follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2016, 01:17 AM   #43
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good to see that MRT can't measure a piston size correctly. At least they are consistently horrible at everything. (for the Americans they alone are the Ecutek dealer in aus. Hence why across Australia we laugh at anyone locally with Ecutek. They do extremely shoddy work, expecially with tuning.)

Long story short. GTS/BRZ brakes fit the GT fine. You just transfer Calipers, Rotors and pads and you are done.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:11 AM   #44
jng

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
I have the entry level GT86 as well.

I have an Alcon BBK on now but when zi had the stock brakes on I ran Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear with SS lines and AP Racing 600 fluid. Brakes held up fine on the track performance wise. Very consistent feel, no real pad or fluid fade. The front rotors wore down pretty quick though.

Anyhow, I had to do the same research when trying to find the right pads for my car and I basically found that our cars use WRX brakes front and rear. Rears are unventilated but that doesn't seem to be such a big deal. For me it was the front brakes that took a real pounding.

I've listed the caliper/pad part numbers as well.

Brakes info:

FRONT- Subaru WRX 2008-2011
D929

Pic on my car:
http://db.tt/OxYWXYEr

REAR - Subaru WRX 2008-2011
D1114

Pic on my car:
http://db.tt/Xucf1m8z
Apologies for my layman understanding, but does having two same calipers as the '08-'11 WRX mean that a GRB STI Brembo swap can be done without any change in brake bias (in the "entry level" spec 86), vs. the GT version?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:59 AM   #45
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jng View Post
Apologies for my layman understanding, but does having two same calipers as the '08-'11 WRX mean that a GRB STI Brembo swap can be done without any change in brake bias (in the "entry level" spec 86), vs. the GT version?
Subaru has been using the same brembo front calipers for about a decade and they're a direct bolt on to the 86 regardless of spec/versions. The front mounting holes on the hub carriers are identical. Its the rear calipers that you'll need to make sure you get the '08+ models for direct bolt on without adaptors. As for brake bias, I'm sure you'd have read discussions about pros/cons and there are different opinions out there, but I can only offer my personal opinion as I've done the full STI brembo swap myself.

On street use, brakes feel strong with none of the "shit...too much front bias" effect whatsoever. Front pads wore evenly too. Can't say much about prolonged use/abuse at the tracks though....but if you visit the tracks very frequently these "OEM" brembo brakes aren't as good as say aftermarket AP or Alcon setups anyways
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:05 AM   #46
Fizz
Senior Addict

Quote:
By the way you can't really just bolt on the wrx brakes and expect the brake bias to be similar....because they're not. Theoretically you'd get more front bias when used on the 86 due to differences in chassis balance and other factors. The wrx has a heavier front end for instance. So to counter this I ran rear pads which were 1 step more aggressive than the fronts. No issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fizz For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #47
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
Bringing this back to life as just did a GT86 with GTS front rotor upgrade.

When doing the swap I happened to measure the caliper pistons on both to find that the base GT runs bigger 43mm pistons than the GTS 40mm.

Why Subaru would do this is beyond me but figured that they should be better than the GTS brakes with the bigger pistons and gts rotors .

In general, bigger pistons are better. Pressure in the brake fluid is measured in force per area, therefore the more piston area you have exposed to the fluid the more force is exerted onto the pad/disc.

However, it is also important how far the pistons are placed from the center of the wheel. Are the GTS pistons farther from the center or they have same distance with the ones in GT?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #48
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Are you sure on bigger pistons bit? I always thought that it's relative master cylinder area vs pistons area, so per same brake pedal travel imho with bigger pistons you'll get less pistons&pads travel/less braking. as with bigger diameter there is more volume for brake fluid, hence less piston travel per same incoming oil volume.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:39 AM   #49
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I believe the argument is correct. The idea is to maximize the pistons area and at the same time place the pistons as farther as possible from the center of the brake disk (i.e. the wheel). That's why in expensive cars you have very big disks and many small pistons (4-pistons, 6-pistons calipers, etc.) in the outer area of the disk. You cannot place a big piston in the outer area, so you have to divide the total piston area in smaller pieces. Overall, the farther away from the center then the better braking power. You can imagine it as a lever ...
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #50
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest86 View Post
Good to see that MRT can't measure a piston size correctly. At least they are consistently horrible at everything. (for the Americans they alone are the Ecutek dealer in aus. Hence why across Australia we laugh at anyone locally with Ecutek. They do extremely shoddy work, expecially with tuning.)
I just had to google this.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15690
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #51
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Thats one of many. Let alone the amount of stuff we discuss on. CLub facebook pages. I love the one where after daniel died they wanted to charge her storage after they had blown up a stock and 2-3 built engines wigh basically zero milage and no track duty at all. Their idea of tuning is load a map and check the afrs. Theyre a joke frankly
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Northwest86 For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #52
Fizz
Senior Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Are the GTS pistons farther from the center or they have same distance with the ones in GT?
Correct....the GTS calipers sit further away from the center of axle (front rotor size 276mm vs 294mm)

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1265631
nikitopo (06-21-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #53
makinen

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
If GT spec calipers have larger pistons, would it be better to use GT caliper with GTS bracket?
I have been using that combination to skip brake fluid work without knowing piston differences.
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #54
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
If GT spec calipers have larger pistons, would it be better to use GT caliper with GTS bracket?
I have been using that combination to skip brake fluid work without knowing piston differences.
That is exactly what I did used GT calipers with GTS brackets and discs as was going to put the GTS calipers on and then found that the pistons on the GT were 3mm bigger .
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #55
jng

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Any Aussies / Kiwis that did the GRB ('08 - '11) STI Brembo swap on the base model 86 rear brakes able to drop me a PM? This would be the version with the stock solid (non-ventilated) rear discs. Have a couple questions regarding the ability to direct bolt on the rear calipers onto the knuckle without a need for any brackets.

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #56
Fizz
Senior Addict

Quote:
Any Aussies / Kiwis that did the GRB ('08 - '11) STI Brembo swap on the base model 86 rear brakes able to drop me a PM? This would be the version with the stock solid (non-ventilated) rear discs. Have a couple questions regarding the ability to direct bolt on the rear calipers onto the knuckle without a need for any brackets.

Thanks.
Me....at least I used to before I took them off. The 08+ rear brembo's are direct bolt on. No brackets required. The mounting holes are identical on the GT and GTS so it's irrelevant

jng (07-01-2016)