follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #15
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ACE
Old 02-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
Kestrel

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
ACE

I'm waiting for them to announce their new products before I buy anything.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #17
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I'm waiting for them to announce their new products before I buy anything.
The new product lineup will add to the existing lineup; nothing will be superseded
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #18
Kestrel

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The new product lineup will add to the existing lineup; nothing will be superseded

I just sent you guys an email about a Type A/350.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #19
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
If you're spending that cash, why not go with the Holy Grail of headers and get the Ace? It's a known quantity and has proven super gains
A very late reply on this point, but the counterargument is that it's difficult to find a medium between absolute power gains and sound quality.

One problem so far is the lack of a decent front pipe setup that allows for complete freedom in choosing catless header w/ any exhaust of your choice. If you don't care about sound, that's fine, but many (young) people nowadays live in apartment or condo complexes that ban loud noises that a catless header may bring.

I am trying to help find solutions. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103125

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #20
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
A very late reply on this point, but the counterargument is that it's difficult to find a medium between absolute power gains and sound quality.

One problem so far is the lack of a decent front pipe setup that allows for complete freedom in choosing catless header w/ any exhaust of your choice. If you don't care about sound, that's fine, but many (young) people nowadays live in apartment or condo complexes that ban loud noises that a catless header may bring.

I am trying to help find solutions. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103125

-alex
And where did OP mention sound in the original post?

Good for you that you're trying to find out sound levels and shit. I don't really care to be honest. The way to go about that is get whatever you want from the header to FP, then get a quiet catback.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #21
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:

Good for you that you're trying to find out sound levels and shit. I don't really care to be honest. The way to go about that is get whatever you want from the header to FP, then get a quiet catback.
^ this!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #22
mav1178

Quote:

No one said he mentioned sound, but we're not building all-out track cars.

His original question was why there was so little information. The cost is one reason... but again, absolute power gains is not everything.

As for your point on quiet catbacks, I'll be testing some combinations of quiet catbacks that would sound horrible w/ catless headers.

Source: I used to have a quiet catback until I put the Berk front pipe on the car. With a stock header.

-alex
Mr.Impreza (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #23
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
No one said he mentioned sound, but we're not building all-out track cars.

His original question was why there was so little information. The cost is one reason... but again, absolute power gains is not everything.

As for your point on quiet catbacks, I'll be testing some combinations of quiet catbacks that would sound horrible w/ catless headers.

Source: I used to have a quiet catback until I put the Berk front pipe on the car. With a stock header.

-alex
What's your point here? I don't get why or how you came to these conclusions.

All I said was going with a known quantity is probably better than something unknown.

Sure, we aren't building all out track cars, or chasing every last HP/Tq. But, if you're spending the same kind of money as the "best" header on the market, why the hell wouldn't you go with that?

I truly do not give a flying fuck about the point you're making. Coming up with a "counter argument" about something that wasn't even mentioned in the first place. By all means, carry on with your sound testing. Myself, and many others will continue to buy the parts that we want to, and make sacrifices to have them.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #24
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
After reading through the compilation threads and using the handy dandy search button I could not find information on Apexi's header/over pipe/front pipe kit. (Part #149-T014J) Has anyone used it? Does it actually exist? For the price it seems like something I wouldn't mind experimenting with but there has to be a reason I haven't found so much as a youtube video of it in action.

Quote:
If you're spending that cash, why not go with the Holy Grail of headers and get the Ace? It's a known quantity and has proven super gains
since Cole doesn't give a flying fuck about this, I just realized why the Apex'i header costs so much.

The entire header is certified as street legal in Japan. By that, I mean they have subjected both the ZC6 and ZN6 chassis for emissions testing. Each kit comes with the certificate as tested for both cars. Just spent 10 minutes carefully reading the instructions that it is supplied with...

The kit comes with an O2 extension, so there is an O2 sensor before AND after the catalytic converter on the front pipe. A secondary wideband O2 bung is welded on the header and a plug is supplied.

Obviously this does not apply to US market nor do most people that want to be unrestricted by header options, but it is definitely different.

As for what is different about this vs Ace: this header is certified 100% for street use in Japan, bolt-on as-is without any need for ECU tune. The Ace header is not, primarily because there is no before/after catalytic placement for the O2 sensor and that will trigger an ECU fault code.

To each their own.

-alex
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Kestrel (03-19-2016), Mr.Impreza (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #25
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So there is chance for this header to be one that should never trigger CEL?
edit
Hmm, from googled up pics and specs i somewhat doubt that single HF cat in frontpipe will be sufficient and won't confuse stock tune for CELs to never happen. So wondering what is included in that certification.

Last edited by churchx; 03-18-2016 at 04:55 PM.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #26
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
So there is chance for this header to be one that should never trigger CEL?
edit
Hmm, from googled up pics and specs i somewhat doubt that single HF cat in frontpipe will be sufficient and won't confuse stock tune for CELs to never happen. So wondering what is included in that certification.
the cat in the front pipe does nothing in regards to triggering the CEL. the CEL only triggers because the computer reads that the rear O2 sensor in the header is reading the same as the front O2 sensor, thus making the ECU think that the cat in the header failed. at least, that is how I understand it. the ECU has no idea about how well the 2nd cat (in the front pipe) works since there is no way to measure it due to no O2 sensor in the front pipe.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #27
mav1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
the cat in the front pipe does nothing in regards to triggering the CEL. the CEL only triggers because the computer reads that the rear O2 sensor in the header is reading the same as the front O2 sensor, thus making the ECU think that the cat in the header failed. at least, that is how I understand it. the ECU has no idea about how well the 2nd cat (in the front pipe) works since there is no way to measure it due to no O2 sensor in the front pipe.
I'll see if I can dig up photos in the near future, but basically the Apex'i header has a 4-2-1 design with the first O2 sensor immediately after the 2-1 collector.

The second O2 sensor is placed downstream after the cat, so it can still verify before/after.

I should note that the second O2 sensor placement has a much smaller opening, similar to those O2 extension inserts that cheat ECU detection. I am assuming that this cat is less efficient than factory and there is still a possibility of ECU code being triggered.

According to the copy of testing included with the header, the setup is about 2x as much emissions as factory at cold startup, and about 50% of factory emissions when warmed up.

-alex
Mr.Impreza (03-18-2016)