follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #29
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It's too bad that DIY altering/replacing a fuel pump is a lawsuit waiting to happen but this OEM shortcoming could create a cottage industry for hp fuel pumps that are truly silent. Does Subaru/Toyota deem this not something worth fixing or are they completely stumped? Maybe they should switch suppliers?

A good cottage industry (assuming this is the cause) would be better seals to prevent tail light condensation. If somebody steals this idea hook me up!
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #30
RojerLockless

Drives: Raven Fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frstorm View Post
Ethanol in the gas is causing the crickets. Just use non ethanol and problem solved
Obviously everyone checks that first broskie... Did a search the closest place from Houston with non Ethanol gas is 110 miles away. Clearly that's a great option.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #31
Bradley_stockstill

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Fr-s, 06 rs2 scion Tc
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojerLockless View Post
Obviously everyone checks that first broskie... Did a search the closest place from Houston with non Ethanol gas is 110 miles away. Clearly that's a great option.
Not all gas stations will come up with a search, the only local places near me is some mom and pop gas station, and a place that sells rocket fuel for NASA test engines. The mom and pop place has been around a long time and like most family owned places in small towns, they have no affiliation on the internet. When i found out that a local place had non-ethanol fuel i told most of my close buddies and half of them had no idea it was a pure station.

Id say its very possible that there is one closer than you think.
Bradley_stockstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #32
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Yup. I fill up at half. It's just a habit. I was told to keep a half tank gas just in case a major earth quake hits I can still leave California.
Lol.. Good planning!
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #33
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Aside from the noise, are the crickets really considered an issue that could contribute to more mechanical/engine issues? If not, I do not foresee a real fix to eliminate the cricket noise from Subaru/Toyota seeing as it does not interfere with how the engine runs/operates.

Just my opinion.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #34
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
I'm planning to buy a 2014 FR-S Monogram. Anyone had cricket trouble with a 2014 model yet?
CruiseZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #35
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Had my pump replaced earlier this month. 100 miles in I heard a slight chirp. They definitely insulated it to the point where it's hard to tell what's a belt sound and a chirping sound so for me the problem is effectively dealt with.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #36
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Router then you must get used to the crickets
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #37
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley_stockstill View Post
Not all gas stations will come up with a search, the only local places near me is some mom and pop gas station, and a place that sells rocket fuel for NASA test engines. The mom and pop place has been around a long time and like most family owned places in small towns, they have no affiliation on the internet. When i found out that a local place had non-ethanol fuel i told most of my close buddies and half of them had no idea it was a pure station.

Id say its very possible that there is one closer than you think.
I have a "pure" station within an easy drive but their name, Space Age, facility that looks like a large ATM kiosk and employees who look like they drink rocket fuel isn't the most reassuring compared to my favorite squeaky clean Chevron even closer.

A 'net search indicates that they might be selling unadulterated 76 but when I call their listed number it's a fax line.

It's Mom & Pop alright, claim to have been there over 30 years, but should I worry about putting potentially bottom of the storage tank 76, ethanol free or not, into a new car?
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #38
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
I have a "pure" station within an easy drive but their name, Space Age, facility that looks like a large ATM kiosk and employees who look like they drink rocket fuel isn't the most reassuring compared to my favorite squeaky clean Chevron even closer.

A 'net search indicates that they might be selling unadulterated 76 but when I call their listed number it's a fax line.

It's Mom & Pop alright, claim to have been there over 30 years, but should I worry about putting potentially bottom of the storage tank 76, ethanol free or not, into a new car?
Yep, we got one like that in Puyallup. I'm afraid of what might really be in their tank.....
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #39
Bradley_stockstill

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Fr-s, 06 rs2 scion Tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, we got one like that in Puyallup. I'm afraid of what might really be in their tank.....
I can agree with being skeptical on their fuel in some situations, there is a local place near me that says they sell great fuel, but the actual tank is located in a flood area and you get water down gas from their old tanks they havent bothered to fix. i Absolutely had to get gas one day from there and my car struggled to get 27mpg at interstate speeds after using about half a quarter of fuel from there when i regularly get 33-34mpg. needless to say i'll risk running out of fuel next time to get a few miles further and get better fuel if i ever have a situation like that again.

But on another note, the local pure station i fill up at looks really run down and the building has been there for easily 25-30 years and they only have 2 available pumps that still look like they're from the early 90s. needless to say, they have awesome fuel and you can tell the car really responds better on good fuel.
Bradley_stockstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #40
RojerLockless

Drives: Raven Fr-s
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseZen View Post
I'm planning to buy a 2014 FR-S Monogram. Anyone had cricket trouble with a 2014 model yet?
Yes some 2014's have the problem
Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #41
FatFree

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
There's a non-ethanol gas station blocks away from my house. But the highest they have is 90 octane. No crickets or power?
FatFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #42
Drive
Crickets...

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frstorm View Post
Ethanol in the gas is causing the crickets. Just use non ethanol and problem solved
Not a solution for everyone. For example in Northern California, there are no non-ethanol gas stations.
Drive is offline   Reply With Quote