follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 09-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #253
Traffic

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
1) i recall post on stock wheels, that "225/55/17 rubs, 225/50/17 fine".
I'd probably go for 195/65R16 or 205/60R16. Mind you, not checked/confirmed fit for no rubbing (myself went last winter on 205/55R16).
2) depends on use & priorities. In ice motorsports many preferred studded hakka 8 to 9, while imho 9 might be ahead/improvement on some important to "normal" drivers areas.
R3 - seems concentrated on lower noise/lower rolling resistance (thus possibly better wear and fuel economy)/more comfortable/rated for higher speeds.
But as in winter tires i'm after most grip on ice/snow ignoring any other shortcomings .. R3 don't look the tire for me and imho R2 might be less compromised for me in area that matters most. Will wait for more reviews/comparisons between the two and those of competitors.
3) max traction .. remember also going for narrower tire. BTW, imho even 205 too wide for twins weight in winter. Imho 195 might be more optimal width. I liked traction of 2nd gen MR2 (almost same weight as twins) on 185 width on ice/snow (also on hakkas8, just as i was previous winter, but on 205/55R16) much more, hence my guess that going even narrower may improve things. There are cars that grip well on ice/snow even on 205, 215 or wider .. but more often they weight 1.5t and up.
Really good points. As for the Nokian R3s I had the same concerns as you stated. I modify my driving style during winter months and noise and rolling resistance mean very little to me. Ill have to find more reviews on them since they are still relatively new.
The like idea of running a 195/65/16. My only concern would be lateral stability in the dry.
Traffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #254
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
BTW, have you thought of not going for max diameter tires you can fit w/o rubbing, instead installing strut lift spacers or a bit longer springs and closer to stock diameter tires?
As for dry/wet stability/performance on tarmac .. those are points i also don't care much in winter. Car will still handle good enough driving within legal limits , and possibly still will be more stable then most normal family cars or SUVs. I simply can hoon/push a bit less on roads in good state. I can afford give up some grip when it's plentiful. I want to maximize grip when it's scarce.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #255
Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
BTW, have you thought of not going for max diameter tires you can fit w/o rubbing, instead installing strut lift spacers or a bit longer springs and closer to stock diameter tires?
As for dry/wet stability/performance on tarmac .. those are points i also don't care much in winter. Car will still handle good enough driving within legal limits , and possibly still will be more stable then most normal family cars or SUVs. I simply can hoon/push a bit less on roads in good state. I can afford give up some grip when it's plentiful. I want to maximize grip when it's scarce.
That would require modifying the suspension which is not what I want to do. Ill focus on the getting the the taller and narrower tire to give me the additional edge I need.
As for the lateral stability concerns I agree with you. The car should be find under normal speed limits.

Thank you for your help.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:45 AM   #256
dpaqu

Drives: 2018 Gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traffic View Post
That would require modifying the suspension which is not what I want to do. Ill focus on the getting the the taller and narrower tire to give me the additional edge I need.
As for the lateral stability concerns I agree with you. The car should be find under normal speed limits.

Thank you for your help.
So do 195/65/16 fit?
dpaqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #257
Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
So do 195/65/16 fit?
Im not sure.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #258
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
I've just fitted the Michelin X-Ice 3 to my stock wheels.

So far, so good. A bit of wheel slip in the wet on cold starts. I'll be back with more useful content when we get some snow and/or colder weather. I think some of the slip may have been due to the sheer volume of tyre lube used to mount them.

edit - cold rain and plastic crosswalk stripes = engagement of TC.

Last edited by atomicalex; 11-07-2018 at 08:53 AM.
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #259
BierMeister

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
Tire: Michelin Xice3
Size: 215/45/17 on stock Performance Pack rims
Driver: Spirited? I hit redline several times a day and generally push the car pretty hard on public roads. No track days though.

These winter tires have been great over the past few months. I had read a number of reviews which said that these would be closer to an all season tire than the blizzaks. After going through a few inches of snow and ice, I can say that you don't need anything that's more of a "snow tire" than these if you live in the tri state area. Grip levels on dry roads were just as good as the stock primacys. My only gripe is that they dramatically took away from the car's steering feel. Probably because the tread is so high.
BierMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:02 AM   #260
churchx

BierMeister: all proper winter and all-season tires will numb steering feel. Alternative is only to compromise their main purpose of providing more grip on ice/snow and in general when cold. Just live with that, generic trait of all winter tires. Softer rubber, more sipes, small thread patches. They all are for extra winter grip, and they all are making steering feel worse. Sometimes people also use in winter higher profile narrower tires, which also worsens feel, but i guess to less extent then rubber compound and thread pattern/size.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #261
drjazzenstein

Drives: Pumpkin Spice FR-S
Pirelli Sottozero 3 - 205/50R17

Great traction on deep snow and wet roads when new, better than many other snow tires I've used. However as they wore down they became almost useless in snow deeper than 4-5 inches. I ended up replacing them when they had around 6/32", which seems early to me.

