follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2017, 10:48 PM   #43
Tokay444
Anti stance.

Drives: 17 White 860. RCE Tarmac 2. RE-71RS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The nannies are downright dangerous.
When I command the car to do one thing and it decides it's going to do something else instead, I draw a very large line.
Tokay444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokay444 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:49 PM   #44
SubieRumble
RWD Snob

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FRS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I almost responded earlier today. You're never going to convince this kind of sanctimonious bullshit. It's up to the individual. I fucking hate the nannies. they're sloppy, slow, and sneaky. They literally intrude on my own rhythm on ice and hydroplaning. All these bulllshit features that try to be substitutes for personal responsibility just sicken me.
Similar to what I say about fast drivers. I'd rather drivers who go too fast(but predictable) who pay 100% attention to the road over drivers that are slow but paying less attention to the road(texting?). Can't tell you how many times I've almost been sideswiped buy these idiots...
Old 02-09-2017, 10:56 PM   #45
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieRumble View Post
Similar to what I say about fast drivers. I'd rather drivers who go too fast(but predictable) who pay 100% attention to the road over drivers that are slow but paying less attention to the road(texting?). Can't tell you how many times I've almost been sideswiped buy these idiots...
Probably as many as I have. The old biker rules hold true for everyone. Keep your head on a swivel, pretend you're invisible, and work to maintain that out.

Great to know you're out there with me.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #46
Viper8

Drives: Scion FRS
The throttle deadband zone (no engine response) from no throttle input to approx 1/4-1/2" of throttle input annoys me too. @steve99 or @shiv - Is it possible to tune the ECU with OFT so that fuel will begin to be fed to the engine earlier at less throttle input (shorten the deadband)?
Viper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:50 AM   #47
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper8 View Post
The throttle deadband zone (no engine response) from no throttle input to approx 1/4-1/2" of throttle input annoys me too. @steve99 or @shiv - Is it possible to tune the ECU with OFT so that fuel will begin to be fed to the engine earlier at less throttle input (shorten the deadband)?
Yes, change the throttle mapping.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Viper8 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #48
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper8 View Post

as @Kodename47 said you can modify throttle mapping tables.

but you may also have load limit issue if its oft tune some tunes had load limits set to about 1.6 at all rpm this caused bogging at low rpm if you gave it a lot of throttle
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Viper8 (02-10-2018)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #49
Toyota John
Calle Atun

Drives: 13 FRS, 93 Mr2, 85 ae86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have logged the difference in speed between peddle and throttle opening a bunch of times now with different throttle mapping. you can clearly feel and see the delay in opening and closing of the throttle. I am not sure if the speed is limited in software with a yet undefined table or the limit of speed of the throttle motor. I guess it could also be the speed in possessing can-bus signals? I would like to hear from anyone who has installed an aftermarket ECU and if there was a change in throttle speed. I recently drove a Porsche Boxster S which also has Throttle By Wire and in was 90% better but a pre can-bus car. I also drove a new STI RA and the throttle was quicker. I am willing to bet this was done of FRS/BRZ to reduce tip-in knock as there are a bunch of tables in this car to reduce timing on peddle movement as well as to reduce emissions during shifting. I wish I knew how to define tables in open source so I could see if there are missing throttle tables. Who knows how to do this?
Toyota John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #50
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota John View Post
I have logged the difference in speed between peddle and throttle opening a bunch of times now with different throttle mapping. you can clearly feel and see the delay in opening and closing of the throttle. I am not sure if the speed is limited in software with a yet undefined table or the limit of speed of the throttle motor. I guess it could also be the speed in possessing can-bus signals? I would like to hear from anyone who has installed an aftermarket ECU and if there was a change in throttle speed. I recently drove a Porsche Boxster S which also has Throttle By Wire and in was 90% better but a pre can-bus car. I also drove a new STI RA and the throttle was quicker. I am willing to bet this was done of FRS/BRZ to reduce tip-in knock as there are a bunch of tables in this car to reduce timing on peddle movement as well as to reduce emissions during shifting. I wish I knew how to define tables in open source so I could see if there are missing throttle tables. Who knows how to do this?
I still haven't gotten around to proving my theory about latency from VSC. Have you tried cutting it? As I stated here earlier, my butt swears that it interferes with throttle application even with the long press. I feel a distinct improvement when in pedal-dance mode.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #51
Mase123y

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Sorry to bring up an older topic but this is the same issue I seem to have. I have been running OFT Stage 1 for a few months now and the throttle response still seems sluggish at times. I was hoping that the OFT would fix the problem because I assumed everyone who runs the same stage 1 tune would have the same exact feeling car that I do but it seems not after reading these forums. I like the OFT because you can switch out different tunes. Would I need to get a custom tune at a shop? Someone who can use the OFT Rom Raider so I can keep using it.
Mase123y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #52
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase123y View Post
Sorry to bring up an older topic but this is the same issue I seem to have. I have been running OFT Stage 1 for a few months now and the throttle response still seems sluggish at times. I was hoping that the OFT would fix the problem because I assumed everyone who runs the same stage 1 tune would have the same exact feeling car that I do but it seems not after reading these forums. I like the OFT because you can switch out different tunes. Would I need to get a custom tune at a shop? Someone who can use the OFT Rom Raider so I can keep using it.
Have you tried the pedal dance?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #53
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Throttle Delay Fix.

I suspect part of the reason you don’t hear much bitching about DBW lag is most of the people who own a Twin are too young to have driven a cable throttle. There is a little lag but it’s WAY better than a lot of other DBW cars I’ve driven. The place I noticed it the most was on a blip right off idle. I don’t think it’s DBW lag though, I think it’s extreme knock correction that makes it stumble. 2017+ is even more aggressive with the TIR tables which makes the throttle even less responsive. I switched to E85 almost a year ago and I’m running the OFT E85 tune and the random dead peddle right off idle is completely gone. To me this sort of confirms it’s knock correction causing the dead pedal.

I’ve only tried the pedal dance a few times early in ownership of the car. Now that I have a good feel for the car I will give it a shot again to see if I notice a different in throttle response.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 PM   #54
Mase123y

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Have you tried the pedal dance?
Ive seen a few different mentions of a "pedal dance". Is it to reset the ecu learning? I havent seen one procedure that most people agree on.
Mase123y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:41 AM   #55
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Official procedure here in section 4.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:08 AM   #56
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase123y View Post
Ive seen a few different mentions of a "pedal dance". Is it to reset the ecu learning? I havent seen one procedure that most people agree on.
No, Pedal dance is for the VSC. I've seen a few ways to reset the pedal/throttle learning, but the general theory is:
-Have car ignition on but engine not running
-Press accelerator pedal fully a few times
-Start car and idle car for ~1 min (if warm, this can take seconds rather than 1 min)

It doesn't all have to be at once. The accelerator pedal pushing allows the ECU to get max/min values for the pedal sensor and throttle position sensors. Idling allows it to set up the idle airflow. That's all there is to it. 5/10/25 pushes of the pedal I've seen mentioned. I'm not sure why it matters. I do 10, 8 quick with 2 that I hold as hard as I can to finish. Never had an issue.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote