the reason for this is stone chips. Why it does not look the same on each side is again likely because it is within Scion's tolerance specs and there are 2 different people fitting each side

As for the door x fender gaps it's normal deviation the spec is likely 1.2-1.0mm top to bottom.

I'm not trying to be an a$$ but these are 25k not $250k cars. I joined this forum to see issues people are having and try to help you deal with the pain. I have yet to buy one as I wanted to research them first. I admit I am surprised to see the number of things people are having trouble with the car not being perfect. Again it is a new model and as time goes by bugs will get worked out. Realistically I could walk on to ANY dealership and point out flaws, repair work etc...it comes with the job. I clearly remember looking at a 75k Viper in racing blue with white stripes talking to the dealer and asking "if the paint drip on the C pillar right beside the fuel lid" was included in the price.
Employee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #44
Ro_Ja

Drives: TOYOTA
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You have a point and I agree with you. It's not a Lambroghini, Bugatti, or LFA. In fact, it actually reminds me of the days when cars were made by hand (in this case, they are if two different techs are installing the fenders on each side by hand) and the tolerances varied from car to car. Plus, it gives the car a little distinct character.

However, this isn't just an issue of a few errors in manufacturing tolerance that slipped by. There's an actual TSB out for the issue which means Toyota has acknowledged that panels may be noticeably out of tolerance on more than just a few cars, and mine happens to be one of those. I'm not asking for a whole new car or any ridiculous compensation. I'm only going through this because I'm curious if there are any options for a little finessing or tweaking so that the panels sit correctly on the car.
Ro_Ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #45
DieselxIndustry

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have this and the punks at the dealership blamed it on a small door crease at the center of the passenger side door. About 2 inches tall. It looks exactly like your picture though at the fender. I'm so livid about that cause I believed it was like that since production. I have an appt Saturday so I will bring it back up.
DieselxIndustry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #46
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Toyota, in general, has pretty good panel fit. I had a 94 Camry that would put most high end cars to shame even now. This is really a step back and not acceptable.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #47
Shipwreck
Fanboy

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am a victim of the condensation of the tail light I just noticed it today because we have been receiving a shit ton of rain here in hawaii recently
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #48
Employee

Drives: XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja View Post
You have a point and I agree with you. It's not a Lambroghini, Bugatti, or LFA. In fact, it actually reminds me of the days when cars were made by hand (in this case, they are if two different techs are installing the fenders on each side by hand) and the tolerances varied from car to car. Plus, it gives the car a little distinct character.

However, this isn't just an issue of a few errors in manufacturing tolerance that slipped by. There's an actual TSB out for the issue which means Toyota has acknowledged that panels may be noticeably out of tolerance on more than just a few cars, and mine happens to be one of those. I'm not asking for a whole new car or any ridiculous compensation. I'm only going through this because I'm curious if there are any options for a little finessing or tweaking so that the panels sit correctly on the car.

The TSB is more likely just for confinement. They can find the number ranges of when and who was on a certain shift. I don't think most people on this forum have a clue based on comments on how their car was put together.

I find it very hard to believe that Toyota/Scion quality gates would let such large number of cars thru. There is 4 quality gates before those cars get shipped out

1. AI (assembly inspection) looks at fits, finish overall finished car

2. VP (vehicle performance) headlamps adjusted, computer & steering set, and engine is run up to about 70mph so if something is going to pop out of the engine it will happen in a closed garage type setting as well as to clean out any small engine debris

3. CS (customer service) this line has all lines from body repair, paint, plastics, assembly repair etc.. Last people to see the car before it heads to the water test.

4.SI (shipping inspection) when the car is driven off cs line it heads into the water shower as it comes out SI will inspect for water leaks (window perimeter front and back doors and luggage.

Random cars are pulled off daily for Audit checks & water tests

Audit will go over the entire car and highlight any area with issues example:

Most people know about the water in the (Combi) lights "tail lights" and we also know its not on every car. This is because a certain amount of cars got thru with issues that the quality gates could not pick up on due to time. Some people had it show up after their first wash others have had no issues and others over time now have a problem.

The water test random cars are pulled off and put under a heavy shower condition. At the end of a 30 minute cycle the car is then inspected for water leaks in all door perimeters, luggage and interior if that car is clean then there is no reason to believe there are any issues. It sounds weak but remember during this time there are cars going thru a shower test as well not as heavy but are still being sent thru a ver heavy rain test.

I have read many posts about people complaining about things they consider abnormal. The attention these cars actually receive and what people think they should receive are two different worlds.

The cars are built by humans who work like robots there is always room for error.
Employee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #49
Travis

Drives: FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My panels fit well. However the difference in paint color is very annoying. Front and rear bumpers are noticeably different shades
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #50
EBMCS03

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Havnet noticed the gaps in the hood. But noticed difference in gap on the trunk. Doesn't bother mentoo much. I bet they will just bend it and make the structure integrity worse trying to fix it. Prob worth leaving it alone if it's not too noticeable.

Hasn't it been said. Germans make sure each car piece fits together like a puzzle but Japanese just makes sure they all fit on the car.
EBMCS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #51
Tunz

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Ro Ja,
Any updates? My brz has the same gap at the fender. I've contacted my dealership about it, but they haven't been much help.
Tunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #52
Ro_Ja

My dealership was incredibly helpful when I opened the case, but since then, I haven't heard anything from the dealership end or Scion's. Sometime during the week, I will do a follow-up call to check the status. I suspect there hasn't been any progress on resolving the TSB.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ro_Ja For This Useful Post:
Tunz (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #53
Ro_Ja

Speak of the devil... The dealership just called to let me know that Scion is fixing my fender issue! Sweet!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #54
Ro_Ja

Body panel misalignment issue is RESOLVED!

After opening a case with Scion Corp., the entire process was transferred to Toyota Sunnyvale (Northern California) who took care of me and the car. After about 3 weeks of processing my claim, I received a call yesterday from Toyota Sunnyvale to bring the car in. I took it down this morning to check in and then drove to the pre-selected body shop in the area. At the body shop, the fix literally took less than 10 minutes and the fender did not have to be removed. Apparently, the whole issue can be fixed by opening the door to access the bolts in the doorjamb and adjusting said bolts. It now looks like how it should have come from the factory. I'm pleased with the whole experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ro_Ja For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (03-20-2013), Tunz (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #55
Tunz

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Exactly which bolts were adjusted?
Tunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #56
Ro_Ja

Sorry, I don't know which ones exactly.