follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #4817
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
I love MSRC, but man, those turns just are just killer on cars for oil starvation, fuel starvation and tire wear.

When I was riding the 1.7 on my bike, one side of the tires looked new while the other side was down to about 25%. Next time I'm out there, I'm rotating tires every session.

edit: 2:26 is an awesome time at MSRC for the 3.1. You're flying!

I was running a 1:55.8x or so at ECR when a freaking PEN got stuck between the gas and firewall! On the last straight. 1:57.8 Luckily, it wasn't my brakes.

Thanks - It was the fastest I've run there! Consistent 2:29-2:30 range, and got in behind a few faster guys and just committed. I just wish it "counted". The AIM solo 2 doesn't have a "what would have been" display haha! Just (what I am sure will be) a speed line dropping off like a rock at the end of the lap - that still ended up being the fastest I've run there (pulling data when I get home - too tired last night after driving from cresson to sugar land)
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #4818
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post
Thanks - It was the fastest I've run there! Consistent 2:29-2:30 range, and got in behind a few faster guys and just committed. I just wish it "counted". The AIM solo 2 doesn't have a "what would have been" display haha! Just (what I am sure will be) a speed line dropping off like a rock at the end of the lap - that still ended up being the fastest I've run there (pulling data when I get home - too tired last night after driving from cresson to sugar land)
If you have the full lap, it think it's fair to say a "could have been" extrapolated via the predictive lap using just a few sectors is a pretty safe bet.

Some people break up a track into a million sectors to get an impossible theoretical time, which, IMO, is just dumb.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Joesurf79 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #4819
Joesurf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you have the full lap, it think it's fair to say a "could have been" extrapolated via the predictive lap using just a few sectors is a pretty safe bet.

Some people break up a track into a million sectors to get an impossible theoretical time, which, IMO, is just dumb.
Yeah, I'll post up a screen shot of the lap I just configured a page on the AiM to be the Predictive Lap time, and ran that all weekend. It's a pretty neat feature!

I wish I could explain how emotionally gut wrenching it was to see a previously thought impossible time on the AIM vanish due to fuel starvation, exiting THE LAST FREAKING CORNER - which happens to be a long 85+mph sweeper...

Having to immediately pit, get out of the car and jump into a student's car - I was a delirious mess for the first few corners...

Just have to get out there next time and do it again!

Last edited by Joesurf79; 11-05-2018 at 03:53 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-05-2018), GrandSport (11-05-2018), Jonsey (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #4820
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry for my ignorance, as I haven't been inside an 86 fuel tank, but would a HydraMat help the fuel starvation issues? Are they applicable to the 86 chassis/fuel system?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #4821
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
2:26 is getting quick. Nice job, Joe!

Quote:
*raises hand* - 5/8ths tank WITH the Velox flapper installed, on RC-1s with aero at MSRC = fuel starvation yesterday. Ruining a PB lap on the 3.1 configuration...

I am hoarse today - I was screaming in my helmet as I watched my AIM predicted lap grow from 2:26XXX to 2:28.15 as it coughed , bucked, surged, and coasted across the start finish. tombstone and then Big bend back to back running CCW guarantees fuel starve at the end of a session if I'm not going out with a full tank
Joesurf79 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #4822
Joesurf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
2:26 is getting quick. Nice job, Joe!
Thanks man! I'm playing hookey on 11/16 to an Apex event on a Friday. The wife only agreed if I agreed to leave as soon as I have a 2:27.3 or faster on aim and video !

I'm hoping for a short expensive trip !

Last edited by Joesurf79; 11-06-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #4823
Joesurf79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, as I haven't been inside an 86 fuel tank, but would a HydraMat help the fuel starvation issues? Are they applicable to the 86 chassis/fuel system?

