follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Spectral Entity

Drives: 16 Scion FR-S Hot Lava, 81 DeLorean
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
One less lava on the road

My poor car was creamed in the rear late Saturday night by a rubber-necker trying to see the dead body on the shoulder of the road.

My girlfriend and I was heading back from a great evening in Chattanooga when we approached an incident on I-24 West. The way the road is, you happen upon the bridge somewhat suddenly, but paying attention you have plenty of time to stop.

Anyway, we saw something was going on up ahead so I slow down to a near stop with the rest of the left lane traffic.

A car transporter we passed a couple miles earlier came in hot and heavy in the right lane and almost took out a pickup, but made it safely to the shoulder. After seeing that, we noticed the body laying up ahead and I told my girlfriend there was a dead body, to look over at me. Just as she did, we passed by the police man directing traffic, then WHAM!!!!!

I maneuvered to the left into the median, past the police car ahead and not knowing if more vehicles would be following, kept rolling the lowest point and asked my girlfriend if she was okay. By the time I was out of the car and around to her side and helping her out, a couple EMTs from the motorcycle fatality were by us helping out. Fortunately, we both came out okay; I'm sore as hell at my lower back and back of the head from from the impact, and my girlfriend suffered a couple of minor sprains was discharged with some meds after a couple of hours and a few tests/scans.

So for now, my mom is letting me drive her car for a few days until I can get the police report and contact the other person's insurance. I know, I know, I should've gotten the info at the scene but my mind was on her and when I did start to go up there the officer met up with me and we went back to my car.

I'd love to get another 86, but I don't know if I will; mine endured three accidents - thankfully none were at fault; they also don't produce Hot Lava anymore, so I'd be looking at a pre-owned one, and I'm unsure the financial difference I'll be left with after the insurance pays out (I still owe 15K on it).

I loved the hell out of my car, and was always getting compliments everywhere I went; my car suited my personality and "fit me", but I suppose it's time to look at something more "sensible". At least I still have the DeLorean stored away, so I'll still have one fun car.

https://imgur.com/a/YlcJbAw

Last edited by Spectral Entity; 10-08-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: link to images
Spectral Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spectral Entity For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-08-2018), Dadhawk (10-09-2018), Spuds (10-09-2018), Tcoat (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,858 Times in 16,438 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Entity View Post
My poor car was creamed in the rear late Saturday night by a rubber-necker trying to see the dead body on the shoulder of the road.
Well now, that's a shame -

I sure hope you and your GF don't suffer any long term medical complications. I suggest you and your GF consult with your family physician, even though you may feel fine right now.

So is your car totaled? It looks like it might be.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Spectral Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well now, that's a shame -

I sure hope you and your GF don't suffer any long term medical complications. I suggest you and your GF consult with your family physician, even though you may feel fine right now.

So is your car totaled? It looks like it might be.

humfrz
I fully expect it to be; the guy at the tow yard showed me the bend in the body weld near at the rear near the trunk lid corner and up top near the roof line where he said they'd have to cut it to replace the rear of the car. Basically cut it behind the front seats and replace the body from there back.

Oddly enough, the car is technically driveable, as they drove it onto the flat bed and pulled it off and drove it to park in the yard.

I won't know for certain until I can get the police repoart and file a claim with teh other party's insurance, though.

Heh, maybe some aspiring modder will get it and make it into Brat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spectral Entity For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
JohnJuan (10-09-2018), RToyo86 (10-08-2018), Spectral Entity (10-08-2018), sprintertrueno86 (10-09-2018), Spuds (10-09-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #5
Spectral Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Exactly my sentiments, literally my words after the second incident. Swear to god for a bright ass orange color, people sure loved to smack into me while standing still!!
Tcoat (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Spectral Entity (10-09-2018), Tcoat (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,472 Times in 3,208 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Exactly my sentiments, literally my words after the second incident. Swear to god for a bright ass orange color, people sure loved to smack into me while standing still!!
I guarantee you the asshat that did the rear-ending was probably not even looking at the FRS and was too busy looking ahead/to the side to see what the heck was going on.

I get it, humans are curious creatures.

But please try your damned hardest when happening upon an accident to focus on where you're driving.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the loss. Glad you two are relatively safe/unhurt, at least.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Spectral Entity (10-09-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #8
KFTH86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I suggest you and your GF consult with your family physician, even though you may feel fine right now.
Before anything else, I'm seconding this - definitely get checked out, if nothing else to have the accident in your medical record. Injuries can take a bit to get to the point where you realize it really is an injury and not any residual soreness that might fade. The longer you wait to go to a doctor, the harder it will be to convince the insurance company to pay for anything related to the accident, injury-wise.