For reference, my gravel driveway rises 8' at between a 0.1 and 0.35 grade around a 90 degree bend and requires a running start of at least 8-10mph for any vehicle except a locking 4x4. These tires were able to get me up every time but struggled as they wore down.

I don't recommend these tires tbh, unless you experience more wet/slushy roads than deep snow or don't mind replacing them early.
drjazzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM   #262
churchx

You do know that winter tires work well with deeper thread left then summers may? Here locally state even legally require for summers to have minimum 1.5mm and winters minimum 4mm thread grooves left ..
If that's minimum somewhat allowed, i wouldn't expect wonders from it at such wear. Especially as grip of most tires in general is far from new once worn past first 1/3rd.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #263
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've had Hakkapaliita's on my car for a couple of years now and was blown away by the grip when they were new. Last winter not so much. They still look great and have visually enough thread but I will be replacing them coming winter for sure.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 AM   #264
WolfWings

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium, Blue
Garage
Thumbs up

Tire: Vredestein Quatrac 5
Size: 205/55R16
Location: Kansas City -> I-70 + I-15 through Colorado into Irvine, and Kansas City -> I-80 through Wyoming into San Jose
Driver: Spirited driver. Grew up in the California mountains above the one-mile mark so used to snow, and rear-wheel drive. Porsche 944, a 70's Ford pickup truck, gravel/dirt roads, etc. I've also autocrossed in the past in various cars.

Quatrac 5 Impressions:
Despite running head-long into the massive blizzard in Colorado on November 11th/12th that shut down swaths of I-70, I never had any issues. Across Kansas in that same blizzard with 60+ mph winds the tires still had plenty of grip and never had any slipping issues.

Later in January when I was heading home from San Jose I ran into ANOTHER blizzard in Wyoming this time that shut down all of I-80, so I ended up waiting for them to re-open the highway. I hadn't noticed any traction issues then either.

In both cases I actually had to disable traction control at a couple of gas stations that had deeply piled muck over packed ice so I could let the tires spin a little to get moving, TCS's throttle-killing is a hair too aggressive.

At this time after 12k miles (11k racked up in four long multi-day highway trips, rotation every 6k miles) both tires are down to 8/32's from the original 10/32's, and come with a 55k treadwear warranty so they're pretty much dead on track.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #265
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Do you recommend: Nokian 205/55R16 91H WR SNOWPROOF / or Nokian in general?
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #266
Chy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
Tire: Vredestein Quatrac 5
Size: 205/55R16
Location: Kansas City -> I-70 + I-15 through Colorado into Irvine, and Kansas City -> I-80 through Wyoming into San Jose
Driver: Spirited driver. Grew up in the California mountains above the one-mile mark so used to snow, and rear-wheel drive. Porsche 944, a 70's Ford pickup truck, gravel/dirt roads, etc. I've also autocrossed in the past in various cars.

Quatrac 5 Impressions:
Despite running head-long into the massive blizzard in Colorado on November 11th/12th that shut down swaths of I-70, I never had any issues. Across Kansas in that same blizzard with 60+ mph winds the tires still had plenty of grip and never had any slipping issues.

Later in January when I was heading home from San Jose I ran into ANOTHER blizzard in Wyoming this time that shut down all of I-80, so I ended up waiting for them to re-open the highway. I hadn't noticed any traction issues then either.

In both cases I actually had to disable traction control at a couple of gas stations that had deeply piled muck over packed ice so I could let the tires spin a little to get moving, TCS's throttle-killing is a hair too aggressive.

At this time after 12k miles (11k racked up in four long multi-day highway trips, rotation every 6k miles) both tires are down to 8/32's from the original 10/32's, and come with a 55k treadwear warranty so they're pretty much dead on track.
Ok, so these "All Weather" Tires are very interesting.

Take a look at these TireRack results in the snow/ice:

All Weather Tires (such as Quatrac 5)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...r.jsp?ttid=231

Winter Tires (Blizzaks, etc.)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...r.jsp?ttid=193

Also, All Seasons in the snow/ice:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...r.jsp?ttid=201

It seems like the All Weather Tires could be an excellent option for year round use in places that get low amounts of snow and ice?
Chy is offline   Reply With Quote