follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #113
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I installed my Mishimoto Radiator last week and Mishimoto hoses. Filled up the coolant, burped the system. Radiator is still full. I keep checking the overflow tank and I swear my car is just drinking coolant. I'm going to check the water pump connection by the crank, but I'm pretty sure I am not seeing any leaks.

About to have to buy a third gallon of coolant because the aftermarket ones take a ton!
How many gallons of coolant did you use when you filled up the radiator?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #114
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
How many gallons of coolant did you use when you filled up the radiator?
1 and a half about. More needs to go in my reservoir as I've been monitoring it losing coolant.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #115
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
1 and a half about. More needs to go in my reservoir as I've been monitoring it losing coolant.
It should take 8 quarts roughly or 2 gallons to complete this. You may be on the low end.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #116
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
It should take 8 quarts roughly or 2 gallons to complete this. You may be on the low end.
I had only a partial gallon or so with a backup full gallon. Think I'll order one more. Good news is I'm just above the low marker and it appears to be staying there, so I just need to top it off.

Removing my intake in the morning to check all my worm clamps and specifically that water pump hose to the lower radiator. Stock spring clamps sucked ass to use on the lower radiator. Didn't fit over the Mishimoto hose while on the lower inlet.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:33 AM   #117
litemup
Banned

Drives: around
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ok, everybody stop. Just stop.

Put your degrees back in your pants. Jeeeeezus!

Ideal gas law? Are you shitting me?

Are there people here that know better and are just watching this slow train-wreck?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~When it works~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The cooling system is a CLOSED system.

In normal operation there is NO PHASE CHANGE.

In normal operation the LIQUID coolant expands a little until it reaches a specific pressure. Then, at a constant elevated pressure, continues to expand through the high-pressure check valve into the reservoir until the engine reaches operating temperature.

When it cools down, as the LIQUID contracts, it sucks liquid back through a much weaker check valve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~When it's broken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, assume your radiator cap has even a tiny leak in the big check valve. Big problem.

Eventually, pressure bleeds down to the point at which the solution will boil at engine operating temperature...

...and, like a pressure cooker will continue to BURP VAPOR into the reservoir at a rate relative to the size of the leak and the engine operating temperature. From there, it will escape out the little hole in the top.

Ok, so, forgive me if someone already mentioned or implied it, not only must the system reach a certain pressure, it must hold it.

Any questions? I'm here all night. If I don't know, I will admit it.
litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to litemup For This Useful Post:
M1K3 (07-26-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #118
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Don't add just water to the overflow tank if you live in freezing conditions, the overflow tank may freeze and crack. Mix at least 50% coolant with the water or just use pure coolant as that will do no damage if it "freezes".

It takes a long time for the engine coolant to mix with the expansion tank coolant enough to freeze protect the overflow tank.
Ubersuber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ubersuber For This Useful Post:
litemup (07-27-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #119
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
FRS uses a lot of coolant?

I have a similar problem and after checking around i keep coming back to this thread. My reservoir coolant level keeps dropping. I last filled it, once cold to the full mark the 5th of october and now its already half way between low and full. Only six days after and half of it in the reservoir is gone?? There are no leaks anywhere that i could see, the radiator is completely full, any ideas? I really dread the trips to the dealers as i honestly think they are the worse people to work on the car but i don't have a mechanic and the car's got 7k miles on it.

For reference and future help to anyone with a similar problem. I took the car to the dealer and they did a pressure leak test. They found nothing, they say as long as the coolant in the reservoir doesn't go below the "low" mark, it's ok. If the coolant level drops below the low mark at any time then they'll have to perform other tests.

Last edited by yomny; 10-11-2014 at 03:14 PM.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #120
exE36M3

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Silly thought...

My old BMW E36 M3 used to drop coolant... about a liter a season... some factors to consider...

1. Evaporation - between the heat of the engine and weather, it happens. After all, what's right under the reservoir? The catalytic convertor.

2. The heater core - if you've been using this lately, and haven't ever topped off the coolant tank, it can hold an easy quart of fluid.

Hope this helps.
exE36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #121
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
I have the Mishimoto radiator and hose kit. I also bought the tbolt clamps they had as well. My previous coolant issue loss with the stock hoses is now gone. Thinking the seal on the stock system is bad because my coolant has been full for 2 months now when hot.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #122
slim blanco

Drives: 2017 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
this thread got me all nervous last night haha. i bought my frs used on june 9th with 36k on it, and i do remember seeing the coolant level at 'full' when i brought it home. it was in the high 60's that day. i checked it this morning before leaving for work at 6am, it was just above the 'low' lettering...it was probably mid to low 20's outside. when i got to work, it was about half an inch under the full line. it did the same thing when i left work and got home as well, so i'm going to assume mine is acting normal. i'm definitely going to keep an eye on it though. all oem on my car.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #123
2016 Camaro SS

Drives: Fast
I just checked my coolant again yesterday and it's still at the full mark.

I think the key is two things:

Silicon hoses
Clamps that aren't worm clamps (T-Bolt, or Constant Tension Bolt, Spring Bolt)

I'm willing to put more on the clamps being the key. Some FR-S/BRZ's I've checked in my area do not have coolant issues being newer models (2014/2015) but it is not consistent. It all depends on how well it is sealed and the clamps are the first place I would start.
2016 Camaro SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2016 Camaro SS For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-11-2014)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #124
n8dog11914

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Seem familiar? Maybe the leak is at the inlet to the reservoir. Going to check it out tomorrow in detail. It doesn't seem serious as I've only reached the 'low' mark 3 times since 2012.
Attached Images

n8dog11914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #125
Young_makaveli

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
If a pressure test checked out ok and you are still looking coolant, that narrows the possibilities. The pressure test if done properly should rule out leaks due to hoses/connections etc. So that leaves either escaping through the top of the reservoir or escaping through something that requires more pressure than what the pressure test can reproduce. For example a crack in the head gasket or engine block, something that may be affected by heat or stress. Or am I wrong?

I imagine you guys that are loosing coolant have checked the oil or looked under the oil cap for milky residue?
Be advised

That milky residue can also be condensation from not driving the car to operating temperature.
Young_makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote