follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2014, 12:34 AM   #1
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT files with Tactrix Open Port 2.0

Well for now I decided to go ahead and use the Tactrix and Rom Raider for tuning.

I may eventually get an OFT for logging, but to start with I wanted to test the waters so to speak...

I successfully flashed the stg 1 91 oct tune using the openport.

The instructions that I found were a tad obfuscated though so I thought I would share the process I used for insuring that I didn't brick my Ecu.

First off the work that has been done by some in providing ECUFlash definitions specifically for the OFT files is phenomenal and deserves mention.

Without them, making sure you use the correct definitions would be much more convoluted.

Now, the fact that you not only have to use different definitions for the base and the car definition can be a little confusing, especially if you want to switch back to your stock ones or flash your stock ones after working on them in Rom Raider.

What I did to better facilitate this is change the file name of the xml of each one in the ecu flash folder that they reside in.

After installing the latest software version of ecu flash, I moved all of the definitions to another folder on my computer. Well I moved the 2012,2013,2014 folders in OpenECU\ecuflash\rommetadata\subaru\BRZ to another location so I would be sure I would have original backups.

Then I created a new folder called 2013, since that is what my original ECU read I did on my car showed up as. I won't have multiple definitions because I don't need them.

I then copied two definitions into that folder. The original that came with version 1.44 and the new one I got off of https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/tree/OFT

Since I would be flashing the OFT roms first, I left the OFT definition for my car, A01D, named what it originally was and I added 'orig' to the end of the definition that came with ECUFlash (I'll get to why I did this in just a minute).

In the folder OpenECU\ecuflash\rommetadata\subaru\BASES I copied all the files into a secondary location and I copied the original back into the folder and added onto its' name 'orig'

Then I copied the 32bitbase.xml file from the same location as the other OFT defs listed above into the same location.

You have to use the raw tab to save the files correctly and while they suggest just clicking on the raw tab and then saving as, I preferred to select all, copy and then paste it into notepad++ and save as xml from notepad++.

Now this is the part that seemed obfuscated in all of the instructions I found...

How do you know you're using the correct definitions???

Well you can look at the hex or you can just look at some of the tables, but what is going to look different on the tables with the correct definitions versus the wrong ones???

Well, what I found was that on the base timing a and b the engine load values were WAY off when using the wrong definitions. Some of the engine load level settings were in the 100's of thousands. It should read from about .15 to 1.40.

If you download the 32bitbase file the wrong way or directly without using the raw version, it will error when you first start ECUflash. so look in the log when you boot up for an error on the 32bitbase file as well.

Now why did I leave and rename the 'orig' files in those folders?

Because being able to flash back to stock or with a RR'd version of the stock file is as easy as naming 32bitbase.xml and ........a01d, ao1c, etc to the same file name with 'oft' at the end and removing the 'orig' from the other files and then rebooting ECUflash and loading the other rom.

DON'T RELY ON JUST THAT!!!!!

Always check the tables before you flash even using a system like I did. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

So I went out after verifying and double checking all of this and I flashed my car with the stg1 91 oct oft file.

It took about a minute and a half to flash. Completed without issue. I went through the procedure for utilizing a new flash and then took it for a test drive.

It's definitely an improvement over stock. Thanks Shiv, you do excellent work.

I'll probably do an E85 run sometime in the next few weeks to check it out.

But really I'll be wanting to tune for one of my FI systems as I get some prototypes finished up.

I want to do some logging and make sure everything is good, but the first step is done, a successful flash.

Jaden

p.s. Please do not rely on my description of the tables, there could be other things wrong EVEN if the timing A and B tables have the correct engine load values.

Last edited by Jaden; 12-15-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
akyp (12-15-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #2
Ammonia

Drives: Whiteout FRS, Audi A4, 135i (sold)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Welp, looks like im getting an OpenFlash tablet.
B-R-Z (12-16-2014), Koa (02-16-2015), Shiv@Openflash (12-16-2014)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
burdickjp

Drives: 2013 ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just got my OpenPort in and found the OFT rom for my ECU opened just fine with the regular RR defs for that ECU. All the tables looked good. I then opened it with EcuFlash and again, they looked fine. I then flashed it to the ECU. Everything looks good thus far. Will log and report back if anything is wrong.
burdickjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:18 AM   #4
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bur****jp View Post
I just got my OpenPort in and found the OFT rom for my ECU opened just fine with the regular RR defs for that ECU. All the tables looked good. I then opened it with EcuFlash and again, they looked fine. I then flashed it to the ECU. Everything looks good thus far. Will log and report back if anything is wrong.
If you've got an engine that starts then you'll have no issue. I guess you flashed a B01C then?

