follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

View Poll Results: What should be my next purchase?
Coilovers 12 54.55%
Wheels 8 36.36%
Short Shifter & Wing 1 4.55%
HID Headlights, Smoked Tail Lights & Brake/Reverse Light 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 09-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
Echiwa

Drives: 2016 FRS Ultramarine E8H
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Echiwa 86 Build Begins

Not too long ago (May '16) I purchased my 2016 Scion FRS in Ultramarine Blue E8H.
I had always wanted this model since it's original unveil.
Now that I have my (attainable) dream car, it's time to start building.
Modding and tuning cars has always been something I've wanted to do.
Now that I have the perfect car to work on, it's time to break loose.
(With this being my first build, if anything won't work with the build, please let me know and assist. Thanks!)

First Wave: Exhaust
-Borla UEL Headers (Installed)
-Borla Cat Delete Overpipe/Frontpipe (Replaced)
-Tomei Expreme Overpipe (Installed)
-HKS Dual Resonated Frontpipe (Installed)
-HKS Legamax Cat-Back (Installed)
-Cusco HD Exhaust Hangers (Installed)

Second Wave: Intake & Tune
-aFe Takeda Intake-Dry (Installed)
-Vishnu OpenFlash Tablet (Tuned)
-OLM OBD II Bluetooth Adapter (In Use)

Entry Update 9/8/2016

The Borla UEL Headers as well as Cat Delete OP/FP have been purchased and awaiting arrival. The Tommy Kaira CP is still on standby.

Entry Update 9/15/2016

The headers and OP/FP have arrived. Pictures will be uploaded soon of the unboxing and what not. Personally excited to start working on my FRS probably tomorrow. Should have the parts installed and complete for the weekend.

Entry Update 9/19/2016

The headers and OP/FP have been installed. The headers was an easy install and had great fitment. On the opposite side of the spectrum are the OP/FP. They had terrible fitment and overall terrible time installing these 2 pieces. Also, I won't be uploading pictures or videos because all I have is my phone and I could not get any good footage. Plus I am not satisfied with the current state of my car. Two exhaust leaks: the slip fit joint between OP to FP as well as the weird FP to Stock MP fitment both leaking... FML

Entry Update 9/20/2016

New parts have been ordered to replace the OP and FP. To replace these parts will be a Tomei Expreme Overpipe, HKS Dual Resonated Frontpipe along with HKS Legamax Catback exhaust. The Tommy Kaira Centerpipe was removed from planned build on the account of price as well as unavailability. The second wave of parts will be included in this shipment which will contain: aFe Takeda Intake, Vishnu OpenFlash Tablet, and OLM OBD II Bluetooth Adapter.

Entry Update 9/22/2016

After roughly 100-150 miles of driving in approximately 3 days, the CEL has gone away for now. Hopefully, it stays away for the upcoming weekend so I can use my cruise control while driving from Valdosta, GA to Atlanta, GA. Then I will hopefully be installing all the incoming new parts as well as doing the OpenFlash Tablet tune.

Entry Update 9/23/2016

First off, my CEL came back on. Going to drive 2 hours without cruise control, oh well. On a good note, the first shipment of my latest purchase has arrived. I now have my Tomei OP, HKS FP, and HKS cat back. Looking around the calendar for a good time to do this. Definitely excited!

Entry Update 9/26/2016

The second part to my shipment has arrived. My intake, tuning items, and random interior items. Still trying to find a good time to start the install of everything. I might just do the intake then wait for a good weekend for the exhaust as well as tune.

Entry Update 9/27/2016

So I couldn't get to sleep after work... from about 3am to 4am I installed a new shifter grip and e-brake handle. I also used the OFT and dropped in an UEL 93 tune. Response seems better overall throughout the rpm ranges. Also I cleared my CEL using the OBD Bluetooth adapter with Torque application on my phone and verified via OFT. Everything is running great except my pesky exhaust leak. But that will soon be no more!

Entry Update 9/28/2016

After work today I figured I would go ahead and install the aFe Takeda CAI system. It was a really smooth and easy install. I decided to not install the noise generator shenanigans so that was also an easy removal. I used the plug from the outlet inside the glove box to close the hole through the firewall simply because it was 4am and I didn't want to wait to buy a plug. If I decide later that I want that outlet plugged, I'll go spend $2 on a plug to replace the firewall one. I only went for a 2 minute drive around the block so I didn't get much time to analyze the response or sound difference. I uploaded images of most/everything that I have purchased and received so far.

