follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #10487
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Sojhinn, you should be the new producer of these kits. I feel like you know them the best. Just figure out how to source the parts, the demand for these kits is still very high.

I hope financially you can move successfully and get your car in working order!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Honestly, I have contemplated that. But until I have confirmation that Rob is out, I would never betray his trust like that.

If I hear otherwise, I will let everyone know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
Aztec (08-08-2017), DAEMANO (08-09-2017), JermMX5 (08-08-2017), Target70 (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #10488
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I sure hope SOMEONE takes over if because the demand is there. Put me down on that list too.
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BuffDriver For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:18 AM   #10489
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don't think people realize how good the system is without being in the driver's seat ^^
So true.

For what would be the majority of 86 owners out there, Phantom levels of power would likely be more than satisfactory. I sit at roughly 235whp/210tq on e85 and almost never does this feel like not enough. Still, people get hooked on the idea of having a race car levels of performance and never leave the street meanwhile not having a clue about the satisfaction that 80 more lb/ft of torque at 3500 RPM brings day to day.

2500 bucks and my car feels damn near perfect.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Aztec (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:33 AM   #10490
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
So true.

For what would be the majority of 86 owners out there, Phantom levels of power would likely be more than satisfactory. I sit at roughly 235whp/210tq on e85 and almost never does this feel like not enough. Still, people get hooked on the idea of having a race car levels of performance and never leave the street meanwhile not having a clue about the satisfaction that 80 more lb/ft of torque at 3500 RPM brings day to day.

2500 bucks and my car feels damn near perfect.
Stop it. You took the words out of my mouth hahaha

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:54 AM   #10491
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffDriver View Post
I sure hope SOMEONE takes over if because the demand is there. Put me down on that list too.
I really hope that Rob is simply taking a break or maybe just in need of some time on his own. After all he poured years into this project.

The unique trait about Rob is that the guy possessed the skill set and background that helped him to integrate all the disparate systems in the kit and fabricate the stuff he couldn't source. Who has that? IMO most importantly his laser focus on his goals mattered most. He knew exactly what he wanted the kit to be and kept it in that pocket. His vision.

Making something like this happen where so many others failed took life experience which in the end maybe mattered equally if not more than just passion about product. I guess what I mean is that had the experience to know what to do. He didn't care to be and be known as "the ESC guy" or a guy that got rich off of it (which he didn't), he seemed to just want to make it the best that he could. I admire the shit out of that. Good on him and great for many but too few of us.

I've thought about picking this project up because I don't want things to end either. Mentioned it to Fenton. I've been quiet about it because in the end I'd rather have a return to "normal" and most importantly see Rob's skills and vision back on the project. This is his labor and his efforts. Speculating about what if just feels kind of opportunistic at this point.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Aztec (08-09-2017), Sojhinn (08-09-2017), Target70 (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 05:32 AM   #10492
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
The unique trait about Rob is that the guy possessed the skill set and background that helped him to integrate all the disparate systems in the kit and fabricate the stuff he couldn't source. Who has that?....
This isn't intended to be an offense, or mockery of any kind... it's just.. you sounded like you were writing the opening pages of his biography and it reminded me of this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4m848bh1iY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4m848bh1iY[/ame]
Sojhinn (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #10493
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
This isn't intended to be an offense, or mockery of any kind... it's just.. you sounded like you were writing the opening pages of his biography and it reminded me of this:
All good. If I sound like a fan it's because I am. I also have enough life experience to internalize the work this project took. Point is that IMO the reason why so many have tried to pull this off in the aftermarket and failed is that they underestimated the scale of know-how needed to get this integration to the production state that its in today. Rob had decades of knowledge and/or background in engineering, electronics, CFD/CAE (as a pro), software development, fabrication, a full machine shop, motorsports as a hobby and years to invest. Many people are enthusiastic and a few have tried to do the same, but didn't get across the line (or even near it) simply because they overestimate the power of their enthusiasm and skills while underestimating the scale of the task.

Last edited by DAEMANO; 08-09-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #10494
iJeff

Drives: 2016 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
It would be great if this project could be "open sourced" if production isn't continuing.
iJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #10495
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJeff View Post
It would be great if this project could be "open sourced" if production isn't continuing.
Dunno if Rob is going to give this project to the OSS/H community.

Back in 2013 there was a 1.5 year effort by a very smart user neutron256 (also an E.E. IIRC) to sort of reverse engineer or perhaps parallel engineer an Open Source ESC. He explored super caps, different motors, custom speed controllers and all kinds of fun maths. He put more knowledge, time, effort and energy into what many people are dreaming of here can or will ever do. End result was that the he determined that the amount of work (like the rent) was too damn high to get a 24v or higher system online, so he switched to a much less powerful 12v system. Then eventually the project died.

Here's a fun quote that gives an idea of just some of the challenges ahead in the Open Source route...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
Very useful. What software are you using to do the analysis?

I'm not surprised by the resonance. It's a massive impeller and it's almost impossible to balance it well enough for those speeds. As I learned already a 6mm motor shaft isn't enough to hold up to that slight imbalance, and even though an 8mm shaft can hold the wheel in position the vibration is still there. No doubt this will lead to failure of some component (most likely motor bearings) sooner they they otherwise would. There are billet impellers (rather then cast) which would be lighter and probably better balanced but the are also very expensive.

This is part of the reason I'm also working on a smaller compressor based on a T3/T4 turbo. I'm planing on testing both and seeing which is overall best.
Rob simply designed and fabricated his own parts when problems like this arose.

Anyhoo... the Open Source thread is just over 50 pages long and still a great and informative read.

Open Source Electric Supercharger
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41148

Last edited by DAEMANO; 08-09-2017 at 02:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Gums (08-09-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #10496
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
One thing for sure, If I heard about a Kickstarter campaign for this I would drop $1K in a heartbeat for a chance at promoting the 'company' n production. Even with a chance on losing it.
Good ideas deserves to live!

I run on Grand Speedway and MSR-H and it would be like xxx to have some Phantom boost!
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #10497
Carsnguitars

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys. Still working on getting my Phantom ESC back up and running. I seem to remember there being an electrical diagram on the Phantom website. I don't recall if it was a schematic or a basic block diagram. Does anyone have this that could share it with me, or am I not remembering correctly? Thanks!
Carsnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #10498
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsnguitars View Post
Hi guys. Still working on getting my Phantom ESC back up and running. I seem to remember there being an electrical diagram on the Phantom website. I don't recall if it was a schematic or a basic block diagram. Does anyone have this that could share it with me, or am I not remembering correctly? Thanks!
What's wrong with it?

Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #10499
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:

Don't have the diagram but from what I remember it wasn't very detailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #10500
Carsnguitars

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
What's wrong with it?

Here's my from the owners thread a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Hi guys. New poster here. I recently aquired a Phantom V2 ESC. But I'm having problems getting the DC motor to engage. Basically by all indications I should be good. I see 28.2 v on the meter. New pc680 batteries. I get all the beeps on startup. The controller fans starts up. Yet nothing from the motor/compressor on either click of the footswitch. Checked and rechecked all connections. I have also checked continuity on every wire that is between two components. Have been in contact with Sojhinn and Fenton, even with their help and suggestions no solution has come to light. Not too far back in this thread member @eft86 seemed to be exactly where I am. Didn't see where, if he found a solution. I msg him but haven't heard back. Maybe he's moved on? Anyway, I'm hoping one of you good folks will read this and have something further for me to try. I'm at a loss right now. Btw I did try Rob as well, but not heard there either. Thanks for any thoughts you can give.
Carsnguitars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive