follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Yeah because you would have to make $300k to most likely have $30k to drop the cash to buy a car and not finance it. He is correct in that it makes best financial sense to pay cash for a car, but that is also true of the housing market. This article also isn't written for the automotive enthusiast who gets more enjoyment out of a car than just getting from point A to point B. It is like a hobby to us so we are willing to spend more of our income on it.
I skimmed around his site and he did make reference about being an automotive enthusiast. He used to flip cars pretty often. His cure was to go to a dealership and test drive the cars he wanted to have. That would be enough to satisfy his craving for a new car.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #16
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
False. My dad's LS460 was bought outright and he does not make $300K. It's just a matter of having liquidity.
Cool story bro. I have bought multiple new cars outright as well while never making $300k. There are obviously other ways of saving and making money.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #17
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
I skimmed around his site and he did make reference about being an automotive enthusiast. He used to flip cars pretty often. His cure was to go to a dealership and test drive the cars he wanted to have. That would be enough to satisfy his craving for a new car.
He must pull up in something nice to get test drives of exotics then.

Quote:
Cool story bro. I have bought multiple new cars outright as well while never making $300k. There are obviously other ways of saving and making money.
That was the point, Tutstein.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I go by the 40%/30% rule myself personally, never spend more than 40% of your gross yearly income on a car, as well as always have at least 30% downpayment.

That's pretty comfortable for me.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Flipping older and cheaper used cars is not my idea of an enthusiast. Just my idea of an entrepreneur.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #20
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
I have found that what you pull up in makes very little difference. It is the way you present yourself.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

That was the point, Tutstein.
Probably testing driving cars within reason, e.g., M3, Cayman, etc. I've never been turned down for a test drive, but I also haven't asked to test drive a 911.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
His cure was to go to a dealership and test drive the cars he wanted to have. That would be enough to satisfy his craving for a new car.
I don't have cravings for new cars; I have cravings for fun cars. And if a simple test drive is all it takes to satisfy his craving, he's not an enthusiast.

Quote:
Flipping older and cheaper used cars is not my idea of an enthusiast. Just my idea of an entrepreneur.
You don't want to restore a Nissan Sentra and try to sell it to a guy making $70K/year? What kind of enthusiast are you??

Quote:
Probably testing driving cars within reason, e.g., M3, Cayman, etc. I've never been turned down for a test drive, but I also haven't asked to test drive a 911.
You should; they're awesome. Even if you can't talk your way into a TTS, a simple 4 or 4S is still a blast.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #23
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
I've never been turned down for a test drive, but I also haven't asked to test drive a 911.
Don't lift bro.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #24
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
You don't want to restore a Nissan Sentra and try to sell it to a guy making $70K/year? What kind of enthusiast are you??
But I could be on a Texas show on TV.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I love how money threads always get people crazy. This whole "life is too short not to enjoy it" arguement is a joke. Live below your means, save, invest, prepare, THEN you will prosper, be set up for now and future, and will be able to buy that pretty toy without having to worry about the 1/10 rule.

IMHO there are too many young people fresh out of college, buying a new car because "they deserve it" and "YOLO." But these are the same people who won't invest in life insurance, or disability insurance because "I'm young and I don't need it," or "I'm perfectly healthy." It's rather ironic.

They are better off buying a cheap used car, establishing themselves, paying off their debt/loans, establishing a retirement plan (roths, 401k's etc), protecting themselves (insurance), and buying themselves their prettty new car later. Chances are you are going to live a decent amount…there will be time for the fun stuff later. Do it backwards and you get the joy of working for the rest of your life to pay for stuff you bought back in your 20's…..but hey, at least you had fun, right?
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #26
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have found that what you pull up in makes very little difference. It is the way you present yourself.
That's a part of it as well. If I'm going for a test drive of a luxury/premium marque, I try to dress in my work clothes so I blend in with their typical consumer; whereas I would normally look like a post-college thug.

Quote:
For Corvettes, M3/5, 911....I'm asking my dad to come along because he's their target market.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #27
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
I love how money threads always get people crazy. This whole "life is too short not to enjoy it" arguement is a joke. Live below your means, save, invest, prepare, THEN you will prosper, be set up for now and future, and will be able to buy that pretty toy without having to worry about the 1/10 rule.

IMHO there are too many young people fresh out of college, buying a new car because "they deserve it" and "YOLO." But these are the same people who won't invest in life insurance, or disability insurance because "I'm young and I don't need it," or "I'm perfectly healthy." It's rather ironic.

They are better off buying a cheap used car, establishing themselves, paying off their debt/loans, establishing a retirement plan (roths, 401k's etc), protecting themselves (insurance), and buying themselves their prettty new car later. Chances are you are going to live a decent amount…there will be time for the fun stuff later. Do it backwards and you get the joy of working for the rest of your life to pay for stuff you bought back in your 20's…..but hey, at least you had fun, right?
But doing Formula D in my FR-S when I am 70 years old won't exactly work out for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #28
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
That's a part of it as well. If I'm going for a test drive of a luxury/premium marque, I try to dress in my work clothes so I blend in with their typical consumer; whereas I would normally look like a post-college thug.
I wouldn't even say clothes make that big of a difference. I often show up in shorts and a tshirt on a Saturday in a buddy's cheaper car to go on test drives. It is kind of a hobby me and a couple buddies have. The type of salesman you are dealing with will make a huge difference as well. Some are enthusiasts and you can speak to them as such. Some only see sales, and you can speak to them as such.