follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
G.I.Choe

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tranny fluid or engine oil leak?

I recently discovered this on my parking spot (it's a condo parking lot with assigned spots), and started freaking out. I don't have jack stands or ramps, so I can't get under there.

Luckily I'm still on my factory warranty.

Backstory on this car: had my fuel pump replaced in late 2013, my tranny replaced January 2014, and my rear axle tightened last week. I've kept up with the free oil changes and services, and now I've run into this little gem.

The dipstick looks good, and the fluid on it is a different color than what I'm seeing on the ground. It's tranny fluid right? Just want to get a consensus...

http://imgur.com/yUtGEzD,aspMzMn#0
G.I.Choe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have a look at this thread. This is the first place I would look, and it is easy to check from the top.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26197

Also, you should be able to reach under the car and feel around the drain plug. If a new gasket wasn't used at the last oil change, or the plug wasn't tightened enough to completely crush the gasket, you could have a slight leak there as well. Another thing to note: when the oil pan is painted, the drain plug and gasket are in place. This makes it fairly difficult to remove the gasket at the 1st oil change. If the tech/person doing the oil change doesn't notice this, you could end up with 2 gaskets in place on the drain plug. This could also result in a bit of a leak. Engine oil always looks darker on the ground than it does on the dipstick.

Last edited by roddy; 05-28-2014 at 07:06 AM.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote