follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #43
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post

We have idle settings, but they are not labeled with AC ON/OFF.. We could try a few different things to see if we can identity which is which.

Fan Speed, Yes, we can adjust that

On a side note have you been in touch with Rich recently?

John
I sent him a PM a couple of days ago with nothing back.

It would be very cool if we could get increased idle with AC working, I figure if you can get map switching done by defrost, you could somehow get this working. What I don't know is if idle speed is something you can just fiddle with while the car is running without pissing it off.

Now is it worth the time and effort...

And the fan speed, going back to my mustang forum I can't remember what they did in terms of speed, engagement, etc. I think they had the fans kick on before normal and at a slower, and less audible speed until ramping up to stock speed when coolant temp got hot. And the same thing with ramping down. I'm no expert obviously.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #44
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
I want user tuning so that I'm not locked into paying an ecutek vendor every time I have a problem. It's just the brzedit model, give us the tools to edit our own maps, or pay anyone I choose to do so.

I love ecutek's features. If it didn't try to lock me in and gave me control in the absence of any specific vendor, id pay a premium for it.
Is this for real? You can't self-tune with this...?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #45
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Is this for real? You can't self-tune with this...?
Yes it is true.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #46
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
So end user tuning should be free so small cost on top of the kit ?

No offense, but considering how antiquated the old model of how tuning was done a decade ago compared with today's technology, and Cobb's success
(among others) with end user tuning ability, it would be stupid of them not to. Sure they have the corner on the market now, but just like you said, there are other tuning platforms popping up that are considerably cheaper models. It would be a terrible model from a business standpoint to say "I'm going to stick to my guns because that's the way it's always been done" or, understandably, your concern as a tuner to make money if everyone is out there self tuning.

Somehow Cobb tuners manage to make money. I can assure you that aside from adjusting things like idle RPM, LTFT's and a few other minor changes, the vast majority are NOT going to do extensive self tunes even if the ability was available. I used Cobb for my Mazdaspeed 6 and that technology is now 5 years old. Half a decade has passed, we have a HUGE platform for aftermarket companies to jump on board (240,000 units in the first year? no brainer), the greatest advancement they've got right now for us is to basically have a cheap version of a standalone that the consumer will never have an input in personally.

I don't like the business model of trying to corner the market and extract every little dime you can from the consumer just because yours is the most function setup (for now). Greedy moneygrubbers, the lot of you. Just for making that comment, I will NOT be purchasing a tune from you when it comes time to pull the trigger on an Ecutek module. Whether that makes a difference to you, I care not, but the only way I can support ( or not support) a company is with the greenbacks in my pocket. Rest assured there are many others that feel the same way I do about the lack of end user tune-ability. I'm also aware that I really don't have much of a choice currently, so I'll bite the bullet.

I really hope others plead to ECUtek about this. It's stupid easy to implement. Just make a slightly dumbed down version of RaceRom. It's not fucking reinventing the wheel, it's okay to acknowledge others broke ground before you.

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dephective For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (09-10-2013), Sonolin (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #47
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
No offense, but considering how antiquated the old model of how tuning was done a decade ago compared with today's technology, and Cobb's success
(among others) with end user tuning ability, it would be stupid of them not to. Sure they have the corner on the market now, but just like you said, there are other tuning platforms popping up that are considerably cheaper models. It would be a terrible model from a business standpoint to say "I'm going to stick to my guns because that's the way it's always been done" or, understandably, your concern as a tuner to make money if everyone is out there self tuning.

Somehow Cobb tuners manage to make money. I can assure you that aside from adjusting things like idle RPM, LTFT's and a few other minor changes, the vast majority are NOT going to do extensive self tunes even if the ability was available. I used Cobb for my Mazdaspeed 6 and that technology is now 5 years old. Half a decade has passed, we have a HUGE platform for aftermarket companies to jump on board (240,000 units in the first year? no brainer), the greatest advancement they've got right now for us is to basically have a cheap version of a standalone that the consumer will never have an input in personally.

I don't like the business model of trying to corner the market and extract every little dime you can from the consumer just because yours is the most function setup (for now). Greedy moneygrubbers, the lot of you. Just for making that comment, I will NOT be purchasing a tune from you when it comes time to pull the trigger on an Ecutek module. Whether that makes a difference to you, I care not, but the only way I can support ( or not support) a company is with the greenbacks in my pocket. Rest assured there are many others that feel the same way I do about the lack of end user tune-ability. I'm also aware that I really don't have much of a choice currently, so I'll bite the bullet.

I really hope others plead to ECUtek about this. It's stupid easy to implement. Just make a slightly dumbed down version of RaceRom. It's not fucking reinventing the wheel, it's okay to acknowledge others broke ground before you.
Unfortunately this is how its done in most of the software industry. Usually I find that people who really support this model only support it because they are in a business of doing so.

Being in the software industry, I've seen the damage this sort of business model can do and try to avoid it as much as possible. Its outdated and doesn't give full rights to the consumer purchasing the product.

Closed Thread