follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #183
Mule
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: Toronto
Posts: 87
Thanks: 21
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDFWU 420 View Post
This was my first manual car. I told myself no way I'm going to get this car in an auto, it's just not right.. Took my friend to the dealership so he can drive my car home and learned to drive manual in that car 1-2 days later.



2 years later and NO RAGRETS!!!!!!! I FUCKING LOVE DRIVING THIS CAR AND JUST BANGING GEARS !!!!


Lol I love it - good for you man that took balls purchasing a manual when you didn't know how to drive it.

That's how you grow though - put yourself in an uncomfortable situation; now you've learned a whole new craft, awesome!

That's what it's all about - driving is an art, not a race, and you've learned a whole new dimension to this wonderful art we all love. Fuck yeah.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #184
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: "Olivia" my Firestorm 6AT FR-S
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 12,196
Thanks: 21,483
Thanked 11,716 Times in 5,763 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
[IMG] (Photos from Zeroto60times.com
Yes, I'm familiar with that one but you mentioned specifically Car and Driver as your source so that was what I was interested in seeing.

Zeroto60times is a good source, but they average together other sources to get their speeds and don't really indicate where they came from. The ones I referenced came directly from the C&D articles on the two cars.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #185
Mule
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: Toronto
Posts: 87
Thanks: 21
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yes, I'm familiar with that one but you mentioned specifically Car and Driver as your source so that was what I was interested in seeing.



Zeroto60times is a good source, but they average together other sources to get their speeds and don't really indicate where they came from. The ones I referenced came directly from the C&D articles on the two cars.


It's in this article - http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

1.7 seconds faster aka A LOT faster


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #186
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: "Olivia" my Firestorm 6AT FR-S
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 12,196
Thanks: 21,483
Thanked 11,716 Times in 5,763 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
It's in this article - http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

1.7 seconds faster aka A LOT faster


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting since in this one

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

They list it at 7.7.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:16 PM   #187
fierostetz
Senior Member
 
fierostetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: '87 Buick GN, '16 500 Abarth
Location: SoCalifornia
Posts: 104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 90 Times in 50 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Be real though, one's slow, the other is slower. Does it *really* matter? If someone says "the manual helps avoid the torque dip", that's real, useful feedback. A 0-60 time on a car that gets thoroughly dusted by minivans is irrelevant. If it allows someone to enjoy a car that would otherwise be unavailable to them, then it's entirely positive.
__________________
Past Rides: '87 Mazda 626 with junkyard turbo, '86 Fiero SE v8 swap, '87 Fiero GT v8 swap, '87 Grand National, '96 Nissan Maxima (s/c), '04 Dodge SRT-4, '08 VW Rabbit 5cyl, '10 VW Golf 5cyl.
Current: '87 Grand National '16 Fiat 500 Abarth (dumb, immature fun!!)
Shopping for a BRZ/'86 right now as an additional toy.

Last edited by fierostetz; 08-17-2017 at 01:31 PM.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fierostetz For This Useful Post:
davesrave (08-19-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #188
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 55,760
Thanks: 49,539
Thanked 77,666 Times in 35,153 Posts
Mentioned: 2033 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Lol I love it - good for you man that took balls purchasing a manual when you didn't know how to drive it.

That's how you grow though - put yourself in an uncomfortable situation; now you've learned a whole new craft, awesome!

That's what it's all about - driving is an art, not a race, and you've learned a whole new dimension to this wonderful art we all love. Fuck yeah.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My great grandmother, grandmother and mother all drove manuals almost exclusively. So did anybody else's if they are over 30. It didn't "take balls" for them to do it. Doesn't take anything to learn to drive a manual. It isn't magic or some special skill and sure as hell isn't a "craft".


Driving is an art but do all artists use the same type of brush?
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
davesrave (08-19-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 01:46 PM   #189
Mule
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: Toronto
Posts: 87
Thanks: 21
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
Be real though, one's slow, the other is slower. Does it *really* matter? If someone says "the manual helps avoid the torque dip", that's real, useful feedback. A 0-60 time on a car that gets thoroughly dusted by minivans is irrelevant. If it allows someone to enjoy a car that would otherwise be unavailable to them, then it's entirely positive.