Entry Update 9/29/2016

After an extended night at work I finally got home at 1AM. As I got out of my car, I glanced at the new parts just sitting there... begging to be installed. I couldn't resist. I pulled an all nighter and fully installed every last piece. It was a pain getting the Borla OP/FP off as well as the stock exhaust hangers. I ended up cutting the hangers out and lubing the new Cusco ones before install to make it much easier. I finished roughly around 8AM. It was a long and exhausting (heh) night/morning under the car. But I was finally done! And had to be back to work in 4 hours. Didn't do the first start up after install before going to 'sleep'. I took a chance and waited until I had to go to work to do the initial start up. Luckily, everything was done as needed and there no exhaust leaks! Yay, finally no more exhaust in my cabin. Anyways, the start up went amazing... it sounds glorious. Nice and quiet during idle but a nice rumble when I get on the acceleration. I wanted it just like this so that when I start my car while my roommates/neighborhood is asleep, it wouldn't bother anyone. Perfection... and the HKS Legamax tips looking phenomenal on the FRS. A slight increase to throttle response could be noticed but I didn't get a lot of time to really tell the difference or even pay attention closely. I was too excited to finally be done. Now I can set my sights on the next install!

Last edited by Echiwa; 10-06-2016 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Edit
Echiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
Echiwa

Garage
If anyone is following this build or even slightly interested in it or just wants to vote, please take part in the poll at the top of the journal. Just getting some public input on what my next purchase will be between now and November. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Even if you aren't getting CEL currently, it's best you move a tune up in the priority list as running a UEL/majorly different exhaust system will sooner or later run you into error codes!

Also, get some pictures up!
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
dattran86
Driver

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Did you get new gaskets for the aftermarket header?
dattran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:33 AM   #5
Echiwa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba View Post
Even if you aren't getting CEL currently, it's best you move a tune up in the priority list as running a UEL/majorly different exhaust system will sooner or later run you into error codes!

Also, get some pictures up!
@Futaba: I do already have a CEL. Usually happens with all the aftermarket headers since the O2 sensors are moved a little bit. I have the OpenFlash Tablet on the way, will that not be enough to take care of the problem?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:34 AM   #6
Echiwa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattran86 View Post
Did you get new gaskets for the aftermarket header?
@dattran86: When I bought the Borla UEL headers from FT86SpeedFactory, they had the option to have GrimSpeed header gaskets purchased with them, so yes I did.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:31 AM   #7
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echiwa View Post
@Futaba: I do already have a CEL. Usually happens with all the aftermarket headers since the O2 sensors are moved a little bit. I have the OpenFlash Tablet on the way, will that not be enough to take care of the problem?
It should as long as your configurations available, if not you should be able to get in touch with them and ask them for a tune more suited to your setup, once that's flashed you'll be good to go with no CEL
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
Echiwa

Garage
So far in the poll, the coilovers are in the lead for next parts purchased! Please keep the votes coming in. I'm looking to early November time frame for the next purchase so less than two weeks remaining! Thanks for the support and votes.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:23 AM   #9
Echiwa

Garage
BORLA UEL HEADERS

BORLA UEL HEADERS, OVERPIPE, FRONTPIPE

NEW EXHAUST LINE UP

HKS LEGAMAX SIZE TIP COMPARISON

HKS MIDPIPE

HKS FRONTPIPE

TOMEI EXPREME OVERPIPE

AFE TAKEDA COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM

CARBON FIBER FINISH E-BRAKE HANDLE WITH PERRIN DRIFT BUTTON

MISHIMOTO PISTOL GRIP SHIFT HANDLE

VISHNU OPENFLASH TABLET

Last edited by Echiwa; 09-28-2016 at 04:30 AM. Reason: Images Uploaded
Old 09-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #10
Echiwa

Garage
Only 3 days remaining on the poll!! Please cast your votes for the next parts to be purchased!!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:16 AM   #11
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hmm, hard to make recommendations when you haven't mentioned what you're trying to improve about the car or what you're building for. What are the things you're finding inadequate? Is the build mainly for show? Do you want to improve the driving dynamics/feel? Will it be driven hard in the canyons/autocross/track?

I certainly wouldn't recommend coilovers as the next mod even though it's leading the poll since you're on stock wheels and tires. However, HIDs I can easily recommend from a nighttime visibility standpoint.
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Coilover first, then wheels.
Btw which wheels you will buy?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
Echiwa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
Hmm, hard to make recommendations when you haven't mentioned what you're trying to improve about the car or what you're building for. What are the things you're finding inadequate? Is the build mainly for show? Do you want to improve the driving dynamics/feel? Will it be driven hard in the canyons/autocross/track?

I certainly wouldn't recommend coilovers as the next mod even though it's leading the poll since you're on stock wheels and tires. However, HIDs I can easily recommend from a nighttime visibility standpoint.
I don't really have a specific goal in mind honestly. Just doing what I like, making it overall enjoyable to drive as well as work on. I love doing the mechanical work for this car. I love driving it more and more as I add parts. I think maybe one day I'll turbo it and aim for 350ish HP, but until then it's just personal enjoyability.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #14
Echiwa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Coilover first, then wheels.
Btw which wheels you will buy?
I plan on getting black Gram Lights 57Xtreme 18x9.5 +40. Also, my coilovers are leaning towards HKS Hipermax IV GT's. Still a toss up on the coils but definitely a hard set on the Gram Lights. I've always wanted them since I started getting into cars.