follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #15
uEih

Drives: CBS Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
It could have been worse I suppose, but that doesn't really make me feel any better lol.
That sucks, pretty bad but at least it was only the wheel and nothing more.
uEih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #16
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I find many people to have the, oh its a sports car let me screw with them or oh its a sports car let me speed up and stay with them mentality. This happens with my mom as well as her car is a very visible sporty car. I have people pull out in front of me, speed up when I catch them, nearly blow stop signs starring at me, nearly rear end me.

Most of the problem is law enforcement is too busy setting up speed traps and nailing those doing 5-10 over on the highway and over looking all the driving etiquette laws that are being broken. People have been allowed to become ignorant and unaccountable for their improper driving habits.

My three biggest pet peeves about other drivers:
-Riding in the left lane and not moving over when others are obviously going faster then you
-Not able to maintain a constant speed(99% of vehicles have cruise control, use it!)
-Texting, reading, putting on makeup, or any other highly distracting activity while driving
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
CoupedUpSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CoupedUpSubie For This Useful Post:
Ammunition (08-20-2014), eblamble3 (08-21-2014), kavanagh (08-21-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #17
BeRZed

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I was driving behind an suv in a parkade, when he suddenly stops, then decides to reverse. I'm honking at him as he starts reversing even faster, and nearly hits me until I start backing up.
BeRZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #18
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I think the size of the car is only part of the problem.
The bigger problem is people A) aren't paying attention at the helm of a 4,000lb projectile, B) just don't know how to drive (i.e. lane discipline, situational awareness etc) or both.

The only thing to do is to assume someone will do something stupid, and always keep an eye out for emergency exits.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:58 AM   #19
Wilso
"Patience young Padawan"

Drives: 2017 Crystal White BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
It could have been worse I suppose, but that doesn't really make me feel any better lol.
This makes me heart ache T_T
Wilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #20
jwoodland

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Couldn't agree more... Most people are just not paying attention and if you are driving something smaller then an SUV they just don't see it. I grew up and learned to drive in a time when the rule of the road was to "Drive Defensively". I always assume the other person is going to pull a bone head move, and I'm rarely disappointed.
jwoodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
aaronglass
Artist / Audio Nerd

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ, Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I definitely get more "road ragers" with this car than with my scion. So many trucks, dads in vans and morons in infinity's (and the like) are CONSTANTLY trying to cut me off, race me, don't see me, or randomly aggresively driving.

I honestly swear it's jealousy.

Don't even get me started on those Genises
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #22
haison

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's just a problem with bad drivers. This past Sunday I had fallen behind in a group ride so I was solo on my bicycle and was going around 17MPH when a 4Runner doesn't even stop at the stop sign on the back road and I had to push myself off their fender to avoid getting hit and ended up in a ditch. They just rolled down the window to see that I wasn't dead and drove off.

Yesterday I had come to a busy road that was known for lots of accident because of the location of an apartment complex and a terribly placed turning lane. Corolla slowed down to turn and I was next to a truck that was behind that car when he decides to turn into my lane. I ended up in the emergency lane and the right wheels in the gravel. BRZ is fine but I am getting wheels soon so I'm hoping the universe gives me a break from bad drivers.
haison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #23
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Strangely it's the opposite for me. My previous car was an Echo (I know I know) and I got dangerously cut off almost daily. The Echo is small, but it's also pretty tall so I just didn't get it. Meanwhile, it seems to be a rarity in this. I've found myself wondering if DRLs actually help (since the Echo didn't have them).
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:59 AM   #24
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
It's not an invisible car problem, it's a "smaller than a truck" car problem.
I think its just an "other drivers are idiot" problems. I've had just as many people pull these stunts when driving my Z71 Suburban (don't get much more "in your line of vision" than that) and the two Astros I have had as family cars. My first Astro was rear ended 4 times in 10 years, and my second one twice. Each time it was while I was at a dead-stop at a light or leaving a parking lot.

Like @Akari I've learned from years of two-wheel riding you just have to be on the defense at all times. I think for some here it seems like the amount has increased because this is the car you've cared the most about. That heightens your awareness much like riding a motorcycle in rush hour traffic.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
kavanagh (08-21-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It's just that people don't even look...

I've watched people change lanes. They don't look. It has nothing to do with small car big car, they just ASSUME it's clear to change lanes or that people will get out of their way.

If they don't see you (without even looking in their mirrors) they will pull on over like it's nobody's business.

It's crazy... Then when you're like "What are you doing???", they look at you like YOU'RE the crazy one...

Jaden

p.s. what society needs is some good ole fashioned ass beatings and people will stop doing it.. well probably not, but I'll feel better....
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #26
ClifraJones

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Scion Fr-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupedUpSubie View Post
I find many people to have the, oh its a sports car let me screw with them or oh its a sports car let me speed up and stay with them mentality.

I'm not sure if this is what happens to me but I can be cruising along and other sports cars and muscle cars will just be cruising along with me at relatively the same speed but family cars, SUVs and pickup trucks will fly by me and cut in front of me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ClifraJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #27
ClifraJones

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Scion Fr-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

Jaden

p.s. what society needs is some good ole fashioned ass beatings and people will stop doing it.. well probably not, but I'll feel better....

Yeah. I know what you mean. I don't advocate violence but if there was one thing I learned playing hockey in my youth was "if doing something stupid meant the big guy was gonna kick your ass, you thought twice about doing something stupid".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ClifraJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #28
Fareast auto part

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This why I installed a air horn to replace the puny oem , it works .......sometimes.
Fareast auto part is offline   Reply With Quote