follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
lanemccall_75
Member
 
lanemccall_75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyper Blue
Location: Germany
Posts: 11
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Upgrading to 2017 BRZ headlights

I have the '16 BRZ Hyper Blue which unfortunately got in an accident and the body shop has agreed to go ahead and replace the front bumper, fog lights, and headlights with the new updated 2017 parts. Somebody in a FB group said it's not a direct swap and the shop is going to have to do some fairly extensive rewiring/re-pinning the harnesses and the DRL and auto leveling are much different than our headlights. Does anybody have input for this upgrade? I'm pretty sure the body shop already ordered the lights or they're about too and I want to make sure it's nothing too complicated. Please include any part numbers or information you have about this topic. Thank you.
lanemccall_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 50,350
Thanks: 44,946
Thanked 69,190 Times in 31,368 Posts
Mentioned: 1856 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanemccall_75 View Post
I have the '16 BRZ Hyper Blue which unfortunately got in an accident and the body shop has agreed to go ahead and replace the front bumper, fog lights, and headlights with the new updated 2017 parts. Somebody in a FB group said it's not a direct swap and the shop is going to have to do some fairly extensive rewiring/re-pinning the harnesses and the DRL and auto leveling are much different than our headlights. Does anybody have input for this upgrade? I'm pretty sure the body shop already ordered the lights or they're about too and I want to make sure it's nothing too complicated. Please include any part numbers or information you have about this topic. Thank you.
This is a full bumper swap but the running light info is the same. Doesn't get much into the headlights themselves. There is a bit of work involved but this explains it quite well.


http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110963
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #3
NRXRaptor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: BRZ
Location: Mendocino County
Posts: 369
Thanks: 7
Thanked 94 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't think re pinning is going to be much of an issue. I have the Intec headlights on my 2016 and no repinning was done. Subispeed said they didn't have to do any repinning when they put them on their 2017 gt86. I asked. If there is repinning to be done it shouldn't be hard to do for someone experienced with it. I had the drl bar rewired to come on with the low beams and that took no more than 10 minutes for the guys to do (I can't into electricity). The only repinning I think they would have to do would be to splice the blue drl wire from the car into the drl wire on the 2017 headlights

I'm honestly not sure what all the fuss is about with the headlight leveling motor as I never messed with it on my OEM headlights. If the Intec ones have leveling motors I never bothered to get them to work, as there is a manual adjustment in the back. I imagine that there is a manual adjustment in the back of the OEM headlights as well
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
Devin11498
Member
 
Devin11498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Drives: 2013 Subaru Brz Limited
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 38
Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why not just get the spec d tuning headlights? Im sure they are cheaper than the new 2017 headlights and the install is easy. The DRL on them is also very cool and nicer than the stock 2017 in my opinion. Check em out.

Spec D Headlights:
https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Projec...ing+headlights
Devin11498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #5
NRXRaptor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: BRZ
Location: Mendocino County
Posts: 369
Thanks: 7
Thanked 94 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin11498 View Post
Why not just get the spec d tuning headlights? Im sure they are cheaper than the new 2017 headlights and the install is easy. The DRL on them is also very cool and nicer than the stock 2017 in my opinion. Check em out.

Spec D Headlights:
https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Projec...ing+headlights
The new 2017 lights are full LED though and are OEM quality. Also I think rip op
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 AM   #6
Brink
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ
Location: CA
Posts: 525
Thanks: 136
Thanked 300 Times in 189 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin11498 View Post
Why not just get the spec d tuning headlights? Im sure they are cheaper than the new 2017 headlights and the install is easy. The DRL on them is also very cool and nicer than the stock 2017 in my opinion. Check em out.

Spec D Headlights:
https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Projec...ing+headlights
Looks like a cheap knockoff version of the '17 OEM lights. And that turn signal...wtf.
Brink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
Devin11498
Member
 
Devin11498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Drives: 2013 Subaru Brz Limited
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 38
Thanks: 23
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Looks like a cheap knockoff version of the '17 OEM lights. And that turn signal...wtf.
Just a thought. I would look at some pictures of them on cars because they look a lot better than the stock 17 drl. I dont think they look like a nockoff what so ever.

