follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #57
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Drives: 2013 Crystal Black Silica BRZ-L
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
Very nice. do you have a way of mesuring temps? Interested to see your R&D since you track.
My decision to get the oil cooler was based on track data between me and @Decay107...His oil temps recorded between 30-40 C lower than mine. Leaving Darren's yesterday my oil temps were considerable lower than normal running right around 80C the entire drive home before they hit up to 100C under normal driving. This is running Torque over bluetooth.

If the results weren't so drastic I wouldn't have gone with an oil cooler but with the tracking I do and the way I drive figured it was a good idea to not be running heat deteriorated oil through the engine all the time

Previous Cars: 1970 Chevelle 350 (crashed still have in CA), 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (sold)
thehapaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #58
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehapaone View Post
My decision to get the oil cooler was based on track data between me and @Decay107...His oil temps recorded between 30-40 C lower than mine. Leaving Darren's yesterday my oil temps were considerable lower than normal running right around 80C the entire drive home before they hit up to 100C under normal driving. This is running Torque over bluetooth.

If the results weren't so drastic I wouldn't have gone with an oil cooler but with the tracking I do and the way I drive figured it was a good idea to not be running heat deteriorated oil through the engine all the time
I totally agree. My oil never went above 190 with cooler with charger. W.o it's been sitting at 200-230. Mine will be going on once the car comes back from Perrin.

Good purchase.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #59
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
To bad I couldn't stay longer. Happy wife happy life! I was also dead tired.....

How did the install turn out?
Very ture indeed Happy Wife= Life is good
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #60
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Garage
Post Upgrades Pre Tune Review:

Overview:
All my NA upgrades have done some wonders for the driving experience of the car. Exhaust is a little droney for my taste now as the header really opened up the exhaust a bit and with no resonators the interior sounds like madness under load. The Apex Catback is also a little ricey on start and around the 3.5-4k mark but I don't really mind it since most of the time I have that nice Boxer rumble.

Header Back: @FT-86 SpeedFactory made a quality header that my butt dyno wants to say completely eliminates the torque dip but Saturday will provide an actual dyro result to verify or negate that observation. The Nameless catted front pipe works well to allow for more airflow, however, I wish I had a resonated version as with no resonator there is a lot of rasp when it is combined with my resonatorless catback. As for the Apex-i catback it looks amazing and people compliment on it all the time. With the looks put aside, it doesn't really work with the Driveway Labs diffuser I have. This is due to the central "muffler" I put that in quotes cause it's more of glasspack it doesn't really muffle anything and I'm pretty convinced its just there for looks, which is huge and pushes the differ down a little causing it to collect a little water and resonate like mad.

Intake:
This section will be short and sweet since it's only two parts. The @PERRIN CAI and Intake tube probably don't do anything performance wise, but they sound amazing when paired together. I didn't go big MAF on the intake cause I wasn't planning on getting a tune right away and on top of that the tuner I am going with isn't a fan of the CAI to begin with. So if you want to hear the intake of the car after deleting the stupid inlet hose to cabin this is probably the way to go. If you want performance I'm pretty sure my perrin drop in filter did the same performance wise as this.

Exterior Parts:
This is only going to cover two parts which are my Driveway Labs Diffuser and my Ebay side window visors. The Driveway Labs diffuser is a prototype version so take my review with a grain of sand as it may not fully apply to the production version. The Diffuser does it's purpose very well at the track the back of the car felt a lot more planted then when I ran without it, on top of an actual function it looks awesome although at times a little too in your face (this is a ver 1). My biggest complaint is that the prototype had no height adjustment for the sway bar mointing point but the production looks like it does so this probably won't apply to people that purchase one now I'm sure @Wonderbar could touch on the differences between mine and what you can now buy. The side window visors are nice when they stay stuck to the car which isn't very long. Mine are peeling up all over the place and I will be re 3ming them this summer, hopefully that solves the problem.

Suspension?:
I put a question mark here as it's not really anything huge in terms of mods to this. The Eibach pro-kits are a nice cosmetic modification but I wouldn't consider them an upgrade over stock springs. After having them on for around 5000 miles the ride quality keeps getting worse and worse. What started out nearly oem in terms of ride quality has slowly started deteriorating. Luckily I'll have the funds soon to upgrade to some coilovers but until then I can endure the sub optimal ride quality. Yes I know coilovers probably won't be better but at least I can adjust them and they will provide better handling for the track. I also have the @password:jdm strut tower/power brace set and it not only looks good but stiffens up the front end nicely, they do weigh a good amount so if you are looking to shave weight you may want to go another way. The weight is ok with me as the funstionality is noticable.

Interior:
The interior can't really be reviewed from a function standpoint but I'll thow in a section anyway. With the full JDM blackout the interior comes together a lot better with my @JPM Coachworks dash. I like not having all the silver in the interior and the blackout is perfect for my taste. The ghetto rigged multicolored LED footwell lighting looks good and I can change it to fit my mood which is nice.

Brakes:
This is all the rest of the random stuff I've done that doesn't fit into a category (yet). The Perrin master cylinder brace has been great makes heavy braking feel more solid and I haven't been scared to slam on that pedal at the track (didn't run without it so sorry no reference but DD). I'll have more to add to this next time I review my parts as I have DBA T2 rotors and Hawk HPS pads waiting to be installed

Wheels and Tires:
The forgestar f14s are good looking wheels although for the lead time and quality it may not be worth it. Granted I got my tires mounted at Les Schaub (NEVER AGAIN) but one of my wheels got bent while they were mounting the tires and another has the powder coat chipping on the inside surface and my car is only at 6700 miles with only about 3000 on the wheels. Haven't gone to forgestar yet but if the chipping continues I may have to, maybe @ModBargains can help here. The Federal tires on my wheels are a great drift/hard tire even at 18x9 I can brake the rear end loose without much effort and the tires grip hard when they need to. Overall satisfied with the wheel tire combo regardless of the hiccups with the wheels.

Overall:
There are still may areas for improvements and they will come in due time. there hasn't been a mod that I regretted which is a win in itself. Can't wait to get my car on the dyno and get the real results that the performace upgrades have provided.

tl:dr much parts, such racecar, no read

Previous Cars: 1970 Chevelle 350 (crashed still have in CA), 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (sold)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehapaone For This Useful Post:
FT-86 SpeedFactory (04-06-2014), Wonderbar (04-04-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:41 PM   #61
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Garage
And post tune numbers thanks @Drift-Office

Gained about 10 HP after all my mods...thousands of dollars and the tune nets the same HP. Love the feel and responsiveness of the car now driving it home was a blast excepts for the few rainy area where I couldn't even see 2 feet in front of me

The Following User Says Thank You to thehapaone For This Useful Post:
Drift-Office (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #62
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
And post tune numbers thanks @Drift-Office

Gained about 10 HP after all my mods...thousands of dollars and the tune nets the same HP. Love the feel and responsiveness of the car now driving it home was a blast excepts for the few rainy area where I couldn't even see 2 feet in front of me

How was the drive home? And thanks for the donuts!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #63
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift-Office View Post
How was the drive home? And thanks for the donuts!

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC
it was awesome when I could actually step on it...there were just way to many places where the rain was coming down too hard to go too fast. The pedal just makes the car go now which I love gotta get used to more power at the push of the pedal as I was sliding it around 90% of the turns I took

Drift-Office (04-06-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 02:27 AM   #64
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Garage
Haven't posted in here for a while and a little has changed since the last time I updated...Currently running a Perrin 2.5in exhaust thanks to @Chen and he is running my Apex-i.

Just purchased some JPM coachworks goodies from @Jason@DSG (they probably don't know it yet cause I went through the website) to go with my dash panels will update what they are later...in the meantime take a guess it's 3 pieces.

Still saving up for some coilovers but had to buy something small to tide me over in the meantime.

Also have had my DBA rotors and Hawk pads on for a little while and the braking is greatly improved in a dd situation much more bite can't wait to get it on the track to test them further...Other than that no real news been enjoying burning the rubber off my rear tires but they take it like a champ

Jason@DSG (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 04:29 AM   #65
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
soundsclips pls lol
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #66
Jason@DSG

Drives: 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Haven't posted in here for a while and a little has changed since the last time I updated...Currently running a Perrin 2.5in exhaust thanks to @Chen and he is running my Apex-i.

Just purchased some JPM coachworks goodies from @Jason@DSG (they probably don't know it yet cause I went through the website) to go with my dash panels will update what they are later...in the meantime take a guess it's 3 pieces.

Still saving up for some coilovers but had to buy something small to tide me over in the meantime.

Also have had my DBA rotors and Hawk pads on for a little while and the braking is greatly improved in a dd situation much more bite can't wait to get it on the track to test them further...Other than that no real news been enjoying burning the rubber off my rear tires but they take it like a champ
I definitely saw that Cheers bud, thanks for choosing DSG!

Just as an FYI, JPM has to make these so it'll take a little bit and I believe the ETA is for the end of the month. I'll keep you updated as the info comes in.
Jason@DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #67
Jason@DSG

Drives: 1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Car looks awesome by the way, love the black and wheel combo
Jason@DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason@DSG For This Useful Post:
thehapaone (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #68
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@DSG View Post
I definitely saw that Cheers bud, thanks for choosing DSG!

Just as an FYI, JPM has to make these so it'll take a little bit and I believe the ETA is for the end of the month. I'll keep you updated as the info comes in.
yeah no problem I was expecting some lead time...thanks for the update

Jason@DSG (05-20-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 AM   #69
thehapaone
Wasian Ninja

Garage
welp Apex-i catback is sold...now just need to decide if I want the 3" or 2.5" Perrin resonated catback @Drift-Office any advice? I ran with a 2.5" resonated for a few weeks and liked it but a little deeper/throatier wouldn't bother me

Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #70
Drift-Office

Drives: AE86 / FRS / FC3S / GC8 / S14 / R32
Thanked 1,431 Times in 372 Posts
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
welp Apex-i catback is sold...now just need to decide if I want the 3" or 2.5" Perrin resonated catback @Drift-Office any advice? I ran with a 2.5" resonated for a few weeks and liked it but a little deeper/throatier wouldn't bother me

Interesting that you should say that - another customer who has a 3 inch Perrin (unresonated) is thinking of stepping down to a 2.5 inch. LMK if you're interested.

Bob @ Drift-Office, LLC

P.S. Sorry my mailbox is full, that's what happens when you leave for a month I suppose. Email me!
Drift-Office is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drift-Office For This Useful Post:
asphaltfrs2014 (04-23-2015)