follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2014, 12:50 AM   #673
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I got my TRD cold air intake installed on my 2015 FR-S earlier this evening. First and foremost, the 2013-14 intake is 100% compatible with the 2015 model. I found no differences whatsoever. I mention this because Scion does not list this intake as an accessory for the current model year. No matter. It works just fine.

After I got it in, naturally I went for a test drive. Not far from my house is a limited access toll road with a speed limit of 75 that in turn connects to another toll road with a speed limit of 80. With the entrance ramp free of other cars, I decided to plant my foot to the firewall. Wow, what a nice surprise. Lots of low end torque and great acceleration compared to the stock air intake. I noticed that I had to shift much quicker than before because the RPMs were building up much faster. Also, for whatever reason, the warning lights for over-revs at 7k rmp and the electronic governor (limiting power above 7 k) were no longer functioning. So I had to watch the redline on the tach rather than relying on the idiot lights on the dashboard.

I reached 75 quickly, while only in fourth gear, and then got another nice power surge going into fifth which shot me up to nearly 90. Not wanting a ticket, I decided to keep it under 80, but the car felt as if it wanted to go considerably faster than that. Anyway, I am completely happy with the TRD intake and recommend it highly for those that want to keep their warranty in force. I am sure that there are other terrific CAI's out there, probably even better ones, but since 99% of my driving is in traffic, it is plenty good enough to suit my needs. Also, I got a good deal from a Toyota dealer in California, who sold it for $349 with free shipping. Can't go wrong with that price.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #674
cslntuee

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
I got my TRD cold air intake installed on my 2015 FR-S earlier this evening. First and foremost, the 2013-14 intake is 100% compatible with the 2015 model. I found no differences whatsoever. I mention this because Scion does not list this intake as an accessory for the current model year. No matter. It works just fine.

After I got it in, naturally I went for a test drive. Not far from my house is a limited access toll road with a speed limit of 75 that in turn connects to another toll road with a speed limit of 80. With the entrance ramp free of other cars, I decided to plant my foot to the firewall. Wow, what a nice surprise. Lots of low end torque and great acceleration compared to the stock air intake. I noticed that I had to shift much quicker than before because the RPMs were building up much faster. Also, for whatever reason, the warning lights for over-revs at 7k rmp and the electronic governor (limiting power above 7 k) were no longer functioning. So I had to watch the redline on the tach rather than relying on the idiot lights on the dashboard.

I reached 75 quickly, while only in fourth gear, and then got another nice power surge going into fifth which shot me up to nearly 90. Not wanting a ticket, I decided to keep it under 80, but the car felt as if it wanted to go considerably faster than that. Anyway, I am completely happy with the TRD intake and recommend it highly for those that want to keep their warranty in force. I am sure that there are other terrific CAI's out there, probably even better ones, but since 99% of my driving is in traffic, it is plenty good enough to suit my needs. Also, I got a good deal from a Toyota dealer in California, who sold it for $349 with free shipping. Can't go wrong with that price.

Did you know why Scion take out the TRD intake from the
2015 FRS accessory page?
http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S2015/a...wAll&view=grid

I worried there is any design flaw from this product.
Thanks
cslntuee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #675
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslntuee View Post
Did you know why Scion take out the TRD intake from the
2015 FRS accessory page?
http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S2015/a...wAll&view=grid

I worried there is any design flaw from this product.
Thanks

I have had my TRD intake (self installed) for over a year now and no problems. If there was something flawed with it I feel it would have presented itself by now.

FTR I love mine. Gets rid of the stupid sound tube and looks great. Don't even care if there is no extra HP from it.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
cslntuee (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #676
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ive had my TRD intake for over a year and loving it. Sometimes I wonder if putting on a different intake will make the car faster, but since Ill debating of going turbo next year, ive decided to leave it as is. I clean the air filter every oil change. Easy to take off, clean it, and slap it back on. The check engine light sometimes goes on, but after a day, it goes away.
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #677
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I don't know why Toyota didn't list the TRD CAI but I suspect that sales were not as good as they imagined and perhaps they have a lot of leftover inventory. I bet if they offered it as an option it would be more popular. As it is, you have to buy it separately.

The TRD thing is as simple as dirt. I can't see how there could be any defect at all. Anyway, no sweat, it fits the 2015 just fine.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #678
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Many intakes offer extra power, to find which make more is easy - just ask the manufacturer, I'm sure they will say theirs is the best !

I have used the TRD since it first became available, and when initially installed, I definately felt a noticable increase in driveability, made even more power with exhaust mods, OFT stage 2 UEL 93 octane tune, etc.
I'm sure that most intakes will do the same to varying degrees.

The TRD design offers a much larger surface area filter (more effective at dirt removal), a box airflow design is such that almost equal suction over entire surface area exists.
I clean it every spring, but I could probably avoid it for 2 to 3 years without cleaning it (no desert dust here, we turn into a white desert every winter).
A stupid red ribbed straight airflow tube to the fuel injectors (benefit of straight slowed down by the bumps of the ribs adding turbulence perhaps? Perhaps on purpose?).
Anyways, the idea is to have larger volumes of air, moving faster, and the TRD does that job very well.

Has anyone found a smooth walled replacement for that red silicone accordian ?

CERBERUS
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #679
Snowblind
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, for whatever reason, the warning lights for over-revs at 7k rmp and the electronic governor (limiting power above 7 k) were no longer functioning.

wat
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #680
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
MAF cleaner? Where do you get that?

Is this anything more than hexane/standard electronic parts cleaner?

Thanks for the reply.
any auto parts store should have it. Not sure what it's made from though, if i had to guess I'd say you're right, but don't know for sure.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #681
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Also, for whatever reason, the warning lights for over-revs at 7k rmp and the electronic governor (limiting power above 7 k) were no longer functioning. So I had to watch the redline on the tach rather than relying on the idiot lights on the dashboard.
The idiot light and buzzer is driver programmable. If you unhooked your battery and left it off to reset everything, you will need to turn it back on along with the gear indicator. Google it if you don't know how.