follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #99
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
It's so angry....someone parked in its spot or something?
It thinks it's in the BTTC series.

Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #100
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I tried to get my wife interested in the Corolla hatch but she didn't like the blue colour.
As you can see it clearly is horrible compared to the Impreza blue that she really liked!
All the blues sold out around here. One of the two I drove was blue and was surprised to see that it's a metallic that really pops on a sunny day. With the darker interior two-tone choice, it's a combo that works on this little car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #101
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
It's a recall so a repair lasting over a day like the valve springs should get you a free loaner vehicle.
Hopefully they allow me to take a 2019 Corolla hatchback loaner so I can get some good seat time and decide if its right for us. If they give that to me I'll post my impressions of it in this thread as well.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #102
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
All the blues sold out around here. One of the two I drove was blue and was surprised to see that it's a metallic that really pops on a sunny day. With the darker interior two-tone choice, it's a combo that works on this little car.
They had blues here. I could not tell the difference between the Subaru and Toyota blue. The Toyota one however was just totally wrong for some reason. We spent days looking at all the makes and models of a hatchback or small SUV to find one that was just the right shade of blue. NOTHING else mattered.
Atmo (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #103
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Hopefully they allow me to take a 2019 Corolla hatchback loaner so I can get some good seat time and decide if its right for us. If they give that to me I'll post my impressions of it in this thread as well.
I drove M/T and CVT XSE's and posted my impressions in another thread. There's a big difference in driver engagement, control and happy time between them. I especially liked the M/T car but they're hard to find and most dealers only place automatics in their loaner/rental fleets. I'll be interested in your thoughts.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:54 PM   #104
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They had blues here. I could not tell the difference between the Subaru and Toyota blue. The Toyota one however was just totally wrong for some reason. We spent days looking at all the makes and models of a hatchback or small SUV to find one that was just the right shade of blue. NOTHING else mattered.
I thought it was too feminine but that could be my toxic masculinity talking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-15-2019), weederr33 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #105
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well the Toyota colour name of "Blazing blue pearl" does slightly edge out Subaru's "Island blue pearl" in the masculine name category. Just slightly.
Atmo (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #106
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Stop man spreading in this thread! MODS!!!

LOL

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Atmo (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #107
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Depends on the dealer. Mine used Enterprise for their rentals rather than Toyota Rental, so I had a choice between an F150 and a Grand Caravan. Took the F150. Did not crash....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:37 PM   #108
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
So when I brought my FRS into the dealership for the valve spring recall my wife and I test drove the 19 corolla hatchback with both transmissions. Here are my thoughts.

The car had kind of has a different presence in person than from pictures. It is more small and compact than the pictures indicate. The hatchback feels small. The trunk/hatch is also quite small, the space saver takes up a good amount of space. However with the seats down and the removable shelf/cargo hider out of the way you can fit a decent amount of stuff. Rear leg room is also pretty tight, but headroom has some to spare, so tall adults in the back can get by but it isn't ideal. Kids however would be more than comfy in the back.

Driver and front passenger seats felt good, with a surprising amount of side bolstering for a hatchback. The infotainment system is one of the few things I really didn't like along with a electronic parking brake. The info screen felt arbitrarily placed and a little in the way, but the screen is quite large and has apple car play but no android auto. The sales person said there is another app you can get to get maps on the screen with android. The car also has fake as hell exhaust vents, which annoys me but doesn't bother me as much as the fake vents on the civics.

Now for how it drives, the manual transmission felt really good. The throw is medium long. Clutch engage point felt nice and smooth, the car was very easy to drive and shift gears. Compared to the FRS the manual transmission is more easy to drive and forgiving. It revs pretty high to about 6,700 rpm I think, felt rev happy. It was kind of slow but it was a hoot to rev that thing out and get up to speed. It felt pretty planted in the corners for a hatchback (obviously no where near what an FRS is but pretty good). The car had some spunk which I liked but didn't feel super fast, seems like a car that a good time can be had in corners.

The automatic felt good, pretty standard, doesn't quite feel like a CVT auto and it was one of the better CVTs I have ever experienced. However it felt I dunno..less interesting than the manual. The manual version just felt so alive. However the CVT was faster off the line which was impressive.

All in all I actually really enjoyed it and I think I might get one as our secondary car to replace the 07 Yaris. It was a pleasant experience and the car in general has a funky vibe which was nice to see on a corolla. Also that blue color they advertise is the best looking color by a large margin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-05-2019), krayzie (03-05-2019), why? (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #109
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

All in all I actually really enjoyed it and I think I might get one as our secondary car to replace the 07 Yaris. It was a pleasant experience and the car in general has a funky vibe which was nice to see on a corolla. Also that blue color they advertise is the best looking color by a large margin.
as a guy who came from the Yaris world forums and owned a STS class yaris. this makes me happy to hear to no end.

best used car 5 years from now XD XD
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
why? (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 04:27 AM   #110
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
as a guy who came from the Yaris world forums and owned a STS class yaris. this makes me happy to hear to no end.

best used car 5 years from now XD XD
Surprised to see another YW member here aside from myself and Why. haha
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (03-06-2019), why? (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:26 AM   #111
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
So when I brought my FRS into the dealership for the valve spring recall my wife and I test drove the 19 corolla hatchback with both transmissions. Here are my thoughts.

The car had kind of has a different presence in person than from pictures. It is more small and compact than the pictures indicate. The hatchback feels small. The trunk/hatch is also quite small, the space saver takes up a good amount of space. However with the seats down and the removable shelf/cargo hider out of the way you can fit a decent amount of stuff. Rear leg room is also pretty tight, but headroom has some to spare, so tall adults in the back can get by but it isn't ideal. Kids however would be more than comfy in the back.

Driver and front passenger seats felt good, with a surprising amount of side bolstering for a hatchback. The infotainment system is one of the few things I really didn't like along with a electronic parking brake. The info screen felt arbitrarily placed and a little in the way, but the screen is quite large and has apple car play but no android auto. The sales person said there is another app you can get to get maps on the screen with android. The car also has fake as hell exhaust vents, which annoys me but doesn't bother me as much as the fake vents on the civics.

Now for how it drives, the manual transmission felt really good. The throw is medium long. Clutch engage point felt nice and smooth, the car was very easy to drive and shift gears. Compared to the FRS the manual transmission is more easy to drive and forgiving. It revs pretty high to about 6,700 rpm I think, felt rev happy. It was kind of slow but it was a hoot to rev that thing out and get up to speed. It felt pretty planted in the corners for a hatchback (obviously no where near what an FRS is but pretty good). The car had some spunk which I liked but didn't feel super fast, seems like a car that a good time can be had in corners.

The automatic felt good, pretty standard, doesn't quite feel like a CVT auto and it was one of the better CVTs I have ever experienced. However it felt I dunno..less interesting than the manual. The manual version just felt so alive. However the CVT was faster off the line which was impressive.

How much bigger is the Corolla hatch than the Yaris hatch? I just sold my Yaris because insurance rates are so absurdly expensive, but if I ever really get a place to start taking apart my BRZ I'll need a second car, and I love that blue.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #112
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
How much bigger is the Corolla hatch than the Yaris hatch? I just sold my Yaris because insurance rates are so absurdly expensive, but if I ever really get a place to start taking apart my BRZ I'll need a second car, and I love that blue.

I can't say for sure because my 07 Yaris S is a sedan model. The trunk space is not big though even with the seats down. I could fit a decent amount but I would call it below average trunk space for a hatch. Depends what you plan on carrying. Trips to home depot or furniture moving it will not be great. If your just planning on moving kids and parts that are not too large it would be perfect. It comes down to how much trunk space you need and how often. To me I only imagine running into a problem with this Corolla when moving furniture, in the very rare times I might do so with this car. Seemed like a good trade off for the compactness of this car. This hatchback is smaller compared to most other hatchebacks.