follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2023, 08:23 PM   #1
KiK

Drives: 19’ GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Steering Wheel Controls Part Number

Hello guys,
Since I've owned my 19' 86 it has been a pet peeve of mine that whenever someone calls me while I'm on my car I have to use my freshly detailed touch screen to answer decline calls.

Therefore I'm looking to swap the Toyota Steering Control Columns from one from a BRZ with all the left hand side buttons populated.

Someone mentioned in this forum that if you have an aftermarket radio in 17+ car it is pretty much plug and play but I can't find the part number from Subaru of those buttons.

Could anyone help me out with this?

Regards,
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:17 PM   #2
Luns

Drives: 2017 GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Someone mentioned in this forum that if you have an aftermarket radio in 17+ car it is pretty much plug and play but I can't find the part number from Subaru of those buttons.

This image is from the catalog page for mechanical steering parts. The fig 830 refers to the figure where the switches are listed. Switches are listed under the Electrical category.

For US Market 2019 Subaru,

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_20...10-830-05.html

Two part numbers are given: 83154CA030 and 83154A100. I don't know the exact difference between the two parts, but with an aftermarket head unit where you can program an arbitrary mapping between resistance and function, I'd expect that you can use either one. Part numbers in Portugal may be different.
Luns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luns For This Useful Post:
KiK (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 09:40 PM   #3
KiK

Drives: 19’ GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luns View Post
This image is from the catalog page for mechanical steering parts. The fig 830 refers to the figure where the switches are listed. Switches are listed under the Electrical category.

For US Market 2019 Subaru,

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_20...10-830-05.html

Two part numbers are given: 83154CA030 and 83154A100. I don't know the exact difference between the two parts, but with an aftermarket head unit where you can program an arbitrary mapping between resistance and function, I'd expect that you can use either one. Part numbers in Portugal may be different.

Thanks a lot! It is my first time using subaru part finder. I will actually be ordering the part directly from a subaru dealer to a US Address. Subaru does not have representation in Portugal anymore, unfortunately.

I hope there is some kind of mistake here, the goddam buttons cost 200 USD?

I only need the switches on the left side but the part number only points to the right hand side piece, but it looks like the part number actually refers to a bunch of stuff: Cruise Control Switch, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, Steering Wheel Transmission Shift Control Switch, Cruise Control Release Switch.

Which seems highly wasteful and honestly if the 232 USD price is the only to get this then I will have to think about another solution.
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:46 AM   #4
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
A wrecking yard would probably be your best bet.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 02:41 PM   #5
Luns

Drives: 2017 GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Thanks a lot! It is my first time using subaru part finder. I will actually be ordering the part directly from a subaru dealer to a US Address. Subaru does not have representation in Portugal anymore, unfortunately.

I hope there is some kind of mistake here, the goddam buttons cost 200 USD?

I only need the switches on the left side but the part number only points to the right hand side piece, but it looks like the part number actually refers to a bunch of stuff: Cruise Control Switch, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, Steering Wheel Transmission Shift Control Switch, Cruise Control Release Switch.

Which seems highly wasteful and honestly if the 232 USD price is the only to get this then I will have to think about another solution.
Yes, the new dealer prices for these things are generally expensive. The switches, wiring harness, and bezel are all considered one part. I'm not sure about the AT paddle switches, but the cruise control attaches to the same harness, so I think it being in the part description is on account of it being the cruise control switch's wire harness and not including the cruise control switch itself.

If the new part price is too much for you (it was for me) you can explore used options. I'd bought a used Subaru steering wheel from eBay complete with all switches for less than dealer price for this part alone. It's a matter of luck what's available when you look, but if you spend enough time looking you may find a good deal.
Luns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:56 PM   #6
my10x

Drives: 20 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think I have a set of nice 2018 steering wheel buttons, but I will check, and post the part numbers and photos. Let me check my parts bin and post back here later.
my10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:43 AM   #7
my10x

Drives: 20 Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If this is what you're looking for, contact via PM and we can work out the details :
Attached Images

my10x is offline   Reply With Quote