follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #29
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Remember when (was it Mazda?) there was a 1.8L V6?
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
mx-3
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #31
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
The two are not the same type of car. It's the same as saying 'do you feel the same about a Mack truck?"

And yes a cayman over a gt but I'd be tempted by the boss 302 ls over a cayman s.

But as one can tell by the cars I've owned I have no interest in large engines and large horsepower numbers.
But they are going after the same driver focused lightweight feeling unlike a Mack truck.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #32
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
mx-3

My little cousin had one of those way back in the day. I like the idea. Imagine a 2.5 V10 LOL
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #33
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
it just seems like it would be a small limited run on what is already a niche car. when you make less of a car you end up spending more on development per car than something compared to a corolla. the advancement from oem would put the car into another segment where again it would be outpowered or overpriced
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #34
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Im still very happy to own a factory GT86 or BRZ as a 200bhp rwd car and use it for a daily driver.

But I would like a flat 6 model with 6 speed and RWD. But dont think that would even happen.
I also would love to see a NA flat 6 with D4-S

I would prefer a 6 than going turbo 4 cylinder on FT or BRZ.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #35
SIRvive
All Stars [All*]

Drives: 01 Ford Expedition 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86mods View Post
Are you serious? You honestly think this way?

Wow.

Don't buy one then, leaves more for the real enthusiasts who aren't looking for a bunch of number bragging rights. So many people on this forum completely miss the point of this car.

There's something called power to weight ratio, not to mention a car developed from the ground up to be perfectly balanced with a low center of gravity. It's about the driving experience, end of story. Simplicity, light weight, engine response & reliability.

Enzo Ferrari, the god of the modern sports car had at least 3 original Minis, because he said they were one of the most fun cars to drive. They had tiny 850cc motors that couldn't have made over 70hp. He understood the point of a "driver's car", just like a lot of the people who are drooling over this car.

This car will go down in the history books & I see it being used for track days, autocross etc, a lot like the Miata. The only problem I see is the price point. Miatas are much cheaper.
I think you misread what I was saying.. "the general public" not me. I would like this car to succeed. But given how most people think, when they want a sports car they want one that is fast and has hp/tq to back it up. Im waiting until i can test drive one to decide myself.
SIRvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #36
SIRvive
All Stars [All*]

Drives: 01 Ford Expedition 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Then are you willing to pay $32k~$34k w 280hp?
I'd be willing to pay $30k for 280hp NA (and if they put different tail lights on it.. damn those are ugly lol). If all they do is slap a turbo on it would be overpriced in my eyes. 200hp for $20k is a good deal.
SIRvive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #37
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [es vi: eks] View Post
Im still very happy to own a factory GT86 or BRZ as a 200bhp rwd car and use it for a daily driver.

But I would like a flat 6 model with 6 speed and RWD. But dont think that would even happen.
I also would love to see a NA flat 6 with D4-S

I would prefer a 6 than going turbo 4 cylinder on FT or BRZ.
The thing with more cylinders is that while it's smoother, you have more friction and cooling loss (although it's not that much). I think it'd be cool to see a slightly bored out high revving FA20, maybe like 2.2-2.4L ish, over 8000rpm, it could make over 250hp.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #38
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
No.

I know its insane to think about, but car companies (even Toyota) do come out with brand new cars eventually...right? Like maybe...a bigger brother? Right?

The FR-S will live its life entirely as a 4-cyl.

Honestly, this is probably just the beginning. No, I'm not saying Supra successor, but expect a mid-range priced 6cyl sports car from Toyota in the near future. Their lineup is entirely devoid of it.

IS350 doesn't count....as its not mid-range.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #39
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
No.

I know its insane to think about, but car companies (even Toyota) do come out with brand new cars eventually...right? Like maybe...a bigger brother? Right?

The FR-S will live its life entirely as a 4-cyl.

Honestly, this is probably just the beginning. No, I'm not saying Supra successor, but expect a mid-range priced 6cyl sports car from Toyota in the near future. Their lineup is entirely devoid of it.

IS350 doesn't count....as its not mid-range.
im not so sure there is a place for mid range anymore. at least in america the middle class is disappearing so it makes sense that cars of that nature would vanish too. also with turbo 4s becoming more efficient and more powerful it just seems like that wouldnt be the best idea
Old 03-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #40
gt86mods
Toyobaru Obsessed

Drives: 97' Civic Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
im not so sure there is a place for mid range anymore. at least in america the middle class is disappearing so it makes sense that cars of that nature would vanish too. also with turbo 4s becoming more efficient and more powerful it just seems like that wouldnt be the best idea
There is definitely an open slot for a 30k+ sports can in Toyota's lineup. Seeing as how the 370z has lost it's luster and gone stale, it's the perfect opportunity for Toyota to come up with a no frills true sports car in this price range. Charging more will enable them to add features like a 300+hp v6, bigger brakes, beefier suspension and maybe even a dual clutch for those who don't like using their left foot. Hopefully they can keep this new car under 3200lbs by using alloy suspension and other weight saving components they weren't able to fit to the 86 due to cost restraints.

I'm willing to bet by 2015 we will start hearing rumors of this new sports car, and I personally can't friggin wait. TOYOTA IS BACK!!!

Canon Photographer - My Website - Flickr Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
That's it. I'm cancelling my pre pre-order.
gt86mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #41
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt86mods View Post
There is definitely an open slot for a 30k+ sports can in Toyota's lineup. Seeing as how the 370z has lost it's luster and gone stale, it's the perfect opportunity for Toyota to come up with a no frills true sports car in this price range. Charging more will enable them to add features like a 300+hp v6, bigger brakes, beefier suspension and maybe even a dual clutch for those who don't like using their left foot. Hopefully they can keep this new car under 3200lbs by using alloy suspension and other weight saving components they weren't able to fit to the 86 due to cost restraints.

I'm willing to bet by 2015 we will start hearing rumors of this new sports car, and I personally can't friggin wait. TOYOTA IS BACK!!!
i think definitely is a pretty strong word. there is a real chance that the 370 has gone stale simply because, like i said, that is a whithering market. to make things worse is that with cars like the mustang costing under 26k for 412 hp v8s, a 30k+ v6 seems stupid
Old 03-11-2012, 01:21 AM   #42
gt86mods
Toyobaru Obsessed

Drives: 97' Civic Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i think definitely is a pretty strong word. there is a real chance that the 370 has gone stale simply because, like i said, that is a whithering market. to make things worse is that with cars like the mustang costing under 26k for 412 hp v8s, a 30k+ v6 seems stupid
I say definitely because it's going to happen. Toyota is already working on it. The 370z is junk, I've driven one and I thought it was a waste of money personally. It's an overweight, dull, boring driving experience, I wasn't a fan of the 350z either but somehow Nissan watered is down even more for the 370. Majority of magazines and professional reviewers didn't care much for the 370z, that has to stand for something. If you build something good people will buy it. If you build shit, it will flop. However if it's a true success even those who have more money will want one because it's THAT good. It's already happening with the FR-S/BRZ.

30-40k isn't an outrageous amount of money these days by any means for a performance car. That's EVO/STI money. If Toyota builds a car that is right in that price point that is built with true passion for enthusiasts, it will be another hit, guaranteed. Disagree with me if you like but I won't be convinced otherwise. Since when has there been a TRULY great car released that hasn't done well, in any price point?

Canon Photographer - My Website - Flickr Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86'd View Post
That's it. I'm cancelling my pre pre-order.
gt86mods is offline   Reply With Quote