Hmmm...I'm intrigued. I'll be investigating that stuff - you could for sure get it in the tank no sweat. Where to place and plumb in, that will be what I need to figure out.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #4824
ka-titties

Quote:
Hmmm...I'm intrigued. I'll be investigating that stuff - you could for sure get it in the tank no sweat. Where to place and plumb in, that will be what I need to figure out.
I did a little research on the fuel system this morning and noticed that the pump sits inside a surge tank. You would use the regular sock coming off the pump. I'd put one of these on the pickup for the sump on both the LH and RH sides of the tank.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #4825
Joesurf79

Quote:
I did a little research on the fuel system this morning and noticed that the pump sits inside a surge tank. You would use the regular sock coming off the pump. I'd put one of these on the pickup for the sump on both the LH and RH sides of the tank.

Looking at it a little at lunch, there is a hydramat that is a cross with the 3/8" female NPT port out on the end of one of the cross arms. Fit a 90 degree 3/8" NPT to 3/8" hose barb fitting into the Hydramat, then run a 3/8" fuel line to the inlet for the factory filter sock. Just have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the fuel pump basket.

Ordering parts is eminent...as long as there is room in the tank for all this to play nice with the other parts. Orienting the cross towards the center of the car pretty much ensures the sloshing fuel will get wicked up by the hydramat...
Old 11-06-2018, 04:35 PM   #4826
CSG Mike

Quote:

Unfortunately almost all the hydramats require a fitting, not a push-on.

I have a hydramat in my car and still get fuel starve under heavy fuel consumption load, but under a sip condition, I can literally run the tank dry. The issue is that the hydramat itself can't buffer enough fuel during a starve condition.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #4827
CSG Mike

Quote:
Looking at it a little at lunch, there is a hydramat that is a cross with the 3/8" female NPT port out on the end of one of the cross arms. Fit a 90 degree 3/8" NPT to 3/8" hose barb fitting into the Hydramat, then run a 3/8" fuel line to the inlet for the factory filter sock. Just have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the fuel pump basket.

Ordering parts is eminent...as long as there is room in the tank for all this to play nice with the other parts. Orienting the cross towards the center of the car pretty much ensures the sloshing fuel will get wicked up by the hydramat...
Unfortunately not a solution at this time

I have some other ideas that I'll be trying.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 PM   #4828
Joesurf79

Quote:
Unfortunately almost all the hydramats require a fitting, not a push-on.

I have a hydramat in my car and still get fuel starve under heavy fuel consumption load, but under a sip condition, I can literally run the tank dry. The issue is that the hydramat itself can't buffer enough fuel during a starve condition.
Which size / shape hydra mat? How is it oriented in the tank? Obviously the "volume" of the hydramat will affect its ability to buffer dry pump events.

A 3/8" NPT to hose barb fitting is an easy solution. If the hydramat can be made to touch both sides of the tank, AND 3/8" fuel line can reliably be affixed to the pump inlet, AND there is room for the whole shebang in tank - I'm optimistic it would work.

And like all ideas that are good on paper, it has to work, right?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #4829
CSG Mike

Quote:
Which size / shape hydra mat? How is it oriented in the tank? Obviously the "volume" of the hydramat will affect its ability to buffer dry pump events.

A 3/8" NPT to hose barb fitting is an easy solution. If the hydramat can be made to touch both sides of the tank, AND 3/8" fuel line can reliably be affixed to the pump inlet, AND there is room for the whole shebang in tank - I'm optimistic it would work.

And like all ideas that are good on paper, it has to work, right?
Unfortunately, there are some severe space constraints with our cars... but custom fittings would theoretically allow for a GIANT hydramat.

I haven't had time to do anything like that, yet.

I'm currently on dual 15"x3".

Ultimately, I think a in-tank surge tank solution is going to be the true answer.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #4830
ka-titties

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are some severe space constraints with our cars... but custom fittings would theoretically allow for a GIANT hydramat.

I haven't had time to do anything like that, yet.

I'm currently on dual 15"x3".

Ultimately, I think a in-tank surge tank solution is going to be the true answer.
Isn't the OEM fuel pump cradle a surge tank, though? Why is it so ineffective? I'm guessing the volume capacity is too low.

What if you made a hole in the bottom of the surge tank (rendering it useless) and ran a Y fitting off the pump with a 3/8 hose going to both sides of the saddle with a HydraMat on each end?
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-titties For This Useful Post:
Joesurf79 (11-09-2018)