follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #29
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
If the evo was so boring then why did you buy it. Thats a lot to spend on a boring sporty vehicle. If I cant grin on a test drive it isn't worth it.
Haven't personally owned a car before, but I'm guessing what happens to people is they drive a car the first time, and the experience is different enough from their previous car that they feel like it's fun and worth buying. Then as they drive it they get bored.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #30
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's something you realize down the road when you really start exploring the cars limits. at least that was my experience with the STi.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #31
andygee

Drives: honda
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like you guys should announce your evo prices so that people in the forums can take them off your hands lol

andygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #32
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Haven't personally owned a car before, but I'm guessing what happens to people is they drive a car the first time, and the experience is different enough from their previous car that they feel like it's fun and worth buying. Then as they drive it they get bored.
i envy you for the main fact your first car will be a 86

and yes that is what happens, car salesmen lead you into sucking their ****s and loving the car and making it out to be more than it really is

i do it for a living i would know... lol

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #33
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Well I didn't have a salesman in the car with me when i test drove my STI and basically just walked in and signed the papers after the test drive... this is why I always recommend to friends to find a good internet sales manager.

I just think peoples opinions change after they really get to know the car, which is only going to happen after owning it for a while. On paper these AWD turbo "sports cars" look great, but I know of more people than just the ones here who had an STI, EVO, or both and say similar things.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #34
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I agree. This happen with my RSX mainly because I don't live in a curvy road area.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #35
EvoFanatic

Drives: Evo X
Do what Im going to do and have an X (already have as DD) and buy a BRZ/FR-s for your new DD. Its more win!
EvoFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFanatic View Post
Do what Im going to do and have an X (already have as DD) and buy a BRZ/FR-s for your new DD. Its more win!
The Evo just isn't the car for me. But if I were to keep it, the Evo would be the daily/grocery getter - not the BRZ.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #37
neveronlinefrs

Drives: 2011 Honda Fit
iLuvektchup - is this the same one from S2Ki? If so Hi I talked to you a few times over there when I had my S2K (neveronlines2k) I had an 04 silverstone with a black HT and a bunch of ASM goodies.

Anyway, I would have to agree with you on the X while it is fast and easy to mod the car can be extremely boring (I had 5 other friends who all got into evo X's and not one of them is still driving it today) Its a great car for someone who has never owned a real drivers car once you have it almost makes you long for that car instead (I have also heard this from GTR owners). Going from the S to the X was boring, dont get me wrong my X would blister the S around the track, but I would be no better at driving because of it. It would just do everything for me unless I made a huge mistake. I had an octane blue X and I was making around 400hp to the wheels when I decided to sell it to get my wife into another car (tarded two for two do to hers was upside down)... to be honest i dont miss the car too much with the exception of passing power (my current Fit does not have ANY passing power...LOL!!!). I got rid of the S because I got married and my wife had two sons and then we just had a son about two years ago and with the growing family the S was just not practical.

I really miss my S2000, and because of that i have been following this car very closely, usually its just me and the boys in the car so i am anxious to see if the FRS/BRZ will be big enough for the boys and me (when the family goes out will will take the wifes 3). I have my fingers crossed and if we dont fit I will probably go look closer at the Genisis Coupe.

Noticing the price point kreeping up though has me considering getting back into a X, specially if the price keeps kreeping towards 30k I mean the X has no trunk space and the interior feels very cheap other then the seats, but other then that its a heck of a lot more car then the FRS both in technology and power. I really am trying to get back into a fun light weight RWD, but the market does not have much to get into (mustangs, Camaros and etc are not an option I am not looking for a striaghtine clumsy car...LOL).

I dont know guess Ill just keep hoping I can squeeze three kids into the FRS/BRZ, because based on reviews this will have some traights that remind me of the S, but with a little more interior space and a bigger trunk. Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #38
iLuveKetchup
My VTEC fluid is full

Drives: EFF JAY
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
:happy0180: Yup, I remember your Silverstone s2k as well. Looked great!!!

The BRZ will make a great fun to drive daily, IMO. You can have small children in the back, have storage space, and its a great platform to have fun / learn to drive. What's not to like? lol I'm with you though, I'll pull the trigger depending on price. Hopefully I'll find one with out the mark up.
iLuveKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #39
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Anyone considering the BRZ over the Evo X?

(thinking out loud a bit here)
I have an Evo X that I am considering trading/selling to get the BRZ. The BRZ will be the street car and I want to autocross competitively in SCCA ST* class. I much prefer RWD over AWD. I also like the BRZ's smaller size (exterior) over the Evo X. I don't care too much about power. My only concern is the room for rear passengers. Anyone else?
I have been driving a Mazdaspeed6 for 7 months, at first i was like "yay AWD super traction!!" but what AWD really is "boring, super traction indeed, expensive and often repairs"

I'm going back to RWD wether its the FR-S or not..

seriously i would go out to a deserted parking lot on a rainy day and try to drift and do donuts and I CANT stupid AWD
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #40
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
seriously i would go out to a deserted parking lot on a rainy day and try to drift and do donuts and I CANT stupid AWD
LOL, I remember one rainy day I tried to do donuts in the parking lot with my AWD Eclipse GSX and it actually started lifting the outside rear! That thing grips! But when there's a solid layer of snow on the ground it will drift beautifully. It's sooo much fun driving an AWD car with snow tires on in the snow! And that's why I will keep my Eclipse for the winter/snow.

As for the Evo X, I recently posted my thoughts on this vs. the BRZ/FRS. The Evo X is full of technology (large turbocharger/intercooler, helical front LSD, electronically controlled center and rear differentials, and a twin clutch transmission on the MR) and it is a relatively heavy/high CoG car. This means it is less predictable and potentially less fun.

The problem is, most new cars are like this - they are big, heavy, and electronically controlled with very little feedback/feel. That is why I am excited and hopeful about the FRS/BRZ.

With that said, the older Evo VIII/IX has more feel/feedback than the Evo X. The Momo steering wheel, Recaro seats, shifter, and pedals are the best I've ever felt (even over the S2000 and pre-2006 Miatas). It's smaller, lighter, and in America, only has a mechanical rear LSD so it's more predictable. But it's still a bit top heavy.

And then there's my GSX which is a low/small coupe with the same engine and drivetrain as the old Evo's but with a smaller turbo. It is very predictable and gives you plenty of feel that you simply don't get with new cars. However, it is getting old and I constantly have to replace things on it. So I'm hoping the FRS will give me the modern, reliable technology I want with the feel, responsiveness, and smoothness that I want.

So in conclusion, the Evo X is a very fast and grippy car but it's big and less predictable. The BRZ/FRS is a slower car with less traction but small and should be more predictable. They both offer different types of fun - the Evo X will impress you with its speed while the BRZ/FRS should impress you with its balance.
Bristecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #41
ngabdala
Vortech Supercharged

Drives: WRB BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I used to prefer buying an evo but I know that awesome new car feeling would be squashed after filling up my tank 3 times a week.

Who want to drive a car where you have to change how you like to drive because of how expensive gas is. I want a car that's fun that I get great mpg like a brz or my 2011 civic si
ngabdala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #42
TriForce

Drives: Camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey,
I have a question for EVO owners out there,
Do you think it's possible to find 2010 EVO gsr mostly stock and less then 20k mileage for $27,500-28,000? And how expensive will it be to maintain one? Do you think costs are roughly equal to owning a used BMW? Premium gas? Insurance?

This weekend I've driven one, and now can't get it out of my head. Limited BRZ I pre-ordered starts to look less and less atractive. I know, I know... apples and oranges, but still it looks like you get so much more for your money with EVO. Simple math really, with BRZ - 50% of cars around you are more powerfull. and with EVO - you are pretty much more powerfull than 90% of whats out there.

Besides I am not sure I am psychologicaly ready to buy a brand new car just yet.
TriForce is offline   Reply With Quote