follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
slade7588

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which Speakers for Upgrade

Now I have used search and dabbled in some of the other threads but car audio seems to be a black art to me.

I want to upgrade the car speakers both in the dash and in the doors. I have a premium infinity audio system In my genesis. There are 10 speakers and a deck mounted 8" sub and the sound quality is very good. Maybe even excellent but I haven't heard many other systems so I am sure there are better out there.

Mainly I listen to jazz music and classical music with a lot of instrumentation. I want maximum clarify of sound above bass or being able to feel the car shake. The thing is most people seem to want a "powerful" audio system but what I am looking for is crisp sound over power.

I know the stock speakers can only do 2 ohms. i know that 4 is better but not sure why.

I know its best to replace the stock amplifier asap to improve sound quality but don't really understand why that makes a difference either.

But my main question is how much do I have to spend to get and equivalent or better audio system than what is in my genesis currently. I definitely want to do door and dash speakers but do I have to do rears? and how much should a "good" amp run me for what I am looking to do?

I am looking for ball park price quotes as well as a general idea of the different components I will need to purchase to make it possible. And what I could possibly omit like maybe rear speakers.

for now lets just assume i will use stock head unit. Though I hope to get a pioneer next deck sometime soon.
slade7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do you want an easy solution? If yes check out oem+. You're going to spend about 1k but you can easily spend the same and more going other routes. Sounds like a good fit for your description.
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chimera For This Useful Post:
shiro (03-30-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
slade7588

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
What would some good aftermarket companies be?
slade7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:23 AM   #4
Simplicity

Drives: 15' MT FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Do you want an easy solution? If yes check out oem+. You're going to spend about 1k but you can easily spend the same and more going other routes. Sounds like a good fit for your description.
How does the oem+ sound compare to the stock stereo? Just switch my HU to an Alpine and the speaker just sucks or maybe it's the amplifer, so I'm looking for an upgrade too

Via Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:02 AM   #5
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by slade7588 View Post
What would some good aftermarket companies be?
OEM+ is an aftermarket company even if there name would suggest otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
How does the oem+ sound compare to the stock stereo? Just switch my HU to an Alpine and the speaker just sucks or maybe it's the amplifer, so I'm looking for an upgrade too

Via Note 4 using Tapatalk.
TBH I haven't heard their setups, however I'd like to. My personal impression, to be taken with a grain of salt, is that for the money you can't beat them, however, there are better options if moneys not an object. I believe their solutions remove the factory amp from the equation, but i could be mistaken. I do know they have several dsp profiles for various HU and will work with you if you have something other than stock.
they are a vendor here, I'm sure one of them can speak better to it than I can.
If you want to go custom I recommend starting on the how to use the OEM amp harness thread, lots of good info there. theres a sticky directory of threads with good info at the top of the Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment section
Old 03-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
OEM+ is an aftermarket company even if there name would suggest otherwise.

TBH I haven't heard their setups, however I'd like to. My personal impression, to be taken with a grain of salt, is that for the money you can't beat them, however, there are better options if moneys not an object. I believe their solutions remove the factory amp from the equation, but i could be mistaken. I do know they have several dsp profiles for various HU and will work with you if you have something other than stock.
they are a vendor here, I'm sure one of them can speak better to it than I can.
If you want to go custom I recommend starting on the how to use the OEM amp harness thread, lots of good info there. theres a sticky directory of threads with good info at the top of the Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment section

Your advice is kinda backwards. OEM+ charges a premium for it to be plug and play. For the money, the biggest value would be to upgrade the door speakers, tweeters up on the dash, and amp in the rear. Couple this with a good subwoofer, and you have a setup that blows the doors off of the OEM+ rig for half the price. Ask me how I know.

I just was over at @Integrity Concepts donating my 86 for them to make a 12" box offering

The only thing OEM+ truly has a competitive advantage in is their DSP- signal processor that is mapped to the car's sonic platform. That is truly something worth buying- here's the caveat, though... it's only sold with their premium package. So you buy everything else just for the dsp.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Integrity Concepts (04-21-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
Your advice is kinda backwards. OEM+ charges a premium for it to be plug and play. For the money, the biggest value would be to upgrade the door speakers, tweeters up on the dash, and amp in the rear. Couple this with a good subwoofer, and you have a setup that blows the doors off of the OEM+ rig for half the price. Ask me how I know.

