follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #4187
blu-frs

Drives: scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
vacuum T

Can anyone show how the vacuum t is installed on this system??
blu-frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #4188
Helios

Drives: 2014 Red Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-frs View Post
Can anyone show how the vacuum t is installed on this system??
Here you go.
Attached Images

Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #4189
blu-frs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Here you go.
Thanks! Could you (or anyone) tell me how to prime the oil? Its says unplug fuel injectors im having trouble even finding them..
Old 09-12-2018, 01:23 AM   #4190
Olson1288

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-frs View Post
Thanks! Could you (or anyone) tell me how to prime the oil? Its says unplug fuel injectors im having trouble even finding them..
Your fuel injectors are under the two black covers in the engine bay. You can actually see one of the covers in the picture above, right behind the oil fill cap. There is another on the opposite side of the engine and if I remember correctly they are just two 10mm bolts. Remove those and you'll see your fuel rails + injectors and should be able to unplug them
Olson1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #4191
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson1288 View Post
Thanks for the reply man. It seems that the new kits do indeed come with 30mm pulleys so hopefully there will be no issues there.

the main problem is proper belt tension which people are having hard time setting.

the original 20mm kit had too small pulleys which put more stress on the 20mm belt. KW revised the pulleys and things got better. My belt 20mm belt lasted 2.5 yrs which for me is about 25K miles.

the 30mm belt obliviously gives even more tolerance on incorrectly set tension and lasts longer.

the kit is good, no regrets.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #4192
Olson1288

So I pulled the trigger and bought this kit.. Brand new and my belt is giving off a crazy whine, and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I've checked the tension multiple times and it's set correctly to the specified tolerance using the Gates app. Checked lines, pulleys, piping, basically anything I can think of. Belt is not rubbing on anything.

I tried to loosen the belt up a bit just for the heck of it, but my tensioner pulley is giving me issues. I have to loosen the tensioner pulley in order to drive the tension bolt in, however it does not drive in nearly as far as what kraftwerks calls for. My tensioner bolt is currently pretty much all the way out, but the belt is still tight. Do I need to play around with sliding the pulley closer to the left side and then tightening it down? The belt seems to come too tight when I tighten the pulley back down, so I end up backing the tension screw back out.. They just kind of seem to be fighting each other. I'm going to try and loosen the pulley back up, slide it far left and tighten the tension bolt in to ~50 hz, because I know when I tighten the pulley back up now it is going to pull my belt even tighter, hopefully to the normal range-ish.

There is also no specified torque for this pulley in any revision of the install manual, not that I would be able to get a socket on the back of it while it's mounted anyway. Only way to access it currently is by removing the upper SC bracket and using an angled 14mm wrench to loosen it.

Has anyone had similar issues or possibly knows a better process to tension this? Or any other reason as to why my kit is currently sounding the way it does? I've already contacted Kraftwerks, still waiting for a response.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MutK1RuCx4&t=1s[/ame]
Old 10-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #4193
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
So I pulled the trigger and bought this kit.. Brand new and my belt is giving off a crazy whine, and I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I've checked the tension multiple times and it's set correctly to the specified tolerance using the Gates app. Checked lines, pulleys, piping, basically anything I can think of. Belt is not rubbing on anything.

I tried to loosen the belt up a bit just for the heck of it, but my tensioner pulley is giving me issues. I have to loosen the tensioner pulley in order to drive the tension bolt in, however it does not drive in nearly as far as what kraftwerks calls for. My tensioner bolt is currently pretty much all the way out, but the belt is still tight. Do I need to play around with sliding the pulley closer to the left side and then tightening it down? The belt seems to come too tight when I tighten the pulley back down, so I end up backing the tension screw back out.. They just kind of seem to be fighting each other. I'm going to try and loosen the pulley back up, slide it far left and tighten the tension bolt in to ~50 hz, because I know when I tighten the pulley back up now it is going to pull my belt even tighter, hopefully to the normal range-ish.

There is also no specified torque for this pulley in any revision of the install manual, not that I would be able to get a socket on the back of it while it's mounted anyway. Only way to access it currently is by removing the upper SC bracket and using an angled 14mm wrench to loosen it.

Has anyone had similar issues or possibly knows a better process to tension this? Or any other reason as to why my kit is currently sounding the way it does? I've already contacted Kraftwerks, still waiting for a response.

if I remember correctly when I had this kit, yes you have to loosen the pulley as well as the tension screw.

if you just try to loosen the tensioning screw nothing will move. loosen the pulley first and then loosen the tension screw. The reason why your belt is whining is because it's too tight.

this is the main reason why this kit was such a big pain in the ass. The ONLY way to get a socket behind on the pulley is to not use a socket. Do yourself a favor and buy a set of ratcheting wrenches and fit the end of it on there and loosen it that way. Otherwise you will have to dismount the entire thing.

I've had this kit for almost 3 years and i'm not surprised kraftwerks still don't listen to their customers and that they need to implement an auto tensioner.

no matter how many times you tighten or loosen it, you will ALWAYS be constantly adjusting it due to changing weather. Colder weather will make the belt extra tight so you'll have to loosen it. Hotter weather will make the belt too loose so you'll have to tighten it.