In the meantime, RIP your car.
KFTH86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KFTH86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #9
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Don't mess with back injuries and ignore them because they don't seem so bad at the moment. 30 years later they will come back to haunt you. Ask me how I know... It's probably not too big of a deal that you didn't get the other drivers info as this happened right in front of the LEO handling the original incident, I'm sure they have everything necessary. That's what happened when my Challenger was totaled by a stop sign runner and I was dealing with my wife and kids and ambulance stuff.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #10
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Since you're local... Figured you could enjoy a chuckle, and also seriously consider what gravitylover said about your back. Those injuries may not ever fully recover so joking aside you may need to look at options to make sure you're compensated should they be a constant.

Sorry about the car, but glad to hear you and your gf seemed to have made it out relatively unscathed!
Old 10-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Hot-Lava_Dave

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

My girlfriend and I was heading back from a great evening in Chattanooga when we approached an incident on I-24 West. The way the road is, you happen upon the bridge somewhat suddenly, but paying attention you have plenty of time to stop.

Anyway, we saw something was going on up ahead so I slow down to a near stop with the rest of the left lane traffic.

A car transporter we passed a couple miles earlier came in hot and heavy in the right lane and almost took out a pickup, but made it safely to the shoulder. After seeing that, we noticed the body laying up ahead and I told my girlfriend there was a dead body, to look over at me. Just as she did, we passed by the police man directing traffic, then WHAM!!!!!

I maneuvered to the left into the median, past the police car ahead and not knowing if more vehicles would be following, kept rolling the lowest point and asked my girlfriend if she was okay. By the time I was out of the car and around to her side and helping her out, a couple EMTs from the motorcycle fatality were by us helping out. Fortunately, we both came out okay; I'm sore as hell at my lower back and back of the head from from the impact, and my girlfriend suffered a couple of minor sprains was discharged with some meds after a couple of hours and a few tests/scans.

So for now, my mom is letting me drive her car for a few days until I can get the police report and contact the other person's insurance. I know, I know, I should've gotten the info at the scene but my mind was on her and when I did start to go up there the officer met up with me and we went back to my car.

I'd love to get another 86, but I don't know if I will; mine endured three accidents - thankfully none were at fault; they also don't produce Hot Lava anymore, so I'd be looking at a pre-owned one, and I'm unsure the financial difference I'll be left with after the insurance pays out (I still owe 15K on it).

I loved the hell out of my car, and was always getting compliments everywhere I went; my car suited my personality and "fit me", but I suppose it's time to look at something more "sensible". At least I still have the DeLorean stored away, so I'll still have one fun car.

https://imgur.com/a/YlcJbAw

That's a bummer man, but glad you're relatively ok. Shit can happen so fast out there and in the blink of an eye.
Hot-Lava_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot-Lava_Dave For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #12
Spectral Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I guarantee you the asshat that did the rear-ending was probably not even looking at the FRS and was too busy looking ahead/to the side to see what the heck was going on.

I get it, humans are curious creatures.

But please try your damned hardest when happening upon an accident to focus on where you're driving.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the loss. Glad you two are relatively safe/unhurt, at least.
Oh yeah, totally; the tow guy said the driver was a younger guy so for sure too busy wanting to see the corpse. The section of highway is a slight blind spot to lead up to where the accident happened. I-24 West, just past mile marker 4 after you cross from TN over into GA.

Appreciate the kind words, as well.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
Spectral Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Don't mess with back injuries and ignore them because they don't seem so bad at the moment. 30 years later they will come back to haunt you. Ask me how I know... It's probably not too big of a deal that you didn't get the other drivers info as this happened right in front of the LEO handling the original incident, I'm sure they have everything necessary. That's what happened when my Challenger was totaled by a stop sign runner and I was dealing with my wife and kids and ambulance stuff.
Damn, so you were already helping them with an accident they were in, then your car got creamed by someone else???

And yeah, I'm just waiting for the report to be available to get the info.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Spectral Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimsey47 View Post

Since you're local... Figured you could enjoy a chuckle, and also seriously consider what gravitylover said about your back. Those injuries may not ever fully recover so joking aside you may need to look at options to make sure you're compensated should they be a constant.

Sorry about the car, but glad to hear you and your gf seemed to have made it out relatively unscathed!
Thank you!!! I've been told by a few folks to consult an attorney and I kid you not, him and Alexander Shunarrah were the two who immediately popped in my head due to those blasted commercials!!!
Kimsey47 (10-10-2018)