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
burdickjp

Yes, I did!
Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Due to the number of those using OTS ROMs and the increasing number of Tactrix users it is probably worth noting down the unedited Cal IDs. Of hand, the instant ones you can use (at the time of writing - V2.0#) are:
B01C
D00C
A01G
D00G

That will cover the most used ECUs. I will assume that the auto tunes are done on the same type, however I haven't checked them.

If you want to see if a particular ROM has been edited, get a hex editor like HxD. If you search for ZA1J then the 1st 2 instances will be the cal ID of your ECU, the 3rd is of the ROM ID. If all 3 are the same then the tune is not cal edited and can be used by Tactrix and standard Romraider definitions. If the 1st 2 are different to the 3rd, then the ROM has been changed for OFT compatibility and should not be used.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
thambu19 (11-12-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Toyota John
Calle Atun

Drives: 13 FRS, 93 Mr2, 85 ae86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Why is everyone using Romraider? I found it to be easier to just use Ecuflash to edit my ROMs.
Toyota John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota John View Post
Why is everyone using Romraider? I found it to be easier to just use Ecuflash to edit my ROMs.
What benefits does it give?
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Toyota John
Calle Atun

Drives: 13 FRS, 93 Mr2, 85 ae86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
What benefits does it give?
If you have Tactrix OP2 cable you have to use ecuflash to read and write rom files anyway. The rest of the Subaru peoples use romraider because it can log but that feature doesn't work yet on the frs/brz/gt86 yet as far as i know. Why use Romraider if ecuflash can do everything romraider can and more.
Toyota John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
burdickjp

Quote:
If you have Tactrix OP2 cable you have to use ecuflash to read and write rom files anyway. The rest of the Subaru peoples use romraider because it can log but that feature doesn't work yet on the frs/brz/gt86 yet as far as i know. Why use Romraider if ecuflash can do everything romraider can and more.
That's my current position on it as well, but I haven't been using the hardware or software for very long.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Ahh, I assumed you meant Ecuflash had a more intuitive UI or something like that. Should have used "more convenient", not "easier".
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #12
ST-A
Master Tuner

Drives: GT86 + Celica ST205 GT-4 WRC + MR2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i read my 2013 GT86 using ecuflash and tactrix OP2 but when i want to save it as a bin file i got following fault

does anybody now what i'm doing wrong?

i put the ZA1JA00G.xml from github in de rommetdata/subaru/brz/2012 folder and the 32bitbase in the bases folder.

do i forgot something?
ST-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #13
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-A View Post
i read my 2013 GT86 using ecuflash and tactrix OP2 but when i want to save it as a bin file i got following fault

does anybody now what i'm doing wrong?

i put the ZA1JA00G.xml from github in de rommetdata/subaru/brz/2012 folder and the 32bitbase in the bases folder.

do i forgot something?

Eeeek , i think you need to stop and do some more reading. You dont need any definitions to read the ecu image or save it as a bin file.

Your picture is a bit blurred but it looks like its says 16bitbase, you need to be using the 32bitbase and the updated one not the one that comes with the ecuflash download.

Did you select brz as the vehicle type it looks like you may have selected an old wrx 16 bit ecu or something, as brz is 32 bit ecu and hence needs 32bitbase file

have a read of the tactix link below

Tactrix works well, but their are virtually no safeguards, you need to undestand what you are doing and have a basic understanding of roms calid definitions and probably probably be able to use a hex editor to check calid in roms.

else its very easy to brick your ecu

Last edited by steve99; 02-13-2016 at 07:58 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
ST-A
Master Tuner

Drives: GT86 + Celica ST205 GT-4 WRC + MR2
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
yeah i selected 2012 BRZ as it also shows in the bottom right corner, i updated also the 32bit base file so i really don't know why it slects the 16bit file.

i've done over 300 subaru and over 200 mitsu mappings in the past using ecuflash and romraider so i think thats not the problem.

going to remove all past ecuflash installations and backups and reainstall to see if that helps.
ST-A is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST-A For This Useful Post:
steve99 (02-13-2016)