The shittiest part about it is, if you don't catch the belt issue in time, your pulley bearings will go to shit causing your pulley to wobble. Once your pulleys start to wobble your donezo because the belt will have irregular wear causing it to snap.

good luck with your kw kit.

edit: ps. if you let your belt on too tight for too long, you'll snap the bolt that holds the gear adapter to mount on the crank shaft lol. There are also numerous reports of the input shaft breaking as well. Lastly, if you do all of those steps and loosen the belt up and the sc is still whining, you're double donezo. That typically means bad supercharger bearing, which means you having to send the unit into kraftwerks for them to send it to wherever the place is in europe for who knows how long of a turn around time.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Olson1288 (10-26-2018), Teseo (10-28-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 06:37 PM   #4194
Olson1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
if I remember correctly when I had this kit, yes you have to loosen the pulley as well as the tension screw.

if you just try to loosen the tensioning screw nothing will move. loosen the pulley first and then loosen the tension screw. The reason why your belt is whining is because it's too tight.

this is the main reason why this kit was such a big pain in the ass. The ONLY way to get a socket behind on the pulley is to not use a socket. Do yourself a favor and buy a set of ratcheting wrenches and fit the end of it on there and loosen it that way. Otherwise you will have to dismount the entire thing.

I've had this kit for almost 3 years and i'm not surprised kraftwerks still don't listen to their customers and that they need to implement an auto tensioner.

no matter how many times you tighten or loosen it, you will ALWAYS be constantly adjusting it due to changing weather. Colder weather will make the belt extra tight so you'll have to loosen it. Hotter weather will make the belt too loose so you'll have to tighten it.

The shittiest part about it is, if you don't catch the belt issue in time, your pulley bearings will go to shit causing your pulley to wobble. Once your pulleys start to wobble your donezo because the belt will have irregular wear causing it to snap.

good luck with your kw kit.

edit: ps. if you let your belt on too tight for too long, you'll snap the bolt that holds the gear adapter to mount on the crank shaft lol. There are also numerous reports of the input shaft breaking as well. Lastly, if you do all of those steps and loosen the belt up and the sc is still whining, you're double donezo. That typically means bad supercharger bearing, which means you having to send the unit into kraftwerks for them to send it to wherever the place is in europe for who knows how long of a turn around time.
Thanks for the reply man. It's crazy that they still haven't developed any sort of better tensioning system considering the mass amount of issues everyone has had.. I'm going to loosen the pulley again and see if I can get it sorted out. It's pretty demoralizing having a brand new kit and being excited to test it out, only to install it and have it be so loud that you don't even want to drive it.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #4195
Olson1288

So today after messing around with the belt and pulleys, it has not reduced the noise at all. I even loosened the belt to around 50hz, tried a tiny bit of gear oil on the pulleys for the heck of it but had no luck. As far as I can tell the system is working fine, the drive system is just.. loud. I’m starting to suspect a pulley bearing perhaps? Anyone else’s kit this noisy? Still waiting to hear back from KW
Old 10-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #4196
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
So today after messing around with the belt and pulleys, it has not reduced the noise at all. I even loosened the belt to around 50hz, tried a tiny bit of gear oil on the pulleys for the heck of it but had no luck. As far as I can tell the system is working fine, the drive system is just.. loud. I’m starting to suspect a pulley bearing perhaps? Anyone else’s kit this noisy? Still waiting to hear back from KW
man, that's a bummer. Sorry to hear that. I hope KW eventually replies to you. I remember getting the fastest response was getting lucky enough to get them on the phone. See if you can get them on the phone.

I didn't watch to your video until now, and if it's THAT noisy especially if you've already loosened the pulleys and messed the the tension, you definitely have a bad bearing....... but I'll let KW determine that for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Olson1288 (10-29-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #4197
j.F.c.R.a.S

Drives: rx8. frs.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Finally after 4 years with the system, my belt has finally taken enough beating. Recently started drifting the car, so not surprised this happened. However , since I have yet to replace the belt I’m wondering if there is an easy way to swap the belt...any have a write up or instructions on how?
j.F.c.R.a.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:59 PM   #4198
blu-frs

When installing my supercharger kit and then getting to the vacuum t, i cut too far up and cut out a small white piece that was in the hose. It seems to only let air go one way. Does anyone know which way this would go in and also i have no boost. Could this be the issue?

https://imgur.com/a/lm89E75

Last edited by blu-frs; 11-01-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Posting link
Old 11-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #4199
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.F.c.R.a.S View Post
Finally after 4 years with the system, my belt has finally taken enough beating. Recently started drifting the car, so not surprised this happened. However , since I have yet to replace the belt I’m wondering if there is an easy way to swap the belt...any have a write up or instructions on how?
the fact that i've broken my belt over 5 times in the course of 2 years tracking with this. the short answer is no. there is no easy way. You basically have to remove the intake coupler on the super charger and possibly remove the coupler that exits the supercharger. remove intake pipe that goes into throttle body, and remove the allen head bolts that hold the entire assembly in place. once you have the allen head blts removed you can kinda just let it fall and lean up against your bumper. throw the belt on the crank last. good luck.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #4200
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
contemplating between this kit and edelbrock for DD purposes and the heavenly TQ add.

have they fixed the tensioner issues on the newer versions of the kit?
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote