follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
dkstylezz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
stock front drivers side suspension clunk.

this morning i was driving and was getting into the left turning lane and heard a clunk from the drivers side suspension? I thought i ran over a rock or a can or an object on the road so ignored it.

After work i was making a left turn into a parking lot and heard the noise again from the drivers side suspension. Felt the clunk on my clutch pedal. what could be causing this noise?

I have stock suspension and seems to make the noise on left turns. wheel not turned all the way to the left.

Im concerned if this would break down on the road and possibly cause an accident.

Havent had a chance to check under the car or under the hood yet. has anyone had this problem and had a chance to fix it?

I have searched and read most threads but they all seem to be from aftermarket suspension mods.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
dkstylezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstylezz View Post
this morning i was driving and was getting into the left turning lane and heard a clunk from the drivers side suspension? I thought i ran over a rock or a can or an object on the road so ignored it.

After work i was making a left turn into a parking lot and heard the noise again from the drivers side suspension. Felt the clunk on my clutch pedal. what could be causing this noise?

I have stock suspension and seems to make the noise on left turns. wheel not turned all the way to the left.

Im concerned if this would break down on the road and possibly cause an accident.

Havent had a chance to check under the car or under the hood yet. has anyone had this problem and had a chance to fix it?

I have searched and read most threads but they all seem to be from aftermarket suspension mods.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
I have the same thing happening to my car, I've had it on a lift a couple of times but it's not really apparent what the problem. I suspect it's the front lower control arm pivot bushing but I'm not exactly sure.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
dkstylezz (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If it's a loud, spring-like noise, it may just be the stock springs moving in the MacPherson strut.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
dkstylezz (10-22-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
dkstylezz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
If it's a loud, spring-like noise, it may just be the stock springs moving in the MacPherson strut.

-alex
You might be correct. Ive done some research on google and found many others with macpherson strut having similar issues. It seems to be some sort of bearing getting stuck making the springs clunk. towards the top of the strut. It hasn't made the same noise since i posted this. I have a set of RSR club racer chilling in my house waiting to get installed along with new rims. hope it was the strut and ill post again if i find out anything new.
dkstylezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstylezz View Post
You might be correct. Ive done some research on google and found many others with macpherson strut having similar issues. It seems to be some sort of bearing getting stuck making the springs clunk.
Actually, the reason why they cluck (esp on new cars) is often because the spring is not 100% seated in the bottom seat of the strut.

A tiny bit of room allows the spring to move when you turn the wheels. It's just how it is designed.

The only true fix is to disassemble the front suspension and reset the position of the spring.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote