follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
FencebusterTDI

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Intermittent power steering

Did some quick searches in the Issues/warranty/recalls/TSB. Didn't see much on intermittent power steering function and intermittent "pulling" in one direction or the other (except some Australian or UK recall articles... sounds almost exactly the same though).

2014 BRZ with less than 60k miles.

Car has been very reliable, but this has sprung up since as early as approx. 22k miles.

It seems to be more sensitive in the cold (perhaps below 40 degrees F). Even if the power steering is working, it often pulls hard (not tractor-level "hard" here, but noticeable in a car like the 86) when I first start driving (first few minutes on slow roads).

The problem has lasted as long as an hour, or sometimes just happens for a couple minutes.

Should I just go pester a dealer for a new steering rack? I question their ability to get the car back to me in better condition. I've not been impressed the last few years with most repair outfits (dealer or otherwise) on any sort of mechanical endeavor.

It is quite rare... but I'd hate to see it get worse.

Many thanks
FencebusterTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #2
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My car is a 2014, it's going back to Subaru this coming Friday to have the power steering ECU replaced (Warranty recall). I haven't actually experienced any issues with the power steering but then it only has 7.5k miles under its belt.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
FencebusterTDI

The steering issues are not "critical" so to speak (to me), but they are annoying.

I'm in the U.S. so I'm not sure if there is a similar recall in place. Most cars I've had have many many miles, so chasing recalls and warranty claims is new to me.

If I had accurate wiring diagrams and decent schematics I'd just figure it out, or I'd tolerate it if time didn't allow.

Still... 1st owner, paid the premium... would like to see it somewhat bug-free until that 100k mile mark.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FencebusterTDI View Post
Did some quick searches in the Issues/warranty/recalls/TSB. Didn't see much on intermittent power steering function and intermittent "pulling" in one direction or the other (except some Australian or UK recall articles... sounds almost exactly the same though).

Car has been very reliable, but this has sprung up since as early as approx. 22k miles.

It seems to be more sensitive in the cold (perhaps below 40 degrees F). Even if the power steering is working, it often pulls hard (not tractor-level "hard" here, but noticeable in a car like the 86) when I first start driving (first few minutes on slow roads).

The problem has lasted as long as an hour, or sometimes just happens for a couple minutes.

Should I just go pester a dealer for a new steering rack? I question their ability to get the car back to me in better condition. I've not been impressed the last few years with most repair outfits (dealer or otherwise) on any sort of mechanical endeavor.

Many thanks
WELCOME to our friendly (mostly) forum .......

I'd suggest you have the dealer check it out. Why?

* why put up with a pain like that

* if it should happen to go south (when you want to turn north) that might not turn out good

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

Many thanks
Questions:

1. When, after acting up, it kicks in, does it do so like a light switch?

2. Does it tend to act up turning in one direction, or does it not matter?

3. "Not tractor-level hard" is vague. Is there some assist but at a lower torque, or is the servo as dead as if you had pulled the power steering fuse?
Old 07-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
FencebusterTDI

1. Instant. It is electrical for sure. That assumes it completely cuts out. Usually it does random pulls left and right. I can tell it's electrical because it isn't always consistent and it is intermittent. When the power steering is gone it feels perfectly consistent.

2. I don't have to turn to notice. If I let go of the wheel at 30 it will pull pretty abruptly to the right, or maybe the left, i.e. zero consistency. Sometimes I can turn it hard one way or the other and get strange feedback (like it doesnt pull to the right anymore after I rack it hard to the left).

3. It is either dead with the dash light on, or it has inconsistent feel. I only notice it at the start of a drive. Usually on the highway it's completely gone.

I work with machines ALL day long. I notice when something isn't quite working right. Obvious when it cuts out and throws the dash light, but the frustrating part is when it gives strange pushes and pulls buzzing down the road at 35 before you hit the highway.

Guess I might have to bring it in finally. Will let all know how it goes.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Something could be wrong with the Power Steering ECU. The motor is speed sensitive so it's lighter (more assist) at slow speeds but if there's an issue with the ECU it may be confused somehow. Internals of the rack or bent tire rod end bar could cause issues but would be more constant. The steering rack is manual so no fluid thus no hydraulic seals. The motor is the assist.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
1. Instant. It is electrical for sure. That assumes it completely cuts out. Usually it does random pulls left and right. I can tell it's electrical because it isn't always consistent and it is intermittent. When the power steering is gone it feels perfectly consistent.

2. I don't have to turn to notice. If I let go of the wheel at 30 it will pull pretty abruptly to the right, or maybe the left, i.e. zero consistency. Sometimes I can turn it hard one way or the other and get strange feedback (like it doesnt pull to the right anymore after I rack it hard to the left).

3. It is either dead with the dash light on, or it has inconsistent feel. I only notice it at the start of a drive. Usually on the highway it's completely gone.

I work with machines ALL day long. I notice when something isn't quite working right. Obvious when it cuts out and throws the dash light, but the frustrating part is when it gives strange pushes and pulls buzzing down the road at 35 before you hit the highway.

Guess I might have to bring it in finally. Will let all know how it goes.
The strange pushes & pulls indicate issues with inputs to the PS ecu. I seriously doubt it's the ecu itself. Much more likely is error input or position feedback.

If at a standstill with the engine off you wiggle the steering wheel, you'll notice some left to right play before the wheels start turning. That's the "torque sensor" The control error signal corresponds to how hard you yank on the wheel. The controller responds by driving the servo motor to eliminate the error.

the rotation angle sensor tells the controller just that, the steering angle.

I don't know exactly the logic of the control system but a loose plug or intermittent connection could cause what you describe.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:22 PM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Their was a recall out on power steering , well in australia anyway they replaced power steering control unit and sensors free
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
FencebusterTDI

Thanks for all the responses.

If it helps anyone in the future...

Got a front end alignment with the new tires and the problem has not surfaced since.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FencebusterTDI For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-31-2017), Ultramaroon (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
humfrz

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses.

If it helps anyone in the future...

Got a front end alignment with the new tires and the problem has not surfaced since.
Glad your car is fixed ........

Now, folks, go figure this.

mrs humfrz's Saturn's steering was acting up (it's a hydraulic system). It was creaking and groaning when the wheel was turned.

So, I took it into the dealer for a look see. $100 later, they told me the car needed a new power steering pump, hydraulic lines and steering rack ......which they could install for $2,200........

Hey, since I'm on a fixed income and too lazy to do my own work ...... I decided to just live with it.

But, I then decided to take the car up to my buddies at the local auto shop and have them take a look see.

They recommended adding power steering fluid, new tires (OEM had 45,000 miles on them), new brake pads, two new front rotors and a four wheel alignment.

Well, I knew that deferred maintenance stuff should be done, so I said OK.

Now, guess what, the steering works perfectly ........

So, I got the steering fixed, new brake pads, new rotors, new tires and an alignment all for $1,300.

So much for the dealership's diagnosis ..........

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

We went way down the wrong road with this one. Yikes!
Old 12-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #13
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
We went way down the wrong road with this one. Yikes!
Ahhh.......sometimes it's dark and hard to see ...... under the shade tree.....

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-31-2017)