follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #43
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Before I started doing HPDEs with my S2000 I called my insurance agent (Traveler's Insurance) and explained what I was planning to do. They said I was covered as long as it was an untimed event. Naturally I document conversations like this

Hey ft86Fan where do you live in Basking Ridge? I spent 4 of my childhood years growing up just off Mt. Airy Road. Loved that town.
Hi WolfpackS2k, I'm in The Hills. It is a great town. I just recently sold my 08 S2000 CR. Great car. Now looking forward to the FRS.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #44
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I'm sure the same principle applies from my motorcycle track days to car track days as well.

I've attended track days before at the following tracks; Willow Springs, Button Willow, California Speedway, Laguna Seca, Miller Motorsports, Pahrump (Spring Mountain).

From what I recall, as long as it's not a "timed event" then you are ok, both warranty and insurance.

Toyota/Scion seems to target that type of marketing. As ironic as it might sound, the Tacoma commerials had a lot of off-roading and jumping indicating it can be used off road. On the Tacoma forums, guys were jumping them and breaking upper control arms, blowing the shocks etc. I haven't seen any of those Tacoma commericals lately...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
Oh, they stopped that a long time ago. Almost all insurance companies now say that as long as your car is on the track, it is not covered. Doesn't matter if its called High Performance Driving Education (HPDE) or that its not timed. If you want insurance for track days you'll have to buy it separately from insurance companies that offers it. Usually by the days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I use Lockton Affinity (http://hpdeins.locktonaffinity.com/Default.aspx?cID=1) to provide participants of the ITR Expo the ability to purchase insurance.

A quick quote from them with an agreed value of $25,000 shows the following:
Single-event policy: $167
6-event policy: $836
9-event policy: $1024
12-event policy: $1186
15-event policy: $1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I've also heard a lot of bad publicity about Subaru with their STIs. Someone on a local car forum here in NC blew his 2008 STI's engine while still under warranty. He hadn't been abusing it and Subaru accused him of running the engine with a low oil level. After countless attempts he had to pay for the engine replacement himself. Stuff like this (and the stories about SCCA Autox'ing voiding warranties) makes me want to stay away from Subarus.

Before I started doing HPDEs with my S2000 I called my insurance agent (Traveler's Insurance) and explained what I was planning to do. They said I was covered as long as it was an untimed event. Naturally I document conversations like this

As to dealerships and honoring warranties its my understanding that tracking a stock vehicle should not be grounds for voiding it. Especially a SPORTS car, which is designed to play with. Obviously if you are not a good driver then abuse is possible but in my opinion driving a vehicle hard around a track for a weekend is not abuse. This statement stands with the understanding that the only modifications you are making for the track are what's needed, like track only brake pads, stickier (but not R comp) tires and possibly brake cooling ducts if needed. My S2000 is no longer under factory warranty but is still under an extended one, and I've talked candidly with a service manager about attending track days.
Wolfpack, does your insurance company still cover your S2K? I posted that up as well was informed that they no longer cover it.

I plan to take mine to track to drive it, not an actual SCCA event. I can take my motorcycle in street trim, prep it to pass tech, attend a track day and know that AAA will cover any damage if I crashed it on the track. I don't see why it would be different for an automobile since it's not a race.