Of course. Assuming the driver is fluent using a manual though, a 1.7 second advantage (good point re: avoiding the torque dip) is a HUGE difference.

It could be the difference between winning or losing the drag race with that Honda Odessey lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #190
Mule
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: Toronto
Posts: 87
Thanks: 21
Thanked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Interesting since in this one



http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review



They list it at 7.7.


Meh, to your earlier point, I'm sure they tested a ton of twins under different conditions and there's many variables at play.

My only real takeaway is that MT obviously has superior launch control and the ability to avoid torque dip with more control. I could totally see the AT being quicker (and slower!) around any given track because of the same variables that caused C&D to get different 0-60 times.

Still think a MT is more 'spiritually aligned' with this car given it's a cheap, no frills car and the AT adds cost, weight and complexity but to each their own!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #191
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 55,760
Thanks: 49,539
Thanked 77,666 Times in 35,153 Posts
Mentioned: 2033 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
Be real though, one's slow, the other is slower. Does it *really* matter? If someone says "the manual helps avoid the torque dip", that's real, useful feedback. A 0-60 time on a car that gets thoroughly dusted by minivans is irrelevant. If it allows someone to enjoy a car that would otherwise be unavailable to them, then it's entirely positive.



Oh I hate that myth!
Please point out in the attached which minivans will "thoroughly dust" a twin. I see a very tiny group of top level (and very expensive) mini vans that may have a couple of inches on them in 0 to 60 but even they lose in the 1/4 mile.
http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/van/


If you are getting "thoroughly dusted by minivans" you just can't drive worth shit.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #192
fierostetz
Senior Member
 
fierostetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: '87 Buick GN, '16 500 Abarth
Location: SoCalifornia
Posts: 104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 90 Times in 50 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh I hate that myth!
Please point out in the attached which minivans will "thoroughly dust" a twin. I see a very tiny group of top level (and very expensive) mini vans that may have a couple of inches on them in 0 to 60 but even they lose in the 1/4 mile.
http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/van/


If you are getting "thoroughly dusted by minivans" you just can't drive worth shit.

Oh come on, I'm not going to scour the web to prove something to you, there's no burden of proof on me and I don't care enough to do so. Assuming average drivers in both, a minivan is going to win pretty consistently. An average driver isn't going to be throwing down magazine-or-better 0-60 sprints in a manual trans than a dead consistent v6 minivan. You can go compile a giant internet nerd list if you want to, but theres a vast delta between controlled-condition 0-60 times and real world ones. Pulling website specs and magazine racing isn't real world. Stop looking for fights. We're not talking about track surfaces prepped with VHT and professional drivers. We're in a world of 300hp camrys. Even more telling in a day-to-day scenario is going to be 0-30 times, which is really what you're going to hit in the distance across an intersection.

Heck, I've seen an automatic geo metro take the trophy at a bracket racing drag day. Dead consistent alllllll day with his 22 second quarter mile times. Every time he won everyone just looked at each other with disbelief... at the end of the day everyone was trying to get him to go out for a beer because it was ridiculous that this dude showed up in his DD metro and took home the pot.

In fact, thats a perk in favor of the automatic 86, it'll do the exact same 0-60 time over and over regardless of driver skill.
__________________
Past Rides: '87 Mazda 626 with junkyard turbo, '86 Fiero SE v8 swap, '87 Fiero GT v8 swap, '87 Grand National, '96 Nissan Maxima (s/c), '04 Dodge SRT-4, '08 VW Rabbit 5cyl, '10 VW Golf 5cyl.
Current: '87 Grand National '16 Fiat 500 Abarth (dumb, immature fun!!)
Shopping for a BRZ/'86 right now as an additional toy.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fierostetz For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #193
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 55,760
Thanks: 49,539
Thanked 77,666 Times in 35,153 Posts
Mentioned: 2033 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Of course. Assuming the driver is fluent using a manual though, a 1.7 second advantage (good point re: avoiding the torque dip) is a HUGE difference.