I just was over at @Integrity Concepts donating my 86 for them to make a 12" box offering

The only thing OEM+ truly has a competitive advantage in is their DSP- signal processor that is mapped to the car's sonic platform. That is truly something worth buying- here's the caveat, though... it's only sold with their premium package. So you buy everything else just for the dsp.
I did say you could do better, the OP didn't seem very interested in learning the ins and outs of amps, setting gains, what the differences are between 2 and 4 ohms and why people choose them.

As far as price, you can build cheaper systems, but one a sub, box (corner loaded specifically, other standard boxes are cheaper), amp, and amp kit your looking at about 450+ without doing anything about any of the other speakers. that's all I was saying. Koa's right though, if your willing to learn more, you can very likely do more on a smaller/similar budget.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Chimera

I guess for perspective though, I am running this currently:
Infinity Reference series 6.5coax, 3.5coax, and tweeter (I'm to lazy to lookup model numbers, but you can find them easily) on audio pipe 3way crossovers (crx-303 I think) and infinity ref 4coax in the rear, all off an alpine ktp-445u wired for 4ch rear and front. Additionally, I have a wxv2 powered at 175w in a standard box. I'd like to upgrade to some corner load boxes, but money...
Old 03-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
I guess for perspective though, I am running this currently:
Infinity Reference series 6.5coax, 3.5coax, and tweeter (I'm to lazy to lookup model numbers, but you can find them easily) on audio pipe 3way crossovers (crx-303 I think) and infinity ref 4coax in the rear, all off an alpine ktp-445u wired for 4ch rear and front. Additionally, I have a wxv2 powered at 175w in a standard box. I'd like to upgrade to some corner load boxes, but money...
All I pointed out was that for the money, OEM+ isn't the "bang for your buck" all other options considered- never said you didn't say one could do better (double negatives booosh)

I'm running similar to you, Infinity Kappas 62.11s and some tweeters I had lying around through a ktp-445u wired up back... a 12W6v2 sub and 500/1 monoblock for boom..

I got the sub & box for 180, kappas for 80 new, the ktp for 90, the 500/1 monoblock for 300 after in-store credit for some boxes I traded.. I dare an OEM+ system to sound x2 better as at current they're 2x the price of my setup for far less sonic performance
Old 03-10-2015, 01:34 AM   #10
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I would start with sound insulation on the doors... change the settings to feel with Max Bass and ASL to Low.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
Chimera (03-10-2015), Ornelas66 (03-29-2015), Shankenstein (03-11-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
bigdawg86

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
I just about finished my stereo install... so far I love it.

Doors and Dash: Precision Power PPI P65C3, these are 3 way components with a passive crossover and sounds amazing. The reason why I chose the 3 way is so that I can retain and use all the available speaker locations, but have 6 speakers only using 2 channels. I did bypass all the stock wiring and ran my own.

Rears: JBL GTO429, these are 4" speakers and require some modification to get them to fit the rears. These are ran off my remaining 2 channels on my amp.

Speaker Amp: Rockford Fosgate P400X4

Sub: Kicker Comp VX10

Sub Amp: Rockford Fosgate 600.1db

Capacitor: Rockford Fosgate 1 farad

I am currently running these off a cheap car headunit I was using for my garage stereo, but my Pioneer 4100NEX is currently on it's way to my house.

The install was a pain in the ass but worth it. I used great stuff foam (2 cans) in each rear wheel well and then poly fill the remaining dead space (Don't tell my wife, we are missing 2 pillows). The sound deadening difference is phenomenally more quiet. I know people will boo hoo the great stuff, but it worked.
bigdawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdawg86 For This Useful Post:
Simplicity (03-14-2015)
Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 AM   #12
Vmax911

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg86 View Post
I just about finished my stereo install... so far I love it.

Doors and Dash: Precision Power PPI P65C3, these are 3 way components with a passive crossover and sounds amazing. The reason why I chose the 3 way is so that I can retain and use all the available speaker locations, but have 6 speakers only using 2 channels. I did bypass all the stock wiring and ran my own.

Happen to have any install pics? I've been eyeing those PPI components but the tweeter looked like may have a hard time fitting in the stock location.
Vmax911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
bigdawg86

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1426349089748.jpg
Views: 9868
Size:  643.4 KB
The tweeter was the only thing that I mounted in a spot that was same location as stock, but flush mounted.
bigdawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg86 View Post
Attachment 104465
The tweeter was the only thing that I mounted in a spot that was same location as stock, but flush mounted.
why not relocate tweeters if you're going custom? Those dash speakers are in a bad sonic location.. right up against that pane.