Spec D:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...0VyPGegRwmE0M:

Stock 17'
https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...xyNl2VWGWA7vM:
Devin11498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
Aipex8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 69
Thanked 56 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I admit I haven't seen any of the after market lights in person, but from pictures the LEDs look small and not very bright. If you can take a picture in a completely dark room and see the individual LEDs, I can't imagine they'd be bright enough to be seen on a sunny day. See a pic of my OEM signal LEDs in a garage with all the lights on and it just looks like a bar of bright amber light (side markers converted to side repeaters in this pic with VLEDS high visibility amber bulbs):

Aipex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #9
brzgabriel47
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Drives: 17' WRB BRZ Premium
Location: Hemet, CA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you mind if I pm you for info on how you wired your Side markets to turn signals? I want to do this to my 17 brz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aipex8 View Post
I admit I haven't seen any of the after market lights in person, but from pictures the LEDs look small and not very bright. If you can take a picture in a completely dark room and see the individual LEDs, I can't imagine they'd be bright enough to be seen on a sunny day. See a pic of my OEM signal LEDs in a garage with all the lights on and it just looks like a bar of bright amber light (side markers converted to side repeaters in this pic with VLEDS high visibility amber bulbs):

brzgabriel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #10
Aipex8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 860 Special Edition
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 94
Thanks: 69
Thanked 56 Times in 34 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzgabriel47 View Post
Do you mind if I pm you for info on how you wired your Side markets to turn signals? I want to do this to my 17 brz.
Sure. In the meantime, here's the video I used to find which wires to tap (at about 5:03)

Aipex8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
1GiantTurtle
Space for Rent
 
1GiantTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 6MT ToyoBaru86ScionMonogram?
Location: Pacific Ocean/SoCal
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 1,133 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i've done the head light swap the re-pinning is not extensive the 17+ uses the same 8 pin connector u only need to re-pin the turn signal parking light and add the DRL

to the headlights on the BRZ the HI/low beams and ground u can leave alone.

Ive also swapped 17+ brz lights on to a base FRS now that was extensive
__________________
ToyoBaruScionGT86hachiRokuBRZMonogram
Instagram: 86turtle


Instagram: 86turtle
1GiantTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:20 PM   #12
norcalpb
Senior Member
 
norcalpb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limted
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 946
Thanks: 159
Thanked 215 Times in 162 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GiantTurtle View Post
i've done the head light swap the re-pinning is not extensive the 17+ uses the same 8 pin connector u only need to re-pin the turn signal parking light and add the DRL

to the headlights on the BRZ the HI/low beams and ground u can leave alone.

Ive also swapped 17+ brz lights on to a base FRS now that was extensive
How did the people like their swaps?

Iíve heard debates on whether the tech for entry level LED headlights is even there yet, and if HID is still the superior headlight technology.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 PM   #13
NRXRaptor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: BRZ
Location: Mendocino County
Posts: 369
Thanks: 7
Thanked 94 Times in 73 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
How did the people like their swaps?

Iíve heard debates on whether the tech for entry level LED headlights is even there yet, and if HID is still the superior headlight technology.
The intecs on my car are full LED and I personally prefer the bixenons on the 2016 BRZ for practicality. The intecs have a bitchin' audi style drl bar and sequential indicators, so trade offs. If the low beams take a crap I'll replace them with bixenons. I say take a test drive at dusk if you can because it's really personal preference
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 03:20 AM   #14
1GiantTurtle
Space for Rent
 
1GiantTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 6MT ToyoBaru86ScionMonogram?
Location: Pacific Ocean/SoCal
Posts: 1,052
Thanks: 1,000
Thanked 1,133 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
How did the people like their swaps?

I’ve heard debates on whether the tech for entry level LED headlights is even there yet, and if HID is still the superior headlight technology.
the people i did them for kinda care more fore the look than the output, "doing it for the gram" prob why people would put sped Ds on their cars with a tiny h1 hallogen

The Leds are great no noise and instant light, i do feel like the leds do glare a bit during poor weather conditions (rain/wet floor)
__________________
ToyoBaruScionGT86hachiRokuBRZMonogram
Instagram: 86turtle


Instagram: 86turtle
1GiantTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1GiantTurtle For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (05-18-2018)
 
Reply

Tags
2016, 2017, headlights, subaru brz, swap

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: 2017 OEM Tail Lights and Headlights zerobrz Want-To-Buy Requests 2 10-30-2017 01:34 PM
2017 86 Headlights to 2014 FR-S OEM HID Headlights Jollibee86 Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 2 08-26-2017 04:47 PM
Upgrading 2013 suspension to 2017. Parts needed? armstrom Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 0 07-21-2017 10:50 AM
2017 toyota 86 headlights fit a 2013 frs? DarkSideFRS Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 2 06-24-2017 04:03 PM
2017 Headlights and Bumper on '13-'16 BRZ Conversion mushyho Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 29 01-27-2017 02:39 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.