It could be the difference between winning or losing the drag race with that Honda Odessey lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Honda Odyssey LX 0-60 mph 7.7 | Quarter mile 15.8




2013 Scion FR-S (Manual) 0-60 mph 6.2 | Quarter mile 14.5
2013 Scion FR-S (Auto) 0-60 mph 7.9 | Quarter mile 15.9


Yep that $50K special edition Odessey can really teach even the AT a lesson with it's .2 second 0 to 60 and .1 second 1/4 mile. Why I bet it would have it's front bumper a good 1/2 ahead of the FRS bumper.


Bench racing by the numbers is so fun!
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-17-2017)
Old 08-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #194
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 55,760
Thanks: 49,539
Thanked 77,666 Times in 35,153 Posts
Mentioned: 2033 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
Oh come on, I'm not going to scour the web to prove something to you, there's no burden of proof on me and I don't care enough to do so. Assuming average drivers in both, a minivan is going to win pretty consistently. An average driver isn't going to be throwing down magazine-or-better 0-60 sprints in a manual trans than a dead consistent v6 minivan. You can go compile a giant internet nerd list if you want to, but theres a vast delta between controlled-condition 0-60 times and real world ones. Pulling website specs and magazine racing isn't real world. Stop looking for fights.

Heck, I've seen an automatic geo metro take the trophy at a bracket racing drag day. Dead consistent alllllll day with his 22 second quarter mile times.
Oh but we are playing with the set of numbers from one site here. Can't use them for one thing and throw them out when not convenient.
An average driver in a minivan isn't going to hit those numbers either. That is the whole point. If we want to say that the minivan numbers are consistent then we need to say the Twins ones are as well.
The numbers from the same site debunk this whole "minivans are faster" thing.
I am not "looking for fights" but will not sit and smile and nod in agreement to false statements either.


And that 300hp Camry 2017 Toyota Camry XSE V6 0-60 mph 6.1 | Quarter mile 14.5
Barely creeps ahead of the MT.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #195
fierostetz
Senior Member
 
fierostetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: '87 Buick GN, '16 500 Abarth
Location: SoCalifornia
Posts: 104
Thanks: 1
Thanked 90 Times in 50 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh but we are playing with the set of numbers from one site here. Can't use them for one thing and throw them out when not convenient.
An average driver in a minivan isn't going to hit those numbers either. That is the whole point. If we want to say that the minivan numbers are consistent then we need to say the Twins ones are as well.
The numbers from the same site debunk this whole "minivans are faster" thing.
I am not "looking for fights" but will not sit and smile and nod in agreement to false statements either.


And that 300hp Camry 2017 Toyota Camry XSE V6 0-60 mph 6.1 | Quarter mile 14.5
Barely creeps ahead of the MT.
Thats an MT, on a vht prepped surface with a professional driver.
Jeezus, stop looking for a fight.
__________________
Past Rides: '87 Mazda 626 with junkyard turbo, '86 Fiero SE v8 swap, '87 Fiero GT v8 swap, '87 Grand National, '96 Nissan Maxima (s/c), '04 Dodge SRT-4, '08 VW Rabbit 5cyl, '10 VW Golf 5cyl.
Current: '87 Grand National '16 Fiat 500 Abarth (dumb, immature fun!!)
Shopping for a BRZ/'86 right now as an additional toy.
fierostetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #196
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 55,760
Thanks: 49,539
Thanked 77,666 Times in 35,153 Posts
Mentioned: 2033 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierostetz View Post
Thats an MT, on a vht prepped surface with a professional driver.
Jeezus, stop looking for a fight.
And the minivans aren't?
How is it possible to say "those numbers don't count be these ones from the same source do"?
I repeat. Not "looking for a fight" but I disagree with your statements and will say so.
All data shows that most minivans are NOT faster and those that are have such a small advantage it almost is meaningless in real world driving.
Your Statement was "thoroughly dusted by minivans" and that is nothing but internet commenter myth.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-17-2017)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.