follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
chris's fr-s
@theexquisite86

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
dealership problems

So heres my problem, ive read alot on here about people getting there oil changed at 1000 miles and finding metal flakes in their oil, so I called my delarship to see if I could get them to change it for me because I bought a 6 year 120,000 mile warranty and I figured why not let them change it for free , before I change it myself and invalidate my warranty.

So this service manager begins to explain how I would have to pay for the oil change because they can only change it every 6 mo/5,000mil, wich I would of been fine with paying, but then he goes on to tell me that if I read about the 1000mile oil problems on this forum they are total b.s. and its some pissed off guy who hates toyota or some s**t, he proceeds to tell me he isnt going to change it because its unnecessary and that ended our conversation.

So my question is should I just go ahead and change my oil my self and cancel this extended warranty ( maybe request my money backon the warranty) because there is a 1,000 mile problem or just ride out till I hit 5,000?
chris's fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
That problem you are speaking off, doesn't exist. Pay them to change the oil like you wanted or go somewhere else. Make sure they carry a filter beforehand.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
tawheed

Drives: '13 Sport Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Changing your oil on your own will not void your warranty. Especially considering the fact you're doing it early before the scheduled interval. If you didn't tell them you changed the oil they would never know.

You can also do your own maintenance and keep the warranty valid as long as you keep receipts for parts and logs for dates / mileage you performed the maintenance.
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tawheed For This Useful Post:
31katys (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just pay for it or do it yourself first time as soon as possible. Then after that let them do it every 5000 miles if it is free.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
chris's fr-s
@theexquisite86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed View Post
Changing your oil on your own will not void your warranty. Especially considering the fact you're doing it early before the scheduled interval. If you didn't tell them you changed the oil they would never know.

You can also do your own maintenance and keep the warranty valid as long as you keep receipts for parts and logs for dates / mileage you performed the maintenance.
Wouldnt they see a different filter and know if I didnt tell them, or just reuse the filter?

But I guess ill do the log book thing, I feel better doing my own basic maintenance anyway, some dealerships are shady.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Buying an extended warranty hasn't got a thing to do with changing the oil. At 1,000 miles I had my dealership change my oil and filter (first made sure they had the filter) and paid for it.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris's fr-s View Post
Wouldnt they see a different filter and know if I didnt tell them, or just reuse the filter?

But I guess ill do the log book thing, I feel better doing my own basic maintenance anyway, some dealerships are shady.
Scratch an X in the top of your filter before you take it in. It will be very easy to tell if they changed the filter or not.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
tawheed

Drives: '13 Sport Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris's fr-s View Post

Just buy a factory filter?
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Wes B.
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Changing your own oil will not invalidate your warranty. If questions are asked about the filter, then just say that you had a certified mechanic do it from his personal shop.

I find it interesting that they refused to change your oil at 1,000 miles. Isn't the customer always right?
Wes B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Razz

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Complain to the General Manager.

This is piss poor service.

You are the customer.

They are suppose to change the oil.

You said extended warrenty, but nothing about free oil changes.

If you have free oil changes, then they have to honor the contract period.

They should have said: We will be glad to change your oil but the next oil change can not be done for an addtional 5k miles.

Usually the contract says: X number of oil changes over X period of time.

If your contract does not say that it is shit.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Razz For This Useful Post:
chris's fr-s (11-28-2012), Wes B. (11-28-2012)
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
StOpNG0x

Drives: Firestorm MT FR-S
I also bought the maintenance warranty at my dealership for an additional 3 years (since Toyota gives you the first 2 years free) and I was curious to know if my dealership would reject to change my oil at 1,000 miles as well... I haven't contacted them to ask yet, but now that I've heard someone already getting hassled about it I can prepare to fight back on the response I might get when I ask.

Random question, can we cancel the maintainence warranties we bought? I honestly didn't read into any cancellation terms when I purchased it but it would be nice to know you can cancel it if I'm given any shit for asking if an oil changed can be performed at 1,000 miles.

Dealerships are pathetic.
StOpNG0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Is it 5000 miles interval or 7500 miles interval? I believe the dealership told me it's 7500 miles interval. BTW, I'm one of those who doesn't do early oil change.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
chris's fr-s
@theexquisite86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz View Post
Complain to the General Manager.

This is piss poor service.

You are the customer.

They are suppose to change the oil.

You said extended warrenty, but nothing about free oil changes.

If you have free oil changes, then they have to honor the contract period.

They should have said: We will be glad to change your oil but the next oil change can not be done for an addtional 5k miles.
Usually the contract says: X number of oil changes over X period of time.

If your contract does not say that it is shit.

Yes free oil changes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
chris's fr-s
@theexquisite86

Quote:
Originally Posted by StOpNG0x View Post
I also bought the maintenance warranty at my dealership for an additional 3 years (since Toyota gives you the first 2 years free) and I was curious to know if my dealership would reject to change my oil at 1,000 miles as well... I haven't contacted them to ask yet, but now that I've heard someone already getting hassled about it I can prepare to fight back on the response I might get when I ask.

Random question, can we cancel the maintainence warranties we bought? I honestly didn't read into any cancellation terms when I purchased it but it would be nice to know you can cancel it if I'm given any shit for asking if an oil changed can be performed at 1,000 miles.

Dealerships are pathetic.
Let us know